GWR MODIFIED HALL

N15class

I thought I would start this topic for the prototype questions I will have probably have a whole load of questions.

I thought I would open a new thread rather than use the one I started about the kit, which you may of seen. There is also a blog on the 7mm scale rebuild.

My first question is about the coupling rods. Are they fluted or plain on the 6959 series?

Thanks for the replys. The photos that I could see them were of the plain type but it is always best to check.

Next question, relates to the Hawksworth 4000 gallon tender, I could do with a drawing for this that is available on line as I have none of my GW books here. Also any photos of the top of it?

Thanks again

Hi guys

Yet another question for you. I know or I am sure I know there are 2 wash out plugs no top of the boiler lose to the firebox. But was there also 2 on top of the boiler close to the smoke box? If not the model has 2 holes there what would they likely be, they are to high for the oil pipe covers? If they are not ment to be there it is easier to fix before the smoke box is attached.

Yes, most GWR boilers have a pair of plugs close to the front of the boiler. They are high up, roughly in line with the flange of the chimney and about six inches back from the joint with the smokebox. I don't have a drawing to hand so can't give you more precise measurements.

Nick

Yes, most GWR boilers have a pair of plugs close to the front of the boiler. They are high up, roughly in line with the flange of the chimney and about six inches back from the joint with the smokebox. I don't have a drawing to hand so can't give you more precise measurements.

Nick

Thanks.

That seems about right for my boiler. I will fill them with washout plugs not brass wire and sandpaper.

As far as I'm aware there were no differences between the Modified Halls. The numbering simply carried on at 7900 where it had left off at 6999. They weren't of a different series. This was the same with the original series Hall which started at 4901 and ended at 5920.

Justin.

Thanks I could see no difference between them but thought I ought to ask.

Next question, did St Peter's hall run with the Hawksworth tender and if so when.

Is there a web list to which loco ran with which tender?

THANKS

7900 would of course have run with a Hawksworth tender from new. She ended her days with a Collett example. The only picture I could find of 7900 with a Hawksworth tender is in 'Working Stem - Collett and Hawksworth Halls' which is dated April 1958, but then I couldn't find that many photos. When she gained it and when it was changed I don't know. The tenders got swapped around a fair bit so I'd be very suprised if those were the only two times she ran with them.

I don't think there is any online list of loco and tender pairings. The information would be on the relevant engine record card. Perhaps someone has that information.It's a shame Irwell press haven't done a 'Book of the Halls' maybe one day they'll get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the help so far.

I am still trying to find out when 7900 lost its Hawkworth tender, so any help there will be appreciated.

Also injectors I presume there was one behind each of the cab steps. I cannot make it out from my photos.  I also assume that it would of had backhead fitted clack valves.

Thanks again.

Thanks all for the help so far.

I am still trying to find out when 7900 lost its Hawkworth tender, so any help there will be appreciated.

Also injectors I presume there was one behind each of the cab steps. I cannot make it out from my photos.  I also assume that it would of had backhead fitted clack valves.

Thanks again.

Hi N15 Class,

You are right that the Halls had their injectors mounted behind the cab steps. The fireman's side has the larger exhaust injector and the driver's side has the live steam one. Be careful when looking at preserved engines for reference in this area as many have two live steam injectors due to the high cost of replicating the exhaust one.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Hi

I am rebuilding a GWR Modified Hall. I am after some information on the live and exhaust injectors behind the cab steps.

Plus the set up for the water pickup and operating linkage for the 4000 gallon Hawksworth tender.

Thanks in advance

• 3 months later...

Hi Peter,

The answer is simply that it is most likely brass with red background if you are doing the LNWR inspired BR mixed traffic black. (Unless there is specific evidence for No. 7900 out there that someone has that says otherwise). Once they went green it was black backgrounds. The smokebox number and shed code plates were always black background, white lettering.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Archived