Woolworths for Stourhampton

28XX

Ok here we go. I have chosen the Erdington branch as my prototype.

post-5868-0-26558300-1353509168_thumb.jpg

I rather like the 'Queen Anne front, Mary Ann back' contrast between the High Street elevation and the Barnabas Road elevation. Being a corner plot it also has the characteristic oval window above the corner door.

post-5868-0-97351800-1353509183_thumb.jpg

I have also found an old photo which shows the arrangement of the original display windows and public doors.

post-5868-0-49051900-1353509210.jpg

I have drawn out the brickwork using 'Paint' in 600% zoom mode. The bricks are 23 pixels long, 11 pixels deep and 7 pixels high. The mortar is 1 pixel wide.

The colour is taken from the photo by using a 'smudge' tool to average it out, then sampling and noting the RGB values. R = 101, G = 69, B = 61 in this case.

A few bricks are highlighted in a more terracotta colour.

post-5868-0-61215100-1353934890_thumb.jpg

I can't upload a .bmp file so this is a .jpg to show this stage.

The flat arch window headers have a much finer mortar line so these are represented with a slightly paler tone of the main brick colour. This will be printed out onto a creamy beige 200gsm card which will provide the mortar colour and give the bricks more depth. Coloured card stock has less (possibly none) optical whitener than pure white which I think improves the look.

• 2 weeks later...

Three copies have been made of the original layout for the three layers needed to comprise the facade. Not really necessary but easier for cutting out.

My employers have exchanged our laser printer from 600 to 1200 dpi model, so I did another test print. The output is excellent, very crisp, but too dark so I will have to change the images.

Archived