In Cab video of Tropicana train

CraigZ

Looks a lot more impressive than its 25 mph avg speed.

Where did you get this information from? Thanks.

'S ok I found it at Tropicana - which is part of Pepsico. Total mileage is 1213miles and Juice Trains average 46 hours which is just over 26 mph on average.

Interestingly a single truck would take 44 hours to cover the same distance but what they don't say is how many trucks would be required on I95 to replace just one Juice Train - I can't be bothered to work it out but it is possible from the data on the Tropicana site. Good job those big reefers are reefers, eh?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I drink Tropical by the gallon.. Probably not doing my teeth any good but it's nice.

I know its made from concentrate over here in the UK but it's still the best.

I have just two refers in HO to run on my Florida layout and they are in the older orange colors... Err sorry colours!

I drink Tropical by the gallon.. Probably not doing my teeth any good but it's nice.

I know its made from concentrate over here in the UK but it's still the best.

I have just two refers in HO to run on my Florida layout and they are in the older orange colors... Err sorry colours!

I thought that you might be pleased to know that, according to their website, Tropicana is not made from concentrate, even in the UK! http://www.pepsico.co.uk/brands/tropicana

So you're healthier than you thought!!

I wonder if BLMA will do their new reefers as Tropicana ones sometime soon. Or are the UP reefers completely different to the Tropicana ones?

David

• RMweb Gold

I felt that a grade-crossing event could be a bit exciting at those speeds!

On my only visit to Florida, I did indeed drink some orange juice, but it had been enhanced by friends who have a secret recipe involving alcohol. Lots of alcohol. They call it Tropicoma!

I'm still using my old Apple laptop which means I cannot use the latest mapping technology from either Google or Bing.

If you find I95 NJ Turnpike by Newark Airport then just to the north of that there is the Turnpike extension that branches off toward the Holland Tunnel and Manhattan. Once it crosses Newark Bay it bends north at nearly right angles. If you look almost straight on at that bend in the road you'll find the Tropicana facility where the Juice Train ends up. Most map systems identify it for what it is when you get close.

Best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a time lapse video, shot from the cab of the Tropicana train, as it travels from Bradenton, FL, to Jersey City, NJ. 1220 miles in 32 1/2 hours, condensed to 3 minutes.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/ge-juice-train-time-lapse/20sybd2h?

I like how they have some data, like current speed, # of miles traveled, elapsed time, and also makes note of major cities as it passes through them, at the bottom of the video. Its cool how every so often it slows down...

Archived