industrial railways online

A1X

hi all as it says in my signature http://industrialrai...m.com/index.php is not going to ever be as good as RMweb but its just a small place for those small number of us who like industrial railways from around the world . and it just needs a few members to get it going.

thanks for reading .

also i hope Andy doesn't mind me posting this. if not i don't mind this being deleted.

Sorry, but do we really need yet ANOTHER model railway forum?

Especially when we already have RMWeb and a special section here devoted to things Industrial?

There is only so much time to give over to Model Railway forums - and only so much information that can be put up without duplication or watering down.

Oh, I and possibly a few others cannot access a site without a domain name that isn't on a blocked list. Yours is a sub-domain of one such domain so I couldn't sign up even if I wanted to - though that will probably bring you great relief!

Sorry, but do we really need yet ANOTHER model railway forum?

Especially when we already have RMWeb and a special section here devoted to things Industrial?

There is only so much time to give over to Model Railway forums - and only so much information that can be put up without duplication or watering down.

Oh, I and possibly a few others cannot access a site without a domain name that isn't on a blocked list. Yours is a sub-domain of one such domain so I couldn't sign up even if I wanted to - though that will probably bring you great relief!

That was very unkind, all YOU had to do was ignore the sugestion

That was very unkind, all YOU had to do was ignore the sugestion

Unkind maybe, but would it also be unkind to let it continue without receiving input?

We have a proliferation of model railway sites where every man and his dog seem to be setting one up in competition to or mimicking RMWeb. Some with the backing of also ran magazines or simply in opposition to Andy. Some of them seem to acquire membership others do not, but I know I only have time to post on one. That choice is RMWeb, despite all the problems I have with the base software, it continues to be a primary resource and one I wish to contribute to. It covers perfectly well all genre and niches of railway modeling and the prototype, almost totally without favour, indeed almost indifference to which aspects of this wide hobby takes your pleasure.

My post was not aimed as a put down but more of a warning. It is pathetically easy to start up a forum on one of these hosting sites but administrating a forum, especially one with any real membership base, takes a lot of time and invariably comes at a price.

i simply set it up so some people interested in industrial railways could have some where to go and yes i am aware that rmweb has an industrial section. i am not trying to mimicking andy or put up an opposition , their is a german railway forum and also a section on rmweb but you don't go around saying that their site has been set up as source of competition . if Andy had any problems with the topic or one of the mods seen anything against the rules it would have been flagged ,and as i put in my first message "also i hope Andy doesn't mind me posting this. if not i don't mind this being deleted."i understand .

Hi James,

Sorry to hear that you have decided to close your forum down.

Where as RMWeb by its title is generally aimed at modellers your forum may have attracted contibutors who have no interest in railway modelling but do have an interest in historical side of industrial railways, the buildings, imediate surroundings and operation.

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi James,

Sorry to hear that you have decided to close your forum down.

Where as RMWeb by its title is generally aimed at modellers your forum may have attracted contibutors who have no interest in railway modelling but do have an interest in historical side of industrial railways, the buildings, imediate surroundings and operation.

Gordon A

Bristol

no no its still up and that was my idea at first ,its aimed at all people interested in industrial railways not just modelers .

their is a german railway forum and also a section on rmweb but you don't go around saying that their site has been set up as source of </span></span>competition .

Actually I would. I have said the same in the past about several of these other sites. If the German railway forum is in German then I understand the justification is one of principle language of the participants. Not everyone has English as their main language. But if it was simply another forum based in the UK about German Railwasys I just cannot see the point of duplication what is already available.

I accept these comments may come across as cruel. But it was not my intention to have you close the site down. Simply trying to point out that what you are suggesting is not unique and specifically the point about sub domains of other sites being seen as less than professional and even inaccessible. After you have spent many hours keeping the trolls at bay and moderating the forum you may secretly thank me.

no its an English speaking forum for people who are interested in german railways and the have members from all over the globe ,and yes i see where you are coming from about the moderating and such .

Don't overlook there is already an Industrial railway forum - http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/IndustrialRailwaySociety/?prop=eupdate

Their introduction is:

This is the Industrial Railway Society mailing list. It is open to Society members and non members to share information and items of interest about industrial railways and locomotives in the U.K. and worldwide. We welcome non members to join and participate in this list.

Paul Bartlett

is it really such a big deal to have lots of overlapping forums? I think competition is a good thing. I left another forum to come here because I didn't like the way the other one was moderated, and I looked around quite a bit before doing so. I would hate to be stuck with less choice. different forums have different 'feels' to them, which are made up of the members and how they are moderated. if someone feels they don't like the feel of one forum they can try another. RMweb obviously succeeds because of the wealth of talent and knowledge, its broad base, and the fact that it is well moderated. if someone wants to try and compete with that, or a part of it, then good luck to them. maybe it will become even better!

is it really such a big deal to have lots of overlapping forums? I think competition is a good thing. I left another forum to come here because I didn't like the way the other one was moderated, and I looked around quite a bit before doing so. I would hate to be stuck with less choice. different forums have different 'feels' to them, which are made up of the members and how they are moderated. if someone feels they don't like the feel of one forum they can try another. RMweb obviously succeeds because of the wealth of talent and knowledge, its broad base, and the fact that it is well moderated. if someone wants to try and compete with that, or a part of it, then good luck to them. maybe it will become even better!

Above comments are spot on.

I really do not think we need a self appointed regulator of forums OFFOM to decide who opens what and what the contents should be.

Some people just can't help themselves

Archived