Haywood Railway 7mm wagon kits

The Nth Degree

While at Reading at the weekend I bought a couple of their LNER 12t van kits but they seem to have a very unusual way of connecting the body together. I was wondering if anyone had constructed any of these and if they could offer any tips or advice?

Searching this site doesn't throw up any obvious build threads, but I did find this site

http://kenton-model-railway.co.uk/w1_mex/w1_mex.php

I'm wondering if the Kenton in this website name is our very own Kenton?

Any help, photos, advice, etc would be gratefully received.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I do not know if that is Kenton of this parish and I have never built one of the Haywood kits either, but after having a brief look at the site one bit of advice I would say concerns the the floor supports. To stop the joints from distorting I would using a scrawker blade ( think that's how you spell it !! ) or similar to take some more brass out of the fold line, so that when you do fold the joint you will get a crisp line.

Martyn.

P.S. Here's how to make a scrawker if you have not got one http://www.clag.org.uk/scrawker.html

I've got a couple of Haywood vans in the to do pile, but they're a way off yet. WEP kits are similar in that you build both ends of the van and connect them in the middle - see here. Strange when you first encounter it, but in practice it works out fine. I use wooden pegs to clamp the two halves together, ensuring everything lines up, then tack solder them from the inside. Once you're happy with the fit run a fillet of solder down the join and bingo.

I agree with Martyn, a scrawker is invaluable to get a crisp fold. Make a few passes until you see a witness line appear on the other side of the fold. I use a cheapo Olfa plastic cutter, and the blades remain sharp for ages, even when used on brass.

• 3 years later...

Excellent kits, I love the way they go together with a centre joint. They appear to do coach kits, does anybody have any idea how to find out if they are still in production and what is available?

Phillip

You can try emailing Geoff Gill (the proprietor) on gp(dot)gill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk

I have a catalogue on CD but it's 6 years old and 99Mb!

Dave

I built the LMS 3-plank wagon which went together well.  The only additions I made was to use planked Plastikard for the interior and fitted vacuum brake gear which was not supplied in the kit.  The only difficulty I had was when I chose to ignore the instructions and assemble some parts in a different order!

Ray.

As above opens need inserts adding. Vans are very easy to build. For me the let down is the brakes. If morton there are no cams and the brakes often need putting in the wrong way around to design, to make it look like they would work. To me they are good value. I have built a few for a customer a few years back.

I have managed to extract the relevant pages from the full catalogue and compact it to just under 1Mb! 

Please note that it is a 2010 catalogue. Prices will probably have changed. The full range as listed may no longer be available. I gave Geoff's email address in an earlier post - you might want to check with him, particularly if a Telford purchase is on the cards!

Cheers

Dave  

Haywood Coach catalogue 2010.pdf

Thanks Dave.

I don't know why so little comes up when you google it ? Love this forum (rmweb), your link to Heywood should have many hits and help their sales hopefully.

I haven't done any modelling for 20 yrs. but I remember the wagons go together quickly and were so enjoyable to build and gave such great pleasure, which is the most important thing to me. I use a piece of tissue to represent the canvas roof, and it makes quite a presentable model. I would post a picture but I am on holiday in the Canary Islands looking out to sea so it will have to wait until I get home! As "sometime in the future" has come around, and the children have grown up, I have taken it up again and thoroughly enjoying it.

I am looking forward to Wenlock's platform surface part two - can't come quick enough!

Phillip

Archived