Dapol/Kernow Beattie Well Tank

suerose

Hi

Can anybody tell me where the pick ups are on this loco other than me taking it apart. Also does anybody else find it rather light at the front resulting in a bit of a see-saw action over front driving wheels. Just had a sound decoder fitted which sounds good, but is not running as good as it should.

Any advice most welcome.

Regards, Sue Rose

• RMweb Gold

Sue

There are no wiper pick ups as all axles are split and pick up is via the axle bearing surfaces.

I have not seen the see saw issue you state on either of mine.

I have two BWT's. One runs like a swiss watch and the other hiccups on any frog that it attempts to pass over (not just a plague of frogs for Passover.). I assume that something has gone amiss in the internal bearing contacts as the wheels have been cleaned and all other precautions taken.

Any clues would be welcome. I have not tried to open the mechanism as it appears ot be semi sealed.

This is my Southern 3329 and I understand there are no more.

Is there a keeper plate to give access to the axles and the chassis recesses they run in? It cannot be much different in principle from the not much larger Mainline/Bachmann J72. A small amount of fluff or other solid dirt, in the axle recess or wound around a stub axle, will disturb the normally reliable running. The recommended procedure for these was occasional wiping out of the chassis recesses and the stub axle surfaces with IPA, then sparing relubrication with a plastics compatible grease.

No obvious keeper plate on the BWT. If there were I would have opened and cleaned. And there are no diss-assembly instructions or diagrams. It would be a help if Kernow has these to post them as the BWT's are now over a year old and will start to require field maintenance.

The BWT is not built like a Bachmann or Hornby locomotive. My understanding is that it possibly came from the Japanese Tomix firm built in one of their factories and reflects their different design philosophy.

I do come with a bit of an attitude of 'if it was assembled, then it will come apart' while conceding that welded constructions especially do present a challenge. If it wasn't for the fact that my budget is 'ahem' overcommitted to the wealth of LNER/ER delights currently approaching from all sides, I would be tempted to buy a BWT just for the joy of having it in pieces...

Hi Autocoach,

Sorry, but your understanding is incorrect.

This model came from Dapols #1 factory. The same factory that produces our N gauge range, sentinel and class 22, and the soon to be released Western (in whatever gauge we decide to release it in first ;-)).

Cheers

Dave

Hi Autocoach,

Sorry, but your understanding is incorrect.

This model came from Dapols #1 factory. The same factory that produces our N gauge range, sentinel and class 22, and the soon to be released Western (in whatever gauge we decide to release it in first ;-)).

Cheers

Dave

That is excellent news that it comes from your factory. Then would you be able to supply a diagram or the internal cad design that will allow us to diss-assemble for needed maintenance.

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments, I have not come across split axle pick ups before, so all new to me. I will wait until Dapol issue the instructions how to get to the wheels so I can clean them, it may well be when a sound decoder was put in, some dirt/dust etc got in as well as it was running ok before. At the moment it seems to be getting worse the more I run it rather than getting better.

Thanks for all your help and comments.

Regards, Sue

There are some photos on this topic that should help with understanding how the pickups work.

Nick

Hi Nick,

The photos in the link ar very useful I haven't tried to fid the screws for th keeper plate, they must be there though. A job for the weekend I think.

Thanks, Sue

Hi

I emailed Kernow for details how to remove keeper plate, but gthey refered me to Dapol's approval servicer DCC Supplies, so I emailed them. There reply was ' ... Pick-up is by means of brass journal bearings set into the chassis on this model, normally these are sufficiently self lubricating, and so do not require any oil. It is possible that oil may have crept between the axle and bearing surface, casing poor pickup.

You may find that running improves with perseverance, as the oil will gradually disperse, alternatively it may need removing manually.

With the well tank it is somewhat difficult to remove the baseplate due to the brake rodding being glued in place. A discrete cut is required between the rodding and the actuating arm (- this needs to be performed carefully).

Alternatively, the wheels can careful be removed, without need to remove the keeper plate (though this is more tricky, due to the body). The wheels are a push fit onto the axle.

Once you have access to the bearings, they can be washed with isopropynol, or similar.

If you prefer, we offer a service/repair for £24.00 plus parts.

In my case I went for getting them to service it as I could do even more damage than I already have. Hope this helps anybody else.

Regards, Sue

Not a problem, although it will be next week as I'll clear it with Kernow first and I'm away on business until Monday, so bear with me until then please.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Did you ever get a response from Kernow.

thanks

ken

Archived