GWR MODIFIED HALL

N15class

Hi Peter,

Now, that depends upon when you are planning to date your model. The mixed traffic black was introduced in 1948 but started to come into force from 1949. By the mid 1950s though, lined green was back in vogue for the mixed traffic types.

Tender insignia went from the Gill Sans 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' in white. The first loco to have the lion & wheel insignia was Castle No. 7018 in May 1949 and the older type of company identification was phased out although a shortage of transfers meant the either lions faced the wrong way on occasion (not in the direction of forward travel) or were left off with plain tank sides. The lion & wheel was replaced with the totem in 1957.

Remember that all of this data is not hard and fast dates, GWR liveries lived on past 1948 and changes in livery policy did not mean that engines all changed colour or insignia overnight - there were hundreds of locos out there and all of them had differing priorities. Top link passenger machines - the Kings and Castles - took some sort of priority but when there were about 190 engines of just these 2 classes, it still took a long time to affect a change to all of them! There were 330 Halls of both types... Hall No. 6990 for example was never lined black for example, it retained a lined green livery throughout so a picture of No. 7900 at or near your chosen time would be great! When do you want to set it and has anyone out there got a picture that they can look at for Peter? As she was built by BR in 1949 a model of Saint Peter's Hall as new would need to be in lined black.

Edit: if you definitely want to tie down a time when she is most likely to have a Hawksworth tender then as new would be a good bet!

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks Castle

It is looking like I need to look at lined black with either lion on the wheel or British Railway. I had naturally assumed they where green. But I was thinking of it being in the fifties with the first lion logo.

Hi Peter,

The natural assumption is for GWR engines to be brunswick / chrome / dark green isn't it?! Unless they are black. Or lined black. Or lined blue. Or lined apple green (yuck!). Or indeed lined maroon if its a certain Hall that wants to be a Castle...

I have models of both the Didcot Halls. No. 6998 Burton Agnes's Hall in BR lined black with lion and wheel and a Hawksworth tender and No. 5900 Hinderton Hall in BR lined green with the lion and wheel on a Collett tender. I like to see my collection as telling the story of the GWR post nationalisation from 1948 up to 1956 (ish) so to do both liveries told the story of the livery changes within the class. For panniers, I have a plain black No. 3738 with lion and wheel and a plain green No. 3650 with BRITISH RAILWAYS in the GWR Egyptian serif font. The wagons in my fitted van train are in all sorts of liveries from hang over late GWR & LMS ones right up to BR bauxite. I like my modelling to be both enjoyable and educational to both myself and others.

You could justify No. 7900 in either the green or black with the Hawksworth tender and the lion and wheel if you wanted. As has been mentioned before in your thread, tenders were swapped around fairly frequently. A photo to show people would seal the deal but at the end of the day it's your engine and you paint it whatever colour you like!

All the best,

Castle

• 3 weeks later...

Archived