Easybuild roof profile

Boris

OK guys, I am about 2/3 of the way through an Easybuild BSO kit and its just occurred to me that the roof and ends are an "interesting" fit. The instructions say to file back certain parts of the roof and the like, which I have done, it now sits quite happily on the sides, but then you look at the ends. There is a gap of several mm where the roof joins the ends, now what is really interesting is that several of the pictures on the Easybuild site also show this gap!

Is it supposed to look like that?

Boris,

All the threads I've read on the fit of the roof states that filler has to used. I'm looking at the 108 kit for one of 2013 projects. As an aside I spent 2 1/2 hours last night rolling a flat piece of brass into shape for my CCT build with all the weird radii that need to be copied... ...the men from the hospital will be coming for me soon...

My son is currently building an Easy Build BG and has noticed similar problems with the fit of the roof over the ends - requiring copious amounts of filling and sanding. Also the profile of the sides didn't match the curvature on the ends, more filling and sanding required. The sides had to be extensively sanded to remove some deep score marks (presuambly a result of the moulding/extrusion process-not sure of the method used) to the extent that the door outlines had to be re-scored.

Not quite such the easybuild we expected.

My son is currently building an Easy Build BG and has noticed similar problems with the fit of the roof over the ends - requiring copious amounts of filling and sanding. Also the profile of the sides didn't match the curvature on the ends, more filling and sanding required. The sides had to be extensively sanded to remove some deep score marks (presuambly a result of the moulding/extrusion process-not sure of the method used) to the extent that the door outlines had to be re-scored.

Not quite such the easybuild we expected.

Yes, I've had the same problem exactly, But, looking on the bright side I had a climb on the roof of a mark 1 today and where the roof meets the end there is a beading strip (I think cornice piece is the correct term(, and depending on the build date of the coach etc it is either welded or riveted. So, it should be quite easy to disguise the gap by modelling this beading strip, although it might be exaggerated slightly.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read with interest the various replies to this thread. I had intended to buy a five coach rake of Heljan Mark 1's but these look wrong so my thoughts turned to the Easybuild ones. From what has been said these too are not "right" requiring a great deal of fiddling to build. My question is; why oh why cant manufacturers take the trouble to get things right in the first place? Surely in this day and age this should not be difficult. I am fed up with badly fitting parts and poor kits so come on you producers lets have "proper" kits which are easy to make up for people with little or no experience.

I will now have to change my plans for a rake of Mk 1's.

railwayrod

''I will now have to change my plans for a rake of Mk 1's

Maybe you will, but for the little bit of work involved I got a rake of 5 mk 1's at Telford last year for less than half the price of a similar rake of Heljans, JLTRT,etc so all in all 'Im quite happy. And what's more they are easy to build and the choice of livery is yours.

Indeed, yes, there is a a gap between the roof and the end.  The main point of this thread was to find out whether I had missed something before doing anything drastic, as it happens, that beading strip I mentioned does actually do a more than acceptable job of covering the slight shortcoming in the kit itself and has solved the problem.  I went for a welded version, but I have since discovered bolted/riveted ones as well.  You pays your money and you takes your choice, if you want a museum quality model, try Dave Parkins over at MMP, you will get so much detail it will make your eyes cross!  An easybuild mk1 is one of those kits where if you want a simple to build coach that looks ok for a sensible price, you can have one, or if you spend a bit more time you can make a better model.

http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=4321

One of the MMP kits, I built their GUV and it is excellent.

Does this bode ill for my Class 108 DMU that is waiting to be built?

Chris Klein

I suppose it all depends on your viewpoint. The problems I mentioned earlier with the Easybuild BG that my son is building can (and have been) overcome but it's a bit annoying to have to fettle bits like this. In defence of Easybuild I have to say that now the problems have been overcome the model is certainly looking the part.

Boris made reference previously to MMP kits and as it happens I am currently building one of their Dogfish wagons. As Boris said the kits are complex (as they try to reproduce everything that's on the prototype) but because the parts are so well etched and thought has been given on how to assemble them, the kit is in some ways easier to build. All I have had to do is cut the part from the fret, remove the remnants of the securing tags, fold to shape and fit, which all the parts (46 fitted so far) have done first time everytime.

Archived