An interview with Simon Kohler

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

........For relatively popular tooling, it would be interesting to see if on average there is a relatively consistent pattern something like:year 1 - new toolingyear 2 - new running number(s)year 3 - tooling retiredyear 4 - new running number(s)year 5 - tooling retiredTornado and Flying Scotsman will likley be perennial items, but periodically with new livery/details.

I hope you are right! Maybe that mens we can have a Castle in 2014 with a Collett tender!

Tintagel Castle was released as a new model in 2011(?) I have two, but would welcome a 3rd.... Or 4th!

Are there no 'Beverston Castle' models left in the shops?  I just bought a s/h mint one for £72 and am pleased.

I confess I do enjoy 'window shopping' around various sites, excluding eBay (which has its place, like establishing 'value', but isn't always much fun, personally speaking)  and some good prices turn up from time to time with web-based sellers with good and secure payment and delivery systems.

Quite a few bricks-and-mortar retailers sell at or slightly above nominal cost ....  as well as web-and-shop emporia.  You can still buy a a weathered ROD for £72  or £62 if you are outside the UK., and 'Evening Star' recently at £70...   but then, I like to collect some models as well as sometimes sell. It's actually in my experience very hard in NZ to sell Castles...  I had a Beverston Castle for sale at a bit over half retail for many weeks, and it eventually sold for you guessed it £72-ish!   There is a clear lack of skill in my trading, I admit!

I saw a Hornby Black 5 44871 'End of Steam 1968' special the other day from a retailer who appeared not to know that it is a rare model now, but he wanted £140 , just standard retail there.

I have strayed off topic so must stop!

Rob

Archived