RMweb

Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Something green has appeared on my workbench:

Whilst progress on the layout has been painfully slow the past few months I've experimented here and there with different methods of producing grass which feels in scale for the embankment on Ropley. The latest test involves Teddy Bear fabric, green acrylic paint and scissors. This forms the basic grass base layer, to which brambles and other growth will be added. I'm quite pleased with this as it feels less uniform than previous attempts with static grass.

Note, no actual teddy bears were harmed in the production of this piece of green and pleasant land.

Tom.

That looks really good Tom and its great to see some more of your work. I do have a couple of thoughts on this though...

1. How are you planning on hiding the edges. From what I remember the fur comes on quite a thick backing and its something that has always worried me because it doesnt look like you can feather the edges easily.

2. It might be worthwhile giving it a light coat of matt varnish to try and remove the 'glossyness' of the artificial fur. I think it will help lots overall.

Missy :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Julia

The backing on this fur (Raw grass from Treemendus) doesn't seem to be too thick and doesn't show much at the edge. I think it could be easily blended in with suitably coloured static grass if required. (The cable trunking on Ropley will hide the edge at the bottom of the embankment anyway) This may be down to how I coloured it, which was done by watering down the green paint on a plate then letting the fur soak it up through the backing. Once it dries out fully it seems to flatten down the fabric the backing is made from a little.

When I update the blog I'll add a few more photos to illustrate.

Cheers,

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Well here are the test pieces of ex-teddy rested in place on the layout. It maybe needs a little toning down and as Julia mentioned above a spray with some Matt varnish to take the shine off, but otherwise I think it looks ok, and i'm pleased with the variations in tone and colour, something which is difficult to achieve with static grass I feel. 

post-1467-0-15539800-1389359406_thumb.jpg

Must sort out that errant piece of cable trunking though!

Tom. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Well here are the test pieces of ex-teddy rested in place on the layout. It maybe needs a little toning down and as Julia mentioned above a spray with some Matt varnish to take the shine off, but otherwise I think it looks ok, and i'm pleased with the variations in tone and colour, something which is difficult to achieve with static grass I feel. 

attachicon.gifCU0J0364.jpg

Tom. 

That looks superb Tom, a slight toning down and matting of the sheen would enhance it even further

Jerry

attachicon.gifCU0J0364.jpg

Tom. 

Hi Tom,

The embankment looks great but I must say that both your track work, and colouring of the track and sleepers looks absolutely amazing.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

I agree, it is fantastic. I've been looking through your blog to find a description of your method for ballasting, painting & weathering the track but coudn't find it.  Can you point us to the right place?

Now you mention it I'm not sure I've covered the exact method in the blog! It's a fairly basic method though, using Treemendus Normandy earth powder which is first roughly applied before being more accurately positioned with a small brush. It's then fixed using Johnson's Kleer floor polish, which through capillary action is drawn along the length of the area you are working on. I use Kleer as it causes much less disturbance to the dry ballast than spraying it and it dries rock solid. You can also work on small sections at a time and then come back to it without fear of displacing anything you've done previously. Any weathering is done with powders, which for the most part has been some black dusted along the rails.

The more grungy ballast is standard Treemendus Earth powder. This is slightly finer than the Normandy type and a darker colour. As before Kleer is used to fix it, but whilst this is still damp, black & grey weathering powder is mixed and applied on top. The excess is blown off almost straight away but it leaves enough to give a sooty, grungy look.

Hope that all makes sense! All the methods I've used on ropley are really simple ones, but the key is trying to maintain similar tones and not getting colours too uniform.

Cheers,

Tom.

SECR / SR Wainwright 0-6-0 Class C Goods Engine

I bought the kit (etched brass locomotive & tender bodies plus chassis) last April from Andrew Cox but I started to build it just a couple of weeks ago. The kit is a reduced 4 mm etch, as such some gaps are very thin and some are not even fully etched but the part can be removed from the fret quite easily. The chassis is going to be the Fence Houses' one.

This is the stage I reached yesterday:

Tender Body

IMG_20140105_202430_zps412571e2.jpg

Tender Footplate

IMG_20140109_131826_zps4828d6a7.jpg

IMG_20140109_131835_zps9f82565a.jpg

Andrew was very kind and emailed me a few pictures with his tender, built about 20 years ago; with his permission I share a couple of them here:

AndrewsBuiltTender1_zps6fe69280.jpg

AndrewsBuiltTender4_zpsa2bd6bab.jpg

I'm not sure I can get even close to this but...

Edited by Valentin
  • Like 6

Something green has appeared on my workbench:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Whilst progress on the layout has been painfully slow the past few months I've experimented here and there with different methods of producing grass which feels in scale for the embankment on Ropley. The latest test involves Teddy Bear fabric, green acrylic paint and scissors. This forms the basic grass base layer, to which brambles and other growth will be added. I'm quite pleased with this as it feels less uniform than previous attempts with static grass.

Note, no actual teddy bears were harmed in the production of this piece of green and pleasant land.

Tom.

Inspired by your post I have just received in the post an A3 piece of the Treemendus Teddy Bear fabric that you used, to try it out for myself.

The hairs are actually a lot longer than I expected and will definitely need cutting down a lot - I am going to try cordless electric hair trimmers bought cheaply off eBay.

Your embankment looks fantastic. But looking closely at the teddy bear fabric now I have got it, I don't think it would work to stick this fabric down on its backing if you are modelling very short grass, as the weave of the backing will show through as a grid pattern.  This is the same with the roll of surgical absorbent lint that I have also bought to try out.

I intend to try dyeing both the teddy bear fabric and surgical lint with Dylon olive green and seeing what results I get.

Douglas

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by your post I have just received in the post an A3 piece of the Treemendus Teddy Bear fabric that you used, to try it out for myself.

The hairs are actually a lot longer than I expected and will definitely need cutting down a lot - I am going to try cordless electric hair trimmers bought cheaply off eBay.

Your embankment looks fantastic. But looking closely at the teddy bear fabric now I have got it, I don't think it would work to stick this fabric down on its backing if you are modelling very short grass, as the weave of the backing will show through as a grid pattern.  This is the same with the roll of surgical absorbent lint that I have also bought to try out.

I intend to try dyeing both the teddy bear fabric and surgical lint with Dylon olive green and seeing what results I get.

Douglas

Hi Douglas, 

I shaved a fair bit of the piece of fur, and then went at it with scissors after that to try and give an uneven feel to it, so you do loose quite a bit of the fur in the process and I may still have to take a little more off in some places. I think the Treemendus stuff has its origins in 1:35 scale military modelling, so on first glance it does seem on the large side for 2mm. 

You are right that it wouldn't be suitable for very short grass, but I think for overgrown embankment the backing is less of a problem. I certainly can't see any showing through on the pieces I've made up but the key is to make sure you colour the backing as well as the fur, which is why I placed mine in a shallow pool of paint on a plate to let it soak up the paint through the backing fabric. 

Please do post the results of your trials, I'm interested to see how the surgical lint comes out. 

Cheers,

Tom. 

Hi Douglas, 

I shaved a fair bit of the piece of fur, and then went at it with scissors after that to try and give an uneven feel to it, so you do loose quite a bit of the fur in the process and I may still have to take a little more off in some places. I think the Treemendus stuff has its origins in 1:35 scale military modelling, so on first glance it does seem on the large side for 2mm. 

You are right that it wouldn't be suitable for very short grass, but I think for overgrown embankment the backing is less of a problem. I certainly can't see any showing through on the pieces I've made up but the key is to make sure you colour the backing as well as the fur, which is why I placed mine in a shallow pool of paint on a plate to let it soak up the paint through the backing fabric. 

Please do post the results of your trials, I'm interested to see how the surgical lint comes out. 

Cheers,

Tom. 

Hi Tom,

Will do.

I have just been searching "teddy bear fabric grass" in Google and found some interesting war gaming articles and posts on using teddy bear fabric as grass.

One point mentioned there that has already occurred to me is that being an artificial fibre, the teddy bear fabric may not take up the Dylon dye and so it needs to be painted as you did.  It isn't a problem dyeing surgical lint as it is cotton and Barry Norman amongst others has shown how this can be done.

What is really needed is a short pile fur fabric where the weave of the backing does not show through. I wonder if colouring the PVA green will help by filling in the square holes in the weave of the backing when it is stuck down. Your technique of soaking the backing in green paint probably has a similar effect of filling in the holes, especially if the backing fibres also swell up.

Cheers,

Douglas

Hi Douglas, 

Cheers,

Tom. 

To save clogging up this 2mm workbench topic, I will post the results of my experiments with surgical lint and teddy bear fabric on my Dulverton thread, starting with the dyeing process:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46817-dulverton-station-in-n-experimenting-with-dyeing-grass-materials/page-4

Douglas

Edited by Douglas G

post-2065-0-58452600-1389909313.jpg

Mk3 Chassis, Mk2 Body!

The latest rebuild of my 52xx is nearly there. It now just needs a smokebox number and the brakes refitting. The body was rebuilt as it was dropped a while ago meaning the front was all buckled. I have also rebuilt the front pony truck and added a spring behind it as it was jumping off the track all the time.

Missy :)

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Here are some pics of a chassis for the GEM L & Y saddle tank. It went together ok, just a couple of tweaks to the artwork needed. The motor is a Nigel Lawton 12V 10mm diameter midi, and it runs a bit fast, but I hope that a decoder can tame it.

post-12813-0-78886500-1389971161_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-83448100-1389971224_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-34886700-1389971257_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-08910800-1389971198_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-07671800-1389971212_thumb.jpg

It didn't take too long to build the chassis.

Nig H

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Here are some pics of a chassis for the GEM L & Y saddle tank. It went together ok, just a couple of tweaks to the artwork needed. The motor is a Nigel Lawton 12V 10mm diameter midi, and it runs a bit fast, but I hope that a decoder can tame it.

attachicon.gifL & Y saddle tank #1.jpg

attachicon.gifL & Y saddle tank #4.jpg

attachicon.gifL & Y saddle tank #5.jpg

attachicon.gifL & Y saddle tank #2.jpg

attachicon.gifL & Y saddle tank #3.jpg

It didn't take too long to build the chassis.

Nig H

That looks excellent Nigel. What a difference having a descent chassis under it makes - the body castings are rather nice. Out of interest, what is the wheelbase of the L&Y tank?

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

• RMweb Premium

That looks excellent Nigel. What a difference having a descent chassis under it makes - the body castings are rather nice. Out of interest, what is the wheelbase of the L&Y tank?

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

I'm not sure about the prototype, but the model is 15mm plus 15mm, which seemed to fit the GEM body. Do you have in mind another loco for the chassis?

Regards,

Nigel

A bridge I'm working on at the moment. It's come out ok for the first run off the laser machine, but I need to adjust the artwork for 2mm fitting still :)

Cheers

Tim

post-340-0-45708400-1389974209_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-09588900-1389974414_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-34138900-1389974230_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim Horn
  • Like 13

Some progress with my SECR / SR Class C.

I cut a slot into the foot plate for easy removing / replacing the tender body.

IMG_20140117_181235_zps4f4a2ebc.jpg

And a photo with the underside:

IMG_20140117_181331_zps0d122879.jpg

Everything goes quite easy and I managed to get to this stage without much trouble; I am just afraid I'm doing something wrong (this is my very first attempt in building a tender). Can anyone spot any mistakes?...

• Like 7

The sides are insulated from each other and from the footplate, the wheels are moving freely with some inertia, the motor fit is rigid with no vibrations at any speed, so... yes, I'm happy!  :yes:

The next step is to finish the tender's body and I have a question: is it easier to solder all the steps, hand-rails and lamp irons before OR after assembling the body?