Tolmouth. BR(S) (Sea) Salt or Binegar

JZ

Another little job done tonight. Wired up the starting signals at the platform ends.

post-15-0-28785700-1378416118_thumb.jpg

These are the only colour light signals, the others will be semaphore. I started a topic a while ago about mixing signals and the good souls of RMweb provided many examples, some even on the same platform.

Still piles of junk on the layout. As soon as all the fitted Tortoises are wired in I can put it back underneath.

Wired up all the tortoises this afternoon, knees and back aching a bit :sad_mini:. Clearing the tops off tomorrow after putting all the shelves back. Did a trial run with a 5MT with it's maximum load, 7 carriages, and was rather surprised that it started slipping at the top of the incline. A bit of head scratching, then noticed that I hadn't replaced one of the supports when I fitted the point motor in that area. Replaced it and it was fine, including stopping and starting on the hill. Used Hornby Pullmans for a little extra drag, so quite happy with the results.

Promised a photo once the tops were tidied up a bit. Bit out of focus, but I post nonetheless. Busy time at the junction. 73014 runs in with the down Dorset Belle, DMU passes with a service to Bristol, Warship waits to join mainline with an up boat train to Paddington, while an M7 waits to come off the branch with a pick-up goods from Monksbury.

post-15-0-19940900-1378668700_thumb.jpg

The coaches on the left are standing where the carriage sidings will be.

Had a running session this afternoon. Gave me a chance to play trains for the first time in a year :sungum: . But the main reason was to see how it operated. One thing I found was that while the uncoupling magnets work well, I need another row, 3 is just too tight for locating the train, 4 rows should make it easier. No major problems there. I found it a bit limiting not having the carriage sidings, the MPD and the rest of the goods yard not laid and this will relieve some of the congestion. Overall I'm happy that is does what I want it to do and will be so much better when the rest gets built. But before that, I must get the scenic work around the station finished, as the board will be too wide to comfortably work at the back. need to get some thin plywood cut for a curved backscene behind yesterday's picture.

Anyway, a few picture from the end of the day.

post-15-0-10046300-1378753852_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-95455600-1378753881_thumb.jpg

I would have put a few more up, but they're too big. I'll have to crop them a bit.

A few more now that I have had a chance to make the files smaller.

post-15-0-24022600-1378798124_thumb.jpg

I quite like the W&M railbus. OK, they were never seen in the West, but if the Abbotsbury branch had remained open, who knows?

post-15-0-56683300-1378798247_thumb.jpg

I know there is a spelling mistake on the destination blind, but I hope it doesn't show too much. Beside, the guy who made them at swindon wasn't the greatest of spellers.

And my 108.

post-15-0-27406500-1378798297_thumb.jpg

Today is about going through my coaching stock and rationalising it a bit. Somercombe being a through station meant that I was able to run 10 coach trains (longest fiddle yard road). On Tolmouth the longest platform takes 7+loco. I think it will mainly be catering vehicles that get sold off, but I don't want to do something I will later regret. And I don't want the situation where I use the same rake again and again. So this is what I plan,

1 set SR Mk1s.

1 set Maunsells.

1 set Bulleids.

1 set WR Mk1s.

1 set Hawksworth/Colletts.

1 set Maroon Mk1s.

1 set LMR mixed stock for excursions from NW.

1 set ER Gresley/Thompson for excursions from NE.

1 sleeper set for the FO Newcastle-Tolmouth and the SO return.

Any left over Bulleids and Maunsells can be for local services.

When I did the original test to determine the best slope for the gradient, I used a straight 14" piece of timber with the rails loosely  on top. What I didn't take into account was the extra drag that the curve would cause. Add to this that test train was all new, sweetly running coaches. The train I have been using the last couple of days is a 6-car set of Bachmann Mk1s picked up second-hand from various sources. Not the best runners, but a good indicator of what loco's will haul. I have made a list of what I expect each loco' type to pull and the only one to disappoint, other than an M7, is my Bachmann Hall. My Hornby Grange will take this load with no problem and will happily start it on the gradient. Will try the Hall later with some newer coaches and see how it does. My expectations for a class 5 is 7 cars and all the other handle this.

Still playing. Must get back to work on the scenics soon. Problem with the haulage of the Hall has been sorted. I use the M7 to bank :sungum: . Did have an odd problem with it this afternoon though. Running it out of the fiddle yard, it ran over a point that has yet to have a polarity switch fitted, I'll be using Seep motors with built in switches here, and the blade was dead. The loco the behaved erratically, jumping around, stopping, starting and generally not responding to control. It is fitted with a TCS T4X, a bit OTT for a steam loco, but all I had at the time of fitting. Did a factory reset and reprogrammed it and all was well again.

Anyway, a few more photo's from today.

post-15-0-49064500-1378927392_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-55245900-1378927414_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-78975300-1378927427_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-47225900-1378927436_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-43072900-1378927445_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-29660800-1378927453_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-61228500-1378927460_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-60128600-1378927468_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-64884700-1378927481_thumb.jpg

Need to finish the water crane and paint those wires on the signal backs.

Before I go back to the scenery behind the station, I've decide to look at some signals. As I said earlier, I will be using a mix of semaphore and colour light. Well the colour light ones are installed and working. Now to have a go at some working semaphores. I dug out some pieces from MSE that I have and also some Ratio SR rail-built ones and inspired by StevAtBax and his wonderful step by step thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59687-semaphore-signals-4mm-scale-mainly/,.While I don't hold out much hope of achieving anything as good, I will be having a go at producing something that looks the part and is suitable for the location. 

A couple of hours were spent this afternoon building my first semaphore.

post-15-0-58940100-1379536156_thumb.jpg

This is the signal for the junction. The distant will be fixed, it could do with some form of platform indicator as well. The junction gives access to the goods yard and harbour branch. It still needs some form of bracket under the crossbar, need to find some thin brass strip for this. Lamps and finials will be from the MSE range.

Did a little more work on the signal before needing to ready myself for work.

post-15-0-30995200-1379589370_thumb.jpg

Lamp positions need adjusting and maybe the brackets need to be at 45 degrees. Some form of railing needs to be around the platform. OK, not up to the standards of SteveAtBax, but this is my first attempt. I shall finish this off and then see if I'm happy with it. If not, several part are salvageable and it won't have cost a huge amount. All the other signals will be single post, so off the shelf MSE or Ratio kits will be used.

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of updates doesn't mean lack of progress. Well, actually it does :nono: . I have been playing trains for the last few days. Really just making sure everything works and seeing how the working of the layout fits my plans. And I must say it does. OK, it will be much easier when the carriage sidings are in and the goods yard in done. But on the whole it works well. Work did resume on the street behind the station today. Putting wires on the poles and connecting the houses to their electricity supply. While doing this I kept looking at those bare, bare platforms. They need more than a few light standards and seats. In an earlier post I was toying with canopies and I think they really need them. What to use is the question. I have enough of the Tri-ang ones to do about 2/3rds of 1 & 2, but will need some more for 3 & 4. Or do I build something ? Watch this space.

'scuse me asking, but why have you used ex-L&SWR lattice-post *square* post finials on *round* tubular posts?

Only *temporary* until I get to an *exhibition* to get the *right* ones.

Today's tedious job.

post-15-0-63974800-1380726815.jpg

post-15-0-77015700-1380726822.jpg

post-15-0-97240000-1380726829.jpg

Some are a bit slack, but will be tensioned when connected to station and goods shed.

To be honest, I find the scenic work tedious in general. I find it's easy to put off jobs and play trains instead, or get on with rolling stock jobs. Much more interesting. But this work must be done so I can get on with stage two, goods yard and carriage sidings. This will extend the layout to about 3' to 3'6", making it much more difficult to reach the back easily.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of weeks since last update. Most jobs done since then are of the unseen nature, fitting and wiring Seeps in the fiddle yard. Did put some grass down by the side of the signal box though. Still not decided what to do about canopies, even put together a Peco overall roof that I've had many years, but it doesn't suit the location. Spending this evening looking at GWR canopies in books and also considering doing something like the 1954(?)  concrete jobbie at Portishead. Will probably resume posting photo's if and when the sizing issue is resolved as I can't be arsed to do it on each and every photo.

More thoughts on canopies.

I could scratch-build something using etched and white-metal components plus Will's/Slater's sheet.

For. It could be modelled to exactly fit the platforms.

Against. It would be an expensive way of filling the waste bin if not happy.

I could build something like this out of Plastrut and sheet.

post-15-0-18240600-1382429841.jpgpost-15-0-34558400-1382429849.jpg

For. Easy to knock up and well within my skills comfort zone. Also probably the cheapest option.

Against. A bit dreary and not in keeping with the rest of station, but it could be a replacement for one in a poor state/war damaged.

Or I could use either of these.

post-15-0-92227800-1382430207.jpgpost-15-0-79598900-1382430226.jpg

For. Not a lot of planning needed and they look OK.

Against. Both are too narrow for my platforms, 70mm, but could be widened I suppose. Could be the most expensive option.

As for canopies in general.

For. A station without them looks bare. The majority of stations had them.

Against. On a model they can hide too much. Case in point would be Westford. Lots of good looking, well built canopies on it. But as a viewer, you can only see the tops of the trains when they are in the station.

Conclusion........

More though needed. :scratchhead:

Any thoughts on the subject would be welcome.

Spent a few hours mulling this over. Price wise, the "Portishead" option is by far the cheapest. Taking into account the materials I have, an outlay of around £60 will get me what I need. Or less if I was to just use plasticard instead of Plastruct.

In contrast, the Will's and Ratio options are £115.50 and £124.65 and would both need extra work(and cost) to widen them. I gave up on the etched option when I reached £150 for the etchings alone.

So the conclusion is that I will build the "Portishead" option. At the end of the day, I don't have bottomless pockets.

PS. Like the layout is only inspired by Weymouth, the canopy will only be inspired by Portishead. Prototype for everything. You all know what I mean. :sungum:

Metcalfe have also recently released lasercut platform canopies. They do look nice but seem a tad expensive.  

I've a couple of more days to think about it. Not going to be near a model shop until Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Work has started on the Portishead inspired design, but you'll have to wait until Sunday for photo's. Pictures of Portishead appear to show that the centre section is glazed, although the later picture shows just a dark and dingy platform after closure. I shall be glazing the sides as it will let more light onto the platforms and it makes it easier to see the uncoupling points.

Slightly away from topic. I just found a picture of Portishead station on BBC Bristol website with a pannier running around what appears to be a 3-car Maunsell set. Surely an unusual working as I thought is was mostly worked by Mk1 sub's, B-sets and other former GW stock.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bristol/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8064000/8064416.stm

3rd picture in the set.

Archived