Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium

Nick does a very nice set of boiler fittings for Johnson locks but I don't remember a kit.

Jerry

I've checked with Nick. The 1F kit is due to appear. He is waiting for the latest test etches at present.

David

• RMweb Premium

I've checked with Nick. The 1F kit is due to appear. He is waiting for the latest test etches at present.

David

Oh dear. Although I am now doing diesels this may be more than I can resist. I fear a slippery slope is starting......

Izzy

id love Chris but I wouldn't know where to start

John

I presume there ought to be a "to" in that sentence....

There is plenty of advice on designing etch artwork out there, as well as building 2mm locos. I would recommend starting with something simpler than a small Victorian tank loco with an open cab and not much room to hide a motor though! Plenty of people who post on here have started designing etches because what they wanted wasn't available.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

What chassis is he putting it on. If it's the Jinty it will need to be stretched somewhat.

Jerry

Jerry,

Nick says that it is based on the Farish 57xx although he still hopes to use the 64xx if it appears soon. The wheels on a 1F are 1" smaller than a 64xx which also has a wheelbase of 7'4" + 7' 4". I don't have a drawing of the 1F so I'm not sure of the wheelbase.

David

• RMweb Premium

I've just been reading the RM review of the new Bachmann 4mm 1F, and the wheelbase is stated as being 7'4" x 7'8" except for the last batch (1845-1899) which were 7'4" x 8'2", (can't find my drawings at present to double check but doubt they would be wrong). So the 57xx chassis (7'3" x 8'3") would be good for the last batch, and no worse for the earlier ones than the 64xx chassis, each being about 1mm out opposite ways.

Of course if you make your own 2mm chassis for it this won't matter and you can set the correct wheelbase.

Izzy

Edited by Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Don't let us stand in your way in producing one.

I seem to remember that Nigel Hunt has a finished 1F.

Chris

Chris,

That's right. The body was made from a shot down etch. Nick Dearnley got turned up at an Expo or AGM with about ten etches, and I managed to persuade him to let me have the last one. The chassis is scratch built, first with compensating beams for better pick-up (didn't work all that well), then finally with Simpson springing, which is working better.

Work on the loco was helped considerably by a series of articles in Model Railways magazine, starting January 1975, and entitled 'For Building begin Here', by B. Fesank. These articles can be regarded as essential reading for any would-be scratch builders. The articles were especially useful as they used a half -cab as the subject matter. The first issue includes scale drawings of a half-cab (w/base 7'4" and 7' 8").

My model started off powered with a Faulhaber 816. The chassis had to be attached to the body with the motor loosely screwed to the chassis, then the motor tightened up to mesh when inside the boiler tube. At some point the motor seized up and has been replaced with a Nigel Lawton 6mm diameter motor, so at least its easier to get the motor inside the boiler.

Nig H

My model started off powered with a Faulhaber 816. The chassis had to be attached to the body with the motor loosely screwed to the chassis, then the motor tightened up to mesh when inside the boiler tube. At some point the motor seized up and has been replaced with a Nigel Lawton 6mm diameter motor, so at least its easier to get the motor inside the boiler.

Nig H

Nigel,

How do you find the Nigel Lawton 6mm motor?  Initially I had thought about putting one of these inside my Metro Tank, but found that by boring out the boiler I could fit an 8mm one instead (although it will be a tight fit even replacing the standard wires of the NL motor with some enamelled wire).  I have one of Nigel's 6x12 motors ready in case I really struggle fitting the 8x16 one but worried about the torque and hence pulling power of the loco if I go down that route.  I would be interested to hear of others experience with these tiny motors.

Regards,

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I've just been reading the RM review of the new Bachmann 4mm 1F, and the wheelbase is stated as being 7'4" x 7'8" except for the last batch (1845-1899) which were 7'4" x 8'2", (can't find my drawings at present to double check but doubt they would be wrong). So the 57xx chassis (7'3" x 8'3") would be good for the last batch, and no worse for the earlier ones than the 64xx chassis, each being about 1mm out opposite ways.

Of course if you make your own 2mm chassis for it this won't matter and you can set the correct wheelbase.

Izzy

I assume that Nick was hoping that the 64xx would have appeared as it would have the upgraded chassis that Bachmann have used in all new Farish locos.

David

I assume that Nick was hoping that the 64xx would have appeared as it would have the upgraded chassis that Bachmann have used in all new Farish locos.

David

Even so, I cannot imagine that the motor placement in a relatively large GWR Pannier would suit a MR prototype with conventional side tanks.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Even so, I cannot imagine that the motor placement in a relatively large GWR Pannier would suit a MR prototype with conventional side tanks.

Chris

In the new Farish Jinty chassis the motor sits in the boiler facing the rear, with the lower half of the boiler being cast with the chassis. (see post #20 in my Jinty thread). As long as the 64xx chassis design is the same it should work - so long as the boiler pitch and diameter are similar.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Nigel,

How do you find the Nigel Lawton 6mm motor?  Initially I had thought about putting one of these inside my Metro Tank, but found that by boring out the boiler I could fit an 8mm one instead (although it will be a tight fit even replacing the standard wires of the NL motor with some enamelled wire).  I have one of Nigel's 6x12 motors ready in case I really struggle fitting the 8x16 one but worried about the torque and hence pulling power of the loco if I go down that route.  I would be interested to hear of others experience with these tiny motors.

Regards,

Ian

Hello Ian,

Sorry for not replying sooner. The 6mm motor seems to run quite fast, but its overall performance is hard for me to tell, as the 1F rarely gets used. On my test track recently, the performance wasn't great, and the decoder seemed to be malfunctioning. I've now stripped the chassis down and cleaned it in CIF. With the motor removed, it runs fine down a plank of wood, so I think the poor running was because of electrical pick-up issues. The loco is so small that it's hard to find anywhere to add any more lead to aid adhesion. Your milled chassis should help in that respect.

Regards,

Nig H

• 3 weeks later...

Just appeared on my workbench is the result of my first attempt at producing artwork for the chemical etching process :

First Attempt at Etching

On here, there are plates for both the 1854 Saddle Tank (1752) and the Metro (615), but also for a 1076 Buffalo (1601), a Dean Goods, an Armstrong Goods and a Duke (Fowey).  There are also some plates for some of the other members of the Midland Area Group of the 2mm Association too.  I've also produced the windows for my signal box and also some GWR station seats with the curly monogram ends (oh and of course some Shunt Ahead signal arms and "S" plates for them as MSE don't seem to do those in 2mm).  That lot should ensure that my retirement is a busy place :O 

Ian

• Like 4

Just appeared on my workbench is the result of my first attempt at producing artwork for the chemical etching process :

On here, there are plates for both the 1854 Saddle Tank (1752) and the Metro (615), but also for a 1076 Buffalo (1601), a Dean Goods, an Armstrong Goods and a Duke (Fowey).  There are also some plates for some of the other members of the Midland Area Group of the 2mm Association too.  I've also produced the windows for my signal box and also some GWR station seats with the curly monogram ends (oh and of course some Shunt Ahead signal arms and "S" plates for them as MSE don't seem to do those in 2mm).  That lot should ensure that my retirement is a busy place :O 

Ian

I could do with a few items off that etch, in particular the seat end, signal box windows and shunt ahead signal. Would quite happily by a complete etch if that's the simplest way. If possible, please contact me off-list

Mark A

I could do with a few items off that etch, in particular the seat end, signal box windows and shunt ahead signal. Would quite happily by a complete etch if that's the simplest way. If possible, please contact me off-list

Mark A

Mark,

I PM'd you yesterday.  However, since then I have looked at my etch a little closer, and I think that I've made the seat ends to big - DOH!!  I've scaled them such that the seat back is 3' high, in reality I think that they should be 2'6".  Rather than going to the expense of getting a new etch done for these I will probably put it down to experience.  When I actually come to needing some I for Modbury (some time off yet!) I will either look to see if I can lose about 1mm off the total height of these or bite the bullet and get some more etched.

Ian

More progress on the station buildings for Lightcliffe. Having finally arrived at an effect I'm happy with for soot and smoke blackened Yorkshire stone, I've now painted and glazed the waiting rooms and have made a start a the roof slates. Thought about using embossed plasticard and self-adhesive tiles but wasn't totally happy with either so have donned my hairshirt and started chopping up slate effect slips into 4x2mm pieces and sticking them on one by one. Actually finding it quite theraputic, accompanied by Nick Lowe on the CD player!

IMG_0685_1024_zpsdfec50f8.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple of weekends I've been at exhibitions - Halifax and Fencehouses this weekend and Shipley and Corrieshalloch the previous weekend - two layouts at opposite ends of the spectrum, both in terms of size and progress, both very enjoyable seeing the both of them.

Managed to make further progress on the waiting rooms for Lightcliffe though - finished the roof and now slotting in the window frames - blooming fiddly but does seem to bring out the colours of the stonework a bit more.

IMG_0709_1024_zps80ed3c50.jpg

IMG_0711_1024_zps2b7f8aa2.jpgIMG_0710_1024_zps266df7b3.jpgIMG_0712_1024_zps991c2b3b.jpg

• Like 8