Evening Ray

Unfortunately it will be a while before I get to the stage of actually building signals. However, having had a look around, the MSE signals will probably be the ones I go for. As for ground signals, if they are a bit fiddly I'll give them a go.

Duncan

I can sympathise.

Signals are my bets noir, they are horrible fiddly things, I have the first one I opened and in hours it sat balefully on my table pushed to one side because the instructions are double such, I have no idea how to put the booger together. They obviously think people are 1. competent (I hope I am that) 2. understand what they are building (big NO) and can put them together because you wouldn't buy one unless you had the skill would you......DOH......I thought the instructions would fill the gap.......well it is sitting there sulking...and when I see it I feel like joining in. Small fiddly bits with rubbish instructions and a none mechanical mind = abandoned kit.

Andy

In some ways I agree with you. But, I'm going to take the difficult route (possibly) and use the semaphore ones to help set the period and location.

This is one decision I may regret.

As for ground signals, I'm going to follow the example of Sasquatch (as shown in his blog). But, I might try using an LED and strand of fibre optic.

Duncan

Jaz

So far I haven't tried making any signals. So, with a set of bits, instructions and a bit of common sense (if I can find it) I hope to achieve a working result (we'll see)

Anyway, however they turn out, I will post the pictures of work in progress and the finished article.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Patients is the key. Allowing things to set, opening out holes a little at a time. Being prepared to make more than one operating wire. Don't expect it to go together straight from the box like a wagon kit.

Do some research first and ask on RMweb for advise.

Tweaking will be necessary. I found I had to make some modifications and make some replacement parts from scratch.

It is a whole new skill set but no different than taking on wagon building or any branch of our hobby. Your 2nd will be better than the first and the third even better as you acquire the skills and develop the method you are happiest with. 

Regards Shaun.

Patients is the key. Allowing things to set, opening out holes a little at a time. Being prepared to make more than one operating wire. Don't expect it to go together straight from the box like a wagon kit.

Do some research first and ask on RMweb for advise.

Tweaking will be necessary. I found I had to make some modifications and make some replacement parts from scratch.

It is a whole new skill set but no different than taking on wagon building or any branch of our hobby. Your 2nd will be better than the first and the third even better as you acquire the skills and develop the method you are happiest with. 

Regards Shaun.

I didn't realize wagon kits were supposed to go together, mine normally end as bits in scrap heaps. :no:

And :O

• RMweb Premium

I had to change my rating on that last post Andy, from funny to supportive. I'm a bit of a wagon building addict!

Needed a period of rehab. It worked out well until I discovered foam board and embossed plastic sheet. I can predict another stretch in rehab.

Now I have a brad nailer and a cheep source of plywood. Oh dear.....   :training:  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, nothing is happening at the moment. :O

This is due to two things;

1. Real life keeps getting in the way to such an extent, that I rarely have time to keep up with the Lunesters. :O  :stinker:

2. I seem to have lost the modelling mojo at the moment. :O :scared:

When the mojo returns, modelling will resume

Duncan

Don't worry about the Mojo Duncan, we all get that from time to time, I'm a little flat at the moment as all my scenic materials are in storage.

Just be patient and you will see something on here to get you going again, (have a look at my weathered 33 in Kingsley) :no: .

Bodge :O

Having read through Kingsley, KL and the Lounge, I'm thinking that although the plans that Jason managed to improve on will go ahead, it's possibly the fact that too many of the layouts I follow are either in the planning, re-planning or lack of mojo doldrums at the moment.

Duncan

Don't worry about the Mojo Duncan, we all get that from time to time, I'm a little flat at the moment as all my scenic materials are in storage.

Just be patient and you will see something on here to get you going again, (have a look at my weathered 33 in Kingsley) :no: .

Bodge :O

So they are Andy........ :O  :drag:

I'm a little flat at the moment as all my scenic materials are in storage.

I can sympathise.

Signals are my bets noir, they are horrible fiddly things, I have the first one I opened and in hours it sat balefully on my table pushed to one side because the instructions are double such, I have no idea how to put the booger together. They obviously think people are 1. competent (I hope I am that) 2. understand what they are building (big NO) and can put them together because you wouldn't buy one unless you had the skill would you......DOH......I thought the instructions would fill the gap.......well it is sitting there sulking...and when I see it I feel like joining in. Small fiddly bits with rubbish instructions and a none mechanical mind = abandoned kit.

Marcus37 is very kindly offering up some details on this from a train drivers perspective on our thread. Which will help with this dark hole....

signal;s and AWS http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-terror-from-the-year-5000/page-201&do=findComment&comment=1428602

The problem is with mojo, that once you are working on a single aspect for a while it becomes a chore, a second job........better to have a few projects (not layouts) some scenic, a building, a a loco, a test wagon, some figures, all on the go, and as you become jaded with one change track for a while.....a change is honlestly as good as a ret. Other hobbies are even allowed a look in. I go off do a drawing a a painting, read a book. 

The thing is to enjoy what you are doing, and when you not.We are watching Mammon at the moment, usually i watch tv whilst i work, but this has sub titles so i have to seat and give it all my attention, so less work, as we tend to record a bunch and watch them together.

Go have a joke on friends threads. And I don't know if you have noticed but modellers are more productive during bad weather autumn/ winter/ early spring ...oncee the good weather arrives gardening lawn mowing family events take over, life is in cycles. Just enjoy.  :sungum:

Jaz & David

Thanks for the replies.

Now playing catchup again after another busy weekend with my other interest, preserved fire engines. Lots of work getting ready for the first show of the season next weekend.

Duncan

• 1 month later...

Evening Ray

Unfortunately it will be a while before I get to the stage of actually building signals. However, having had a look around, the MSE signals will probably be the ones I go for. As for ground signals, if they are a bit fiddly I'll give them a go.

Duncan

I tried the small plastic ones and they crumbled in my hands....and I though I had a fairly light touch. Have you addressed the ground signals successfully at all? I would be very interested as I really need t sort my self out with these.

Archived