Multi aspect station starter signals

On reasonably modern stuff, once the start of a route is released either by manual cancellation or by train operated route release, another route can be set with the train still part way along the first route. The same route can be set again at any time and the signal will clear once the first train has moved past the overlap of the next signal (subject to any other aspect and approach controls). It is also possible to set a diverging route from the entrance signal as soon as the first train has moved off the track circuit containing the diverging points.

• RMweb Gold

On reasonably modern stuff, once the start of a route is released either by manual cancellation or by train operated route release, another route can be set with the train still part way along the first route. The same route can be set again at any time and the signal will clear once the first train has moved past the overlap of the next signal (subject to any other aspect and approach controls). It is also possible to set a diverging route from the entrance signal as soon as the first train has moved off the track circuit containing the diverging points.

That's always been the case Edwin (certainly on the panels I've worked), it's setting a conflicting route whilst the first route is set which is "different"

Well I would certainly like to try to work on a simple panel design where I can select a route from fiddle to station and then another station to fiddle, effectively splitting the layout in half. Through trains will have both halves set before the move begins but most other 'interesting moves' will involve a stop over on the stage side for one reason or another. Other moves such as loco changes and shunting to the parcels depot etc will be under the control of position light signals which will also need to be part of the scheme. As my crew is not 100% signal savvy I want to automate as must as possible. I've been also known to spad a few times when distracted with only 3 No 2 aspect signals to mess with on Outon Road so I'm not exactly a signal saint!! I'd prefer the moves on Neale Bank to run far more, dare I say, regimented? At least work to rules where routes and signalling has to be cleared properly. As a crew we like to drive trains and making the signalling as automated as possible with the routes set and other signal aspects around the layout dictating what the signals show would be great. I think a simple press to clear button would be the perfect answer where when a train is ready to go and the route set, we simply hit the button and the signals all clear correctly, I think that the shunting moves might need some kind of extra input to not confuse the panel as to what move is intended. I'm looking to do this all with microcontrollers so if anyone has any experience in such matters that would be great. Also is there any way of interfacing such a panel with the signals and point motors (tortoise type) via the dcc bus?Just a from the hip question to help reduce wiring really, I don't want to control them via the train control handset though.

Cav

It sounds to me that you should to have a read through Beasts thread about signalling using RR&Co - that will do everything you want, with the motors being controlled by the DCC bus via accessory decoders. I'm not sure how you'd do that with do that with microcontrollers.

Have you any link to that? Tbh though I dont want to control the trains by computer and I would really like the tactile interface of a proper control panel rather than a computer screen.

Cav

Have a read of these:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13101

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12000

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28884-using-railroad-and-co-for-british-signalling-pas-deux/page__p__305667#entry305667

I know what you mean about the tactile interface of a panel, but I don't see how you're going to use microcontrollers whilst controlling/powering the point motors using the DCC bus, unless MERG do some kind of interface?

The dcc bus would be the ideal really as otherwise the panel will be connected to the layout with a crazy number of wires as I would probably have all the control circuitry in the panel with the wiring going out to the points, signals and such. I quite like the look of the rr&co though I have yo say but without train control as I want that to be the main part of running the layout. Im more of a train driver than signalman really. I may download the program to have a play with. The interface that merg have in development seems interesting and would be worth following I think.

Cav

Archived