Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Definitely no 'drivel' in this thread, just full explanations of your work and through processes, but I do know what you can feel when writing at length about the modeling.

Those who enjoy your explanations will continue to enjoy your work and accompanying writings.

I hope the rebuild goes well, it is a beautiful piece of modelling you are doing.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I echo what Jamie and George have said. I have spent today repairing the damage i did to my latest build yesterday, and have come out of it with a buzz that i haven't had for a while. I'm actually looking forward to the next bit of the build.

As for the footbridge, you have already shown that you have a mastery of plasticard (your station and goods shed show this) so something that looks complicated should be a doddle for you. I hope you get your meaurements correct this time!

I think i might be tempted BTW to try to keep the curve of the original, even if this means that it rises a bit more in the middle. Having it more flat in the centre will break the lines up. You will have to try and make a sensible descision about where the uprights will go, but using the drawing and a ruler you should get something that looks right (if in doubt copy the original drawing and cut it up to show what you think the end result will look like, then you will get a better idea).

Looking forward to seeing some more amazing plastic building!

Andy G

Guest Celticwardog

HI

Think we have spoken before and I am enjoying this thread. Like the look of what is progressing and more to the point you are happy with what seemed like an impossible build. In reading this thread I think I have also had a mini epiphany. You mentioned you had come back to the hobby and abandoned a previous project and made a comparison to other that have too. This got me thinking.....so what! Yeah we would all like the "perfect" layout but life does get in the way and more to the point...without sounding all plinky plonky surely its the journey that counts and not the destination! The point being who cares if you never finish that room filling model village....as long as you have fun in the process, produce something that you you have done your best on that other people appreciate and perhaps even form a freindship.....stranger things have happened.

Keep up the good work mate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As for the footbridge, you have already shown that you have a mastery of plasticard (your station and goods shed show this) so something that looks complicated should be a doddle for you. I hope you get your meaurements correct this time!

I think i might be tempted BTW to try to keep the curve of the original, even if this means that it rises a bit more in the middle. Having it more flat in the centre will break the lines up. You will have to try and make a sensible descision about where the uprights will go, but using the drawing and a ruler you should get something that looks right (if in doubt copy the original drawing and cut it up to show what you think the end result will look like, then you will get a better idea).

Looking forward to seeing some more amazing plastic building!

Andy G

Al,

I think Andy has a point if you find it possible.  My only concern is that this time your wife will find the plasticard in the oven!

It may be an idea to do a mock up in card, at least the overbridge.  I understand cereal packets are good for that.  I am sure the ladies of the house will not notice a curved hole in the back of the cornflakes packet.  Just enough to know that you have bridged the gap and that you do not foul any stock.

• RMweb Gold

Footbridge Mark 2

Thanks again for all your comments.

I didn't get chance last night to post what I'd done, so here it is.

As we've discussed, I elected to remake the bridge span in total, rather then try to modify the existing one.

I also took note of Andy(uax6) thoughts about the construction, so I have used a thinner section styrene for the construction.

I started with the main side members, making them this time out of 3.2mm "L" section Plastruct

post-17302-0-06583600-1380559933_thumb.jpg

So I bent them as before by nailing them to a piece of wood and bunging them in the oven for 10 minutes.

Once cooled, I glued a 4mm strip of 10thou along the bottom, to form an inverted "T" section with one large flange and one narrow one.

post-17302-0-54155200-1380559939_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-46000500-1380559937_thumb.jpg

Then, using pre-cut 0.5mm x 2mm strip, I made the top rail and the uprights:

post-17302-0-36553100-1380559935_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-84316300-1380559941_thumb.jpg

As you can see I made the sections the same as the original, but with an extra bay on each end.

Having got to that stage I took one and leaned it up against the Road bridge on the layout, to get an idea of the size:

post-17302-0-06508500-1380559944_thumb.jpg

As a result, I shortened the two end bays to be the same size as the intermediate ones.

post-17302-0-61169600-1380559946_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I have made a start on adding the first lot of latticework:

post-17302-0-07827000-1380559949_thumb.jpg

So this evening, I should be mostly latticing...

However, I have a slight distraction, as this was waiting for me when I got home:

post-17302-0-02367300-1380561121_thumb.jpg

So, I may not be latticing, sorry...

:senile: :senile: :senile:

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Al,

Looking better already! I'm glad that you could get away with adding two similar bays into the span, as it looks really nicely balanced. The laticework is more 'open' now too, so it looks like you are onto a winner!

Andy G (who isn't looking forward to making latice trusses for a bridge at some point in the future!)

• RMweb Gold

Not that I'm excited at having a new toy, or anything :nono: but here's a few pics of the 3F:

post-17302-0-51926800-1380567150_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-50615500-1380567152_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-02110300-1380567159_thumb.jpg

And here's a couple of shots of it with a distinctly unloved stablemate:

post-17302-0-59948200-1380567154_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-15406900-1380567157_thumb.jpg

They both need renumbering to represent Rowsley locos.

Anyway, enough frivvvo, frvol... flzgfl... mucking about...

Back to the latticework...

:D

Al.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Al, Rowsley had lots of 3Fs, I think you need (at least) another one!

I've started dropping gentle hints regarding Christmas to various family members...

Not sure this is going to be successful however :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Footbridge Mark 2 Part 2

This is not the most exciting post ever, I'm afraid, but just a quick update on where I've got to after roughly 4 hours work.

Firstly, I forgot to show you what I'm using for the latticework,

It's Slater's Microstrip, 0.010" x 0.025"

post-17302-0-29333300-1380660160_thumb.jpg

That's a pack of 50, and I may need another of those before the bridge is finished, as I've used (I think)  eight strips so far, to get to this stage:

post-17302-0-15124700-1380660165_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-67608600-1380660162_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I have to go back and do the next layer, starting tomorrow.

Here's a shot which tries to show the thickness of the finished article. It's a lot thinner than the first attempt, so thanks Andy G :)

post-17302-0-39576500-1380660167_thumb.jpg

That's all for now,

thanks for looking.

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've started dropping gentle hints regarding Christmas to various family members...

Not sure this is going to be successful however :)

Al,

You could do what I do.  Buy what you want and then get various family members to give it to you, after all they will probably buy it with your money.  This works unless you give it to them and they put it somewhere and then forget all about it...............

Hi Al, that really is a nice piece of half lattice work, it should look better this time, although I thought it was PERFECT before, just shows what I know about scratch building.

Also Jonathan is right about the 3F's I have two, I had the un weathered, un chipped one, which I chipped and weathered and then I found a second hand Factory chipped and weathered one which is the one you have, I think they are the Dogs ****.

Then you will need a few 4F's as well. :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 1

Hello Al, The more l see your layout the more l feel l would love something in 00, nothing too big just something to play trains with, love the re-building of the bridge, looks the part.

Good luck with the rest of the build.   George

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Footbridge Mark 2 Part 3

This evening, I've completed the latticework on the new main bridge span.

Here's some pics:

post-17302-0-74379800-1380744762_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-56328000-1380744765_thumb.jpg

A comparison with the old one:

post-17302-0-95615700-1380744767_thumb.jpg

And an attempted close-up, showing details of the lattice, and the top rail I have now added:

post-17302-0-04391000-1380744770_thumb.jpg

Finally, an overall shot as I dismantle the old bridge before salvaging the bits for the new one:

post-17302-0-71155700-1380744772_thumb.jpg

That's as far as I've got, and I've had enough, tonight.

Thanks for looking,

Al

• Like 1

Great bit of modelling Al, the MkII bridge is going to look superb.... it was a tough decision to restart another bridge, but you must be looking at it now and thinking you were glad you did it and how much better this is going to look on the layout

well done....

joe

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Joe, Andy.

Yes, I was annoyed at the time, but it was worth it. I'm really pleased with how Mark 2 has turned out so far. Tomorrow I'll start to join the landings and legs, and the staircases, and hopefully it'll be back to the stage we were at before the problem arose. I'm thinking of re-making the landings, rather than re-using the old ones, as I wasn't 100% happy with them, they looked a bit clumsy. I'll also be redoing the legs in new slimmer style :)

Andy, after the bridge it'll be time to tackle the main station building. That's going to be a stonker, you see!

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Al,

It is looking good and I am impressed, but where do you get the time?  How long did that take you, or have you got a team of elves cutting up the bits for you?

If you are redoing the landings and the poles are you just doing the whole thing again or will you be able to save some of it?

• RMweb Gold

Al,

It is looking good and I am impressed, but where do you get the time?  How long did that take you, or have you got a team of elves cutting up the bits for you?

If you are redoing the landings and the poles are you just doing the whole thing again or will you be able to save some of it?

Thanks Chris.

No elves, on this occasion. It took me from about half-six to nine o'clock to do what I've done tonight.

I'm sorry, as I haven't actually taken or posted any photos of "how" I did it, in this instance.

Contrary to my normal practice, I didn't pre-cut the bits. Instead, I took one 300mm length of the lattice material, and stuck it in place, and trimmed it off roughly to size, then stuck the rest of it in the next place, and so on, until I'd used up a strip, and then get a new strip and continue. For a complete set of lattice one way on one side, I used about 5 strips.

I found this quite a quick way of working, and it was much easier to position and handle a longer piece (as it's so thin) than if I'd cut them all to size beforehand. Even then, as I got to the end of a strip, I was having to tease the bits into place with the end of the scalpel blade.

Yes, effectively I'm rebuilding the whole thing. Having completed the new sides, and being pleased with how they've turned out, I was conscious that they made what I did before look quite clumsy and not up to standard, so hopefully the new landings, legs etc should be in keeping with the standard of the sides.

Thanks,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr