Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've finally managed to complete my set of Worsley Works coaches...

GWR 4 & 6 Wheel Dean Period Coaches

Left to right : T38 Van 3rd, U4 1st/2nd Composite, S9 All 3rd and T47 Van 3rd

All are sitting on David Eveleigh chassis (albeit enhanced with some of the paraphernalia that lies below a coach).  All have been finished in the GWR's 1880-1907 livery (many thanks to Nigel Ashton and Nick Clearly for supplying ModelMaster transfers).

All being well I'll be taking them along to the AGM on Saturday.

Ian
Edited by Ian Smith
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well I've finally managed to complete my set of Worsley Works coaches...

Left to right : T38 Van 3rd, U4 1st/2nd Composite, S9 All 3rd and T47 Van 3rd

All are sitting on David Eveleigh chassis (albeit enhanced with some of the paraphernalia that lies below a coach).  All have been finished in the GWR's 1880-1907 livery (many thanks to Nigel Ashton and Nick Clearly for supplying ModelMaster transfers).

All being well I'll be taking them along to the AGM on Saturday.

Ian

I Trust you will be entering them 

With all the superb pictures from the AGM I am feeling unworthy:)

Here are a few pics of my best effort so far, Nigel Hunts 2-4-2T. Just waiting for the castings to be available from N Brass.

post-1489-0-89825900-1413305809_thumb.jpg

post-1489-0-66297700-1413305883_thumb.jpg

post-1489-0-78431100-1413305843_thumb.jpg

The bits sticking out at the from will form the clams for the smokebox door. I may have departed slightly from the recommended order of construction :)

I am very pleased with this kit and the chassis runs really well. I think this is down to the simpler 4-coupled mechanism (compared to my other efforts) and the radial trucks being lightly sprung, giving good pickup.

Andrew

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

With all the superb pictures from the AGM I am feeling unworthy:)

Here are a few pics of my best effort so far, Nigel Hunts 2-4-2T. Just waiting for the castings to be available from N Brass.

attachicon.gifDSCN1992.JPG

attachicon.gifRSCN2032.JPG

attachicon.gifRSCN2039.JPG

The bits sticking out at the from will form the clams for the smokebox door. I may have departed slightly from the recommended order of construction :)

I am very pleased with this kit and the chassis runs really well. I think this is down to the simpler 4-coupled mechanism (compared to my other efforts) and the radial trucks being lightly sprung, giving good pickup.

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Your model is looking good, and it's nice to see someone build one of my kits. Your comments are noted. I too am waiting for N Brass to do the castings. Which loco will it be? Mine will be 50850.

Have you done the roof yet? Mine is detachable so you can get inside the cab.

Regards,

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

I remember someone asking about making crossing where no assembly jig is available. I want to make a 1:6.5 crossover (gives a radius a bit over 2ft ). First I created the crossover in Templot then printed off two copies the first is for the assembly of the crossover the second copy is used to assemble the crossings were the print can be damaged during soldering.

post-8525-0-20106600-1413476279_thumb.jpg

This shows the shaped pieces of rail being soldered to bits of scrap etch. There is another piece of scrap to be added under the nose.

post-8525-0-34214400-1413476318_thumb.jpg

This shows the crossing with the crossover behind. One stock rail already added

post-8525-0-20846500-1413476344_thumb.jpg

Ths shows the completed crossing with the scrap etch trimmed back and some chairs threaded on.

It will first be set in place to chaeck alignment then a bit of 5 min epoxy used to fix the scrap etch pieces onto the timbers. Gauges are used to hold it in place from the stock rail while the epoxy sets. The chairs can then be fixed down.

The second crossing will be gauged from the first one then the second straight stock rail fixed. Trying to poisition two crossings between two stock rails with the scrap etch fixings the position on the timbers would be too difficult for me.

Don

• Like 4

Hello Andrew,

Your model is looking good, and it's nice to see someone build one of my kits. Your comments are noted. I too am waiting for N Brass to do the castings. Which loco will it be? Mine will be 50850.

Have you done the roof yet? Mine is detachable so you can get inside the cab.

I have made the roof detachable but it tends to detach itself at the moment. I need to rework the fixings. Here's a more recent pic with handrails and springs fitted and showing the roof trying to escape :)

post-1489-0-26903400-1413718724_thumb.jpg

Andrew

• Like 4

Another signal for St Ruth in the pipeline. This is my first attempt at a square post job with a wasp-waist arm. This one will sit part way along the platform and cover moves over the facing point where the 'centre road' carriage sidings diverge. This situation was unique to Penzance so I'm trying to follow the real pre-1938 signal as closely as possible, although I don't have the clearest of photos to work from.

Since I don't possess a milling machine and don't fancy signing up for a huge amount of filing, I took a punt and drew up an experimental square post etch on my recent sheet. The post is formed from two pieces, both folded into an 'L' and then soldered together. Doing the fold is a bit tricky, but once that's done the idea seems to work pretty well.

The whole thing is assembled on an etched jig which has fold up tabs to locate the main post and holes to take drills to locate the etches for the bracket bits. The bracket doll is just  multi-layer thing because the real doll seems to be unusually small in section - too small to have a finial in fact.

The first couple of pics show the thing in the jig and fresh from the jig prior to cleaning up.

post-9623-0-55787600-1413752079_thumb.jpgpost-9623-0-89029300-1413752094_thumb.jpg

Now it's starting to actually look like the drawing. Lots more work to do yet though.

post-9623-0-17769400-1413752112_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

the growing band of minerals

Looks like a train of mineral wagons to me. You certainly aren't hanging about.

I'd suggest checking the axleguards on the leading wagon though - they appear to be sticking out at a rather jaunty angle.

Regards, Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Just about to come off my workbench is my GWR Small Metro Tank...

post-12089-0-05972700-1415700092_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-63629800-1415700103_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-10810200-1415700115_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-08156700-1415700125_thumb.jpg

I still need to turn up the spectacle plates in brass to add to the cab front (I might get those done today before taking her over to Wolvey tonight for the Midland Area Group meeting tonight), but she will at least be ready for the Warley exhibition later this month.  Hopefully, I will be able to convince Jerry that he really needs an interlude of Edwardian elegance on his 1970's operation of Highbury :sungum:

Like my saddle tank, she still needs a boiler back head and other cab details (including the crew!!), and there is still some detail to add to the chassis but I don't think that what isn't there really detracts too much.

I will update my blog soon to more fully describe what I've done since the last instalment to get her to this current state.

Ian

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully, I will be able to convince Jerry that he really needs an interlude of Edwardian elegance on his 1970's operation of Highbury :sungum:

Like my saddle tank, she still needs a boiler back head and other cab details (including the crew!!), and there is still some detail to add to the chassis but I don't think that what isn't there really detracts too much.

Ian

I won't need much convincing Ian, that's beautiful. please bring her along over the weekend for a trip over the North Somerset Light.

Problem with the half cabs is they need a backhead and crew (another reason my MR 1F has a full cab!). Also, I think I would be tempted to give the paintwork a bit of shine to reflect that Edwardian spit and polish.

That said, I think that's a stunning piece of work, really looking forward to seeing her in the flesh.

Jerry

Simply stunning.  I particularly like the choice of a quite subdued Indian red (not trying to re-open that debate, I just like the tone you have chosen :) ).  Are the chimney top and whistles turned in metal or painted?

Rabs,

Indian Red is a Precision Paints version.  A coat of Humbrol Satin Varnish (which annoyingly has dried very matt) has probably toned it down bit (it has the Pre 1928 green).  The chimney was turned from phosphor bronze rod (I'd copper plated the chimney on my saddle tank with copper sulphate solution and a PP3 battery), the whistles are also pretty rough turnings in brass but are good enough from normal viewing distances.

Problem with the half cabs is they need a backhead and crew (another reason my MR 1F has a full cab!). Also, I think I would be tempted to give the paintwork a bit of shine to reflect that Edwardian spit and polish.

That said, I think that's a stunning piece of work, really looking forward to seeing her in the flesh.

Jerry

Jerry,

She will get a back head and a crew (probably not in time for Warley), and the Humbrol Satin Varnish that I'd used was supposed to give a bit of a sheen (it did on my saddle tank!!).  So I do need to re-do the varnishing (but that will require some careful masking or a re-paint of the black afterwards).

Thank you all for the kind comments and "ratings of 'Craftsmanship/Clever' and 'Like'"

Regards,

Ian

• Like 1