Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

That's very impressive Duncan

I am hoping to have a first go at some weathering later this week (as a relief from track laying)

I shall be looking in here, Andy P's various threads, Jason's threads & Nick (rs4) for inspiration & guidance

I don't think Nick is a Lunester so you may not have seen is weathering of wagons, well worth a look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67720-examples-of-my-weathering/

Thanks Billy

The main problem I had was finding any photos of the inside of a water tower tank that was out of use.

A couple more buildings to make and weather before I start on a couple of trial wagons. Certainly not brave enough yet to tackle a loco.

Duncan

Thanks Billy

The main problem I had was finding any photos of the inside of a water tower tank that was out of use.

A couple more buildings to make and weather before I start on a couple of trial wagons. Certainly not brave enough yet to tackle a loco.

Duncan

Duncan

I am hoping to have a go at some wagons in the next few days, five mineral wagons arrived yesterday from Parkside, so need to build one or two then jump in with my paintbrush & weathering powders  :no:

Billy

Thanks for the link. If any of mine turn out anything close to that I'll be happy.

Hopefully you'll post details of your wagon build so we can see the progress.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Great water tower, Duncan.

Maybe you could have a rotting carcass in there - a rat or a largish bird, maybe.  I was going to suggest a cat but then I remembered all you cat lovers out there.... Nah  :nono:   Maybe some nesting birds instead...  :yes:

Keep the modelling going..  I'm sorely in need of some inspiration myself to get me motivated - too many other railway distractions, sometimes.  I'll get there - eventually.

A general tip.  As people usually suggest we tone down our whites so they don't glare, so the same could be said for the use of black - leave the darkest dark for the deepest shadows.  Give yourself room for manoeuvre at both ends of the contrast range.

Your door and lintel may work better weathered down a bit more leaving the grooves/shadows darker not forgetting to add some lighter highlights. Hope you don't mind the suggestion. I did a couple of art courses some years back and one thing I remember being told was to "look in the shadows." Those "shadows" were on a huge black curtain over the college windows which wasn't, in fact, "black" - only bits of it were anywhere near black.  Thus I discovered that shadows had more shadows within shadows... It certainly opened my eyes.  And model railway modellers talk about rivet counters.... you should try the art world.  Just don't get me going on shape, form and structure.  :mosking:

Polly

Polly

Thanls for the constructive critisism, it's really apreciated. I've got a little bit more to do on it and the suggestions are great.

I have to admit that I do like the idea of nesting birds in there, something I might have to look into at a later date.

Duncan

Following the suggestions from Polly, I've done a bit more work on the water tower. However, I'm not convinced that I've cracked it yet.

post-6953-0-48244000-1364926258_thumb.jpg

Comments, criticism and thoughts will certainly be considered.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

The lintel looks a lot more convincing now.

If the door is made of wooden planks, a few thin parallel lines (not too dark, possibly using colouring pencils) would make a lot of difference.

For something to copy, put the following words in Google Images: "old painted door" and you'll be amazed at the affects you might want to achieve.

You're doing great.

Polly

Thanks guys.

Polly. I have to agree with you about the door. I had originally scribed it but probably not deep enough so I've googled the old painted door and seen what you mean.

I'm going to have a go at it tonight and hopefully get some pictures up .

Duncan

Thanks Billy

Duncan

Heh, if I'd have known that I would have told you to hold on - apparently there's an unused water tank in the loft of my new house, you could have come around and removed it for me... :P

Matt

Great water tower, Duncan.

Maybe you could have a rotting carcass in there - a rat or a largish bird, maybe.  I was going to suggest a cat but then I remembered all you cat lovers out there.... Nah  :nono:   Maybe some nesting birds instead...  :yes:

Keep the modelling going..  I'm sorely in need of some inspiration myself to get me motivated - too many other railway distractions, sometimes.  I'll get there - eventually.

A general tip.  As people usually suggest we tone down our whites so they don't glare, so the same could be said for the use of black - leave the darkest dark for the deepest shadows.  Give yourself room for manoeuvre at both ends of the contrast range.

Your door and lintel may work better weathered down a bit more leaving the grooves/shadows darker not forgetting to add some lighter highlights. Hope you don't mind the suggestion. I did a couple of art courses some years back and one thing I remember being told was to "look in the shadows." Those "shadows" were on a huge black curtain over the college windows which wasn't, in fact, "black" - only bits of it were anywhere near black.  Thus I discovered that shadows had more shadows within shadows... It certainly opened my eyes.  And model railway modellers talk about rivet counters.... you should try the art world.  Just don't get me going on shape, form and structure.  :mosking:

Polly

Well said Pollyurathane Wotsit,

Colouring is very subject, and every ones eyes are different,

Bodgit

Thanks Andy.

One of the things I'm learning is although we can learn a lot from the military modellers, we can learn even more from the art world. It doesn't help that I really haven't had much interest in art techniques before now. This may stem from the fact that I've never been good at art.

Duncan

I think I've gone as far as I can with the water tower.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to get the soldering iron out and chip one of my locos. If I feel brave enough after thar, it will be a case of attacking the body and fitting lights. We'll just have to see.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy.

One of the things I'm learning is although we can learn a lot from the military modellers, we can learn even more from the art world. It doesn't help that I really haven't had much interest in art techniques before now. This may stem from the fact that I've never been good at art.

Duncan

Hi Duncan

Great door and lintel. What a difference.   :sungum:

Now you've learnt Rule/Secret no. 1:  Draw/paint what you SEE not what you know.

You'll get better from now on in.  :yes:

I only hope my own  layout comes up to what I 'preach'.    :D

I've just started a mock up of the shed - at last.  :swoon:  :O

I'll pass you over to someone else for locos, though - not my thing (yet)  :laugh:

Best wishes

Polly

Thanks Polly. It's one area I didn't expect to enjoy. It's been a massive learning curve. The Lunesters have been a great help though. I'm now finding that constructing and weathering buildings to produce a more realistic result is easier now I'm taking time and seeing rather than looking at photos.

As for the locos, the electrics don't worry me. What does is the possibility of ruining one of my loco bodies

Duncan

Today is going to have to be recorded as an unmittigating failure as far as Oxted Park is concerned. :O  :O

The loco that runs perfectly on DC has refused point blank to work on DCC. :no:  :O  :scared:

It's been stripped and cleaned, serviced, run on DC again, had a decoder from a known working loco put in and it still refuses to play. :O

Time to walk away and look at it again tomorrow.

Duncan

• 3 weeks later...

After a realy bust week, I decided to do some more work to the Bedford TK.

All I wanted to do was make the replacement rear wheel guard. This should have been a nice simple job, or so I thought.

After five attempts where none of them looked even close to what I was trying to achieve, I gave up.

If I'm not working tomorrow, I'll have another go.

Duncan

After several more attempts to get the rear mud guard area right and a lot of head scratching, I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT.

The problem has been the mountings for the mud guards. Nothing plastic that I have looks right. I've now realised that I need to use very fine rods of metal that will mount to the chassis and support the mud guards. I just need to find something suitable around the house.

No further progress is going to take place today and I'll be off-line till later this evening.

Duncan

Archived