An interview with Simon Kohler

Andy Y

I recently took the opportunity to interview Simon Kohler, Hornby's Marketing Manager, who is known to many in person through his appearance at shows up and down the country about Hornby's recent issues and what the future may hold.

The interview kicks off with the question "It seems to have been a torrid time for Hornby over the last three years or so. A recent profit warning and subsequent half-yearly results commented on the impact of the London 2012 merchandise, was this an opportunity that was misjudged?"

Read it here - https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Features/Exclusive_Hornby_Interview/

The full line-up of Hornby's announcement will appear on Model Railways Live on 17th December; if you wish to sign up for the MRL newsletter you'll receive an email newsletter at midday as a belt and braces means to ensure you'll get the news as it breaks. On RMweb the information will be summarised a little differently with some analysis of the developments.

Very positive Simon is nice guy who does his very best to promote Hornby and every way he can. I am sure there are times when he must felt very disheartend over the pat year or so, hopefully Hornby have learnt a few lessons and will now rebound with some great new products and be stronger brand than ever.

Bring it on Simon :victory:

XF

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have suffered from supply chain problems and they have obviously learnt a lot from this - I can only wish them good luck in the future as they have been with us an awfully long time and I don't want them to go the way of other iconic British brands

Nice report Andy. Thanks for posting it.

I liked Simons retort "Good try, youll have to wait until 17th December". He did say that not everybody will be satisfied with the 2013 news and thats a given every year with release programs but he added that he believes the announcement will generate some column inches here.

Glad you raised the point about more manufacturers engaging with modellers now as part of new developments and its good to hear that Hornby want to step their involvement up in this regard.

Not long to wait now anyway.......

Although probably not the scope of the interview I would have liked to know how Hornby feel about their D&E range as it seems to have played second fiddle to their steam range for quite some time now although I must emphasise this is my perception. Must say though it would have been easy for Simon to hide behind the olympic merchandise problems and blame everything on it so every credit for being honest and upfront.

mark

A very interesting interview with some good questions and good answers. I've not met Simon, but have corresponded with him in a couple of emails which he has responded to very quickly.

I don't think we can moan having someone at Hornby like Mr Kohler.

Let us not forget that it was Simon Kohler's inspired step-change in quality of model, first exemplified by the introduction of the Merchant Navy model Clan Line all those years ago and swiftly pursued by Bachmann, which drove the change in the market. We only enjoy the current level of choice and quality of RTR product, I suspect, because of his vision.

• RMweb Gold

Let us not forget that it was Simon Kohler's inspired step-change in quality of model, first exemplified by the introduction of the Merchant Navy model Clan Line all those years ago and swiftly pursued by Bachmann, which drove the change in the market. We only enjoy the current level of choice and quality of RTR product, I suspect, because of his vision.

I rate the Merchant Navy very highly, and it undoubtedly was a step change for Hornby, but let's remember that the Bachmann N class and WD had preceeded it, both models which I think hold their own very well now.

Anyway, good positive noises from Mr K, so looking forward to the new announcements.

An interesting interview and it's certainly reinforced the view that SK is on our side whilst being well aware that Hornby has shareholders how want to see a return on their investment. Does anybody know if shareholders get a discount?

An interesting Interview Andy and it is good to hear Simon has a positive outlook on Hornbys plans going forward. I certainly hope they get there problems in supply resolved and reduce some of the QC issues that have crept in. There are some cracking products from Hornby and I look forward to there plans when they are announced.

Thanks

Mark

It's good for Hornby to get the message out that, despite their supply chain issues and missed financial goals they're not just open for business but really doing their best.

I'm a big fan of Hornby's and it wasn't the right venue to hit them with the 4VEP, but the 'design clever' concept is a double edged sword. If it means no sprung buffers on the big GWR tanks, OK. If it led to some of the compromises made on the 4VEP (like the choice of motor) or a move back to moulded handrails on boilers then I'm not so keen. Having said that, Hornby's approach to balance cost and detail is sensible and understandable. As we see here every day, the UK outline railway modelling market IS price sensitive.

There were very few specifics in Mr. Kohler's answers to some of the questions I was the most interested in. (I'm not talking about new announcements - we'll learn that in just over a week anyway.) I felt that Andy's questions on supply chain and technology largely went unanswered.

An unasked question that I feel is in bounds is "what criteria do Hornby use to position a product in the Railroad Range versus their normal range?". I'd be interested in understanding some of their pricing decisions too, but I can't think of a way that question could be asked that would encourage a direct answer.

Archived