Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Thanks Mark, but if the little swine still works after it's planted on the baseboard then there is no way that I'm taking it off again!

The spectacles on this signal are Microscale Kristal Klear. It's the first time I've ever used this stuff (for signals or otherwise) and it seems to work very well.

Previous (pressed steel arm) signals have been done using thin glazing material cut to shape. It's rather a faff to cut them to shape and it makes threading the wire even trickier but it does have the advantage of creating a smooth rear surface to the spectacle plate which can help if the little blighter is prone to catching on the lamp.

The spectacles (both kinds) are coloured once in place using a fine tipped permanent marker (CD marker pen). I must remember to try to track down an orangey yellow pen some time though because there is a slotted distant arm planned for one of the signals at the 'up' end.

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy

Can I recommend the use of glass paint. We used it on the spectacle plates of our 7mm signals and it worked a treat. Dead easy to apply with a cocktail stick and ready coloured.

post-3059-0-72599700-1417193452_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Richard

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here are some pics of an almost finished Black 5 from a Bob Jones kit.

post-12813-0-71465800-1417619394_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-89017500-1417619422_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-77622700-1417619447_thumb.jpg

Some tidying up and fettling still to do and a few bits still to add. I've since added the pipework for the top feed, fingers crossed it looks OK when painted. I'm not looking forward to lining the tender with Fox transfers.

Nig H

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That looks fantastic Nigel!  How does it sit next to your Jubilees with the bigger bogie wheels?  Does it look ok?  I've dithered over which to use on mine (still not got beyond a part built tender for this and the 8F).

Simon

I've been taking a break from 2mm for a bit, having spent 18months building the shunting plank based around Reading signal works, I needed something quick and easy to do so I've made a couple of small ngauge shunting planks, the second of which is pictured below.

Now I've got this out of my system the sleepers have been laid for something in new 2mm

post-10866-0-35526100-1417729773_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-88120000-1417729785_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That looks fantastic Nigel!  How does it sit next to your Jubilees with the bigger bogie wheels?  Does it look ok?  I've dithered over which to use on mine (still not got beyond a part built tender for this and the 8F).

Simon

Thanks Simon.

Here is a pic showing a Jubilee with the Black 5. Both use 6.5mm diameter wheels, which is about to scale.

post-12813-0-42983600-1417783480_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention the tender is built from my own etched kit, its not one of Bob's etches.

Nig H

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel could we have a photo of the jubilee aswell

Hello John,

There are pics of Polyphemus and Simon's Jubilee on my products page of the Association website at Farish Jubilee.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Not sure I should post here any more give the excellent standards been shown by ohers 

However some progress

The 03 has bee sorted and running fine on DC now to chip it   :O   ( hopefully no more magic smoke )

Some basic scenic work on my yet un-name SR / LT layout mainly because I have no motivation to finish the track and lay the 3/4th rail

Nothing fixed as yet as still getting a impression as to what I want

The 59 Tube has been reworked with lights ready to shuttle  along the "no points" test track part of the layout  

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad you did post Nick I must try to get to the Canterbury meeting soon

It looks pretty good to me

John

John

your welcome to join us 2nd Thursday of the month 1900-2100  we even get a little modelling done 

Edited by nick_bastable

• RMweb Gold

Don't knock yourself Nick the 03 looks very respectable and the LT set looks very interesting. I quite like LT stock from  time spent in London then had the pleasure of seeing it on the Isle of Wight. Quite odd seeing an LT set run along side the Cliff top park with your back to the sea or running on single track across the brading marshes. I can understand the 3rd and 4th rail issue though double the work for a length of track. I assume the 3rd and 4th rail will be dummy?. It would be lovely to have the sound of the whistle.

Don