SE&CR Brake van

stock_2007

Hi I hope this is in the right place and has not been asked before, but I've just picked up a C class in SECR livery really nice loco. I wondered if anyone made

a brake van RTR or a kit from around the time it ran in this livery. I've found a CAMBRIAN 'Dance Hall' van but I think it was built after the re-grouping.

As always any help is very welcome :O

From Cambrian's page:

'Built from 1923-26. The right-hand picture shows a preserved van at Sheffield Park on the Bluebell Railway. The kit could be modified to represent the earlier 1921-built vans of D1559 There are extra parts to allow the Departmental "Ballast Brake Van" conversion of 10 vans in 1953 to be built (with ONE verandah boxed in). Several of these vans were air-piped and survived until the 1990s. The last survivors were ZPO DS55466, ZXW DS55476 (BBV), ZXV DS55493 (BBV), ZTO DS55509, ZTO DS55512 '

So yes, just about acceptable? I'm building one at the moment and so far its come together very nicely, considering how little experience I have!

The 'Dance Halls' date from 1921, except for the prototype which came out in 1918, so they aren't really contemporary with the pre-war SECR livery on the Bachmann C class. They'd have been painted grey by then

D&S did one of the earlier 6 wheeled vans, until their 4mm range vanished.

There's a LC&DR brake van from Roxey mouldings that would have been in use in the right time period - I've never built one as they are out of my time period.

For all of the reasons above, I'm in the process of building the Roxey kit. I have started on the brake gear now, so not much more to do before adding couplings and painting it.

I think once I have a some little things out the way ie track etc I'll pick one up. Any chance of a photo please.

I am contemplating scratch building one of the 6 wheel SER brake vans illustrated in Southern Wagons part 3. Not sure how to do the 6 wheels yet, but the bodywork looks reasonanbly straightforward.

Then I will need some local coal trader coal wagons to go between.

If I succeed I'll let you know how I get on.

I am contemplating scratch building one of the 6 wheel SER brake vans illustrated in Southern Wagons part 3. Not sure how to do the 6 wheels yet, but the bodywork looks reasonanbly straightforward.

Then I will need some local coal trader coal wagons to go between.

If I succeed I'll let you know how I get on.

Comet do a simple 6 wheeled etched W iron kit, looks very easy to use

If the idea is just to have a train to match the loco, rather than the SECR pre WW1, you could do a Bluebell train - 592 is the preserved engine and the Bluebell has two Dance Hall/Dreadnaught brakes in SECR livery (despite the fact that at least one of them was SR built). Both have been used in demo freights with the C Class.

• 2 weeks later...

The SECR also had a fleet of brakevans virtually identical to the Midland design as produced by Slater's, except they had a full-length roof,- i.e. covered balconies both ends. These came in both 4 & 6-wheel varieties.. I'm having a bash at converting the Parkside-Dundas  MR-design LMS van into the 6-wheel variety...

The SECR also had a fleet of brakevans virtually identical to the Midland design as produced by Slater's, except they had a full-length roof,- i.e. covered balconies both ends. These came in both 4 & 6-wheel varieties.. I'm having a bash at converting the Parkside-Dundas  MR-design LMS van into the 6-wheel variety...

The first batch of SECR vans (1898) had only one veranda, similar to the MR version.  The second batch, of course, had two verandas and their precursors had the second veranda provided between 1904-10, with slight differences between them.  As it happens, there is a Slaters 7mm version on my workbench and I'm about to decide which version to build.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

The SECR also had a fleet of brakevans virtually identical to the Midland design as produced by Slater's, except they had a full-length roof,- i.e. covered balconies both ends. These came in both 4 & 6-wheel varieties.. I'm having a bash at converting the Parkside-Dundas  MR-design LMS van into the 6-wheel variety..

Hi I was able to pick up the right Parkside kit to try your kit-bash, but I've been thinking about the 6-wheel underframe or where to find one? As luck would have it I've just read about

David Tisdale's project in the RAILWAY MODELLER where he kit-bash's a GWR 6-wheel Toad. I'm going to try and fit a middle axle to the parkside kit. Ok it may not be 100% SECR but it'll do me till I can find something better.

• 8 months later...

Archived