Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

Superb stuff again.

I've just made the decision that my 'large' P4 layout will be of South Pelaw junction so just a bit further down the line than your dad is modelling...

John

Tiz all ready being built in EM. http://southpelawem.blogspot.co.uk/ Most of the team are on this forum. It was suggested (In Jest) they build it in P4 so it could be linked to Blackgill and have an allmighty running session...

P

Tiz all ready being built in EM. http://southpelawem.blogspot.co.uk/ Most of the team are on this forum. It was suggested (In Jest) they build it in P4 so it could be linked to Blackgill and have an allmighty running session...

P

Found that the other day as it happens when I was starting research in to it. The location is particularly attractive as the distance between the two bridges at either end of the junction works out at around 16-17ft so a manageable size and the fact that I live around 10 minutes from the location and can remember the trains in the late 70s early 80s.

I didn't realise that the builders were on the forum and I couldn't find any contact information on the blog.

John

• Like 1

Looking forward to seein South  Pelaw develop I lived at Ouston for a good few years then down the road at Chester-le-Street.I didn't live there at the time of the 9fs, Q6s and Q7s but caught the last of the diesel workings up to Consett I've cycled the old track bed a few times.Are the Beamish cows still there

Edited by simon hudson
  • Like 1

I lived at Ouston for a good few years

Lived there all my life :)

Are the Beamish cows still there

Indeed they are - there's an old sign still in place in the undergrowth at Beamish station warning of the crane jib - keep meaning to undo it and bring it home otherwise it's just going to rust away :)

Edited by johndon
  • Like 2

Stunning modelling and full of North Eastern atmosphere, I am looking forward to seeing the layout at Scaleforum this year - it will certainly make the extended journey from Kent worthwhile. Like Mark, I can also see a return visit to Railex the following May!

• 1 month later...

Fantastic work on a bridge I know very well but unfortunately didn't take any photos of before it got demolished.

Will this be an exhibition layout, I'd love to see it in the flesh...

John

Yes the intention is to exhibit it! Sent you a PM.

For those above who seem interested, the South Pelaw blog http://southpelawem.blogspot.co.uk/  has been updated today....

Smashing random stone on them supports. Mr K will be proud of you. Mind I'm surprised you didn't have that 01 converted within seconds of it being out of the box.

I hope Martin/Richard are going to be putting the bracketry on the signal box? They have the photos...

Porcy

If I remember correctly, the bridge to the west end of Blackgill (behind the depot) was based loosely on the one at South Pelaw too. I distinctly remember cycling up there with my dad when I was about 15 to stand beside it with a tape measure for scale! Looking forward to seeing more of that layout as it develops. And I'm looking forward to being back at Railex NE again next year!

Arp

• 4 months later...

Probably going flat out preparing for Scaleforum Dave.

Precisely! I was over there last weekend to check up on things (since my assistance is usually limited to heavy-lifting and taking photos!) and it was a hive of activity. My dad is busy upgrading many of the 21-ton hoppers (both wooden and steel varieties) to ensure safer shunting (a bit of springing, sprung buffers, extra weight in the form of cast whitemetal bottoms/doors), building a V3 for the stopping passenger. finishing up and Ivatt 4MT, beefing up the diesel fleet with a couple of Type 2s for the ore trains, a EE Type 3, a brake tender and a Derby Lightweight DMU (not strictly prototypical for the line, but fun nevertheless!). Things are gradually getting there on the run up to the big weekend. I plan to visit a few more times in the next few weeks to help out with the general tidying-up, fixing of little odds and ends and then the grand dismantling! Sorry that I don't have any exciting photos to post this time round, but hopefully some of you will get to see Blackgill in the flesh in a month or so.

All the best,

Arp

• Like 4