White noise - is this normal?

ia909

Hi

I keep wanting to properly get into sound but each time I've tried I end up being disappointed.

Whether it's been a Digitrax soundbug in a Kato HO American diesel, or a Bachmann Spectrum On30 scale logging engine, (Tsunami), a very expensive Blackstone HOn3 C-19 (Tsunami), an Atlas shunter (QSI I think), or even a Bachmann 37 with a LokSound 4 in it, I have the same issue. White noise. Hissing. Or something similar.

From what I've read, it's a combination of poor decoders and perhaps even poorer speakers badly fitted.

Santa's bringing a Bachmann 66 with a 21 pin socket. I'm tempted by a Zimo and Digitrains bass reflex speaker combination.

Does anyone have any experience of such a set-up?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian

Hi

I keep wanting to properly get into sound but each time I've tried I end up being disappointed.

Whether it's been a Digitrax soundbug in a Kato HO American diesel, or a Bachmann Spectrum On30 scale logging engine, (Tsunami), a very expensive Blackstone HOn3 C-19 (Tsunami), an Atlas shunter (QSI I think), or even a Bachmann 37 with a LokSound 4 in it, I have the same issue. White noise. Hissing. Or something similar.

From what I've read, it's a combination of poor decoders and perhaps even poorer speakers badly fitted.

Santa's bringing a Bachmann 66 with a 21 pin socket. I'm tempted by a Zimo and Digitrains bass reflex speaker combination.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian

I have no experience of this chip/speaker combination but it would appear from your previous experience that you have always purchased RTR sound and most if not all RTR manufacturer.

White noise is almost invariable a combination of over powering the speaker and poor installation where sound from the rear of the speaker is allowed to mix with sound from the front. This can be compounded by the speaker being badly sited. One would have thought that manufacturers would have paid greater attention to correct installation but re-tooling is expensive and sound chips are also quite expensive to both acquire and fit.

Frequently, some minor attention to the speaker fit will be rewarding but you will be modifying things on an expensive model.

You have a choice with the 66. Zimo is pretty good but doesn't offer fully auto notching. Nevertheless, some swear by 'pauliebanger's manual solution using function buttons. I don't know whether he has 'done' the 66.

There are several suppliers of 66 projects in the Loksound and you will need to do some research on here for names but 'legomanbiffo' is a good start with Howes, Olivia Trains and South west Digital in close support as originators and suppliers and fitters of sound chips. All of them are aware of the speaker installation conundrum.

Good luck and don't give up yet. There are some cracking sounds out there.

Thanks for the comments David.

Paul has previously answered one of my earlier queries and, as it's only a 90 minute drive from me, I am attracted to the possibility of visiting Digitrains to see the Zimo, of which he speaks glowingly, first-hand. Howes are around the same distance, sadly in the opposite direction!

I'm also highly impressed with Legomanbiffo's creations albeit my only exposure is via You Tube.

I should probably follow my own advice to others and "try-before-I-buy".

Regards,

Ian

i experience whiite woise on my Olivia's Trains 4 CEP EMU chip it is the only sound chip I have noticed it on.

XF

Ive not had any problems with legomanbiffo,howes,or swd v4 or 3.5 chips using bass enhanced speakers!! only thing ive noticed is that the v4 chip runs much hotter than the 3.5 chips.......

Thanks guys.

I definitely need to go and listen!

Hi

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian

Re this "white noise" or background hissing ?  I've also noticed this on a number of sound decoders,  it's most apparent when a function like the spirax valve/air ticking is selected with the main engine sound (F1) off. It can also sometimes be heard in the background behind horn and door slam sounds etc. Not sure if it's the way the sound file is recorded or what, once your become aware of it, it does become rather annoying/irritating. I use a mixture of Lok 3.5/4 with SWD/Howes/legoman sounds and also Zimo 644's. Switching the spirax/air tick on on the 644's with the main sound off, the background "white noise/hissing is very apparent. When turning the vol down, this noise is still in the background, only less so.

Most of the speakers used are sealed units, so poor speaker installation is not contributing to the problem.

Interesting subject this, perhaps those more knowledgeable in loco sound recording/editing etc could comment ? 

Merry Xmas

Ken

Certainly on the ESU side of things the hiss seems to be introduced during the software conversion of the original ''high quality'' (sic) sounds to the bit rate required by the decoder. This is then often made worse by a poor speaker and/or installation! You can hear it on the computers speakers even before it hits the decoder. Kev

On ESU chips the hiss is an unwanted artefact produced by the chip itself. If you load a high quality clip of silence (with no hiss whatsoever) you get a small amount of hiss when you play it back. It only becomes noticeable with things like spirax valves, where the wanted sound is in amongst periods of silence. It irritates me no end. I suspect that if the Zimo chip suffers from this as well, the reason is likely to be the same

Bif

On ESU chips the hiss is an unwanted artefact produced by the chip itself. If you load a high quality clip of silence (with no hiss whatsoever) you get a small amount of hiss when you play it back. It only becomes noticeable with things like spirax valves, where the wanted sound is in amongst periods of silence. It irritates me no end. I suspect that if the Zimo chip suffers from this as well, the reason is likely to be the same

Bif

Thanks Ian (and everyone else).

Although I'm disheartened by what seems to be an inherent issue, at least I know now it's not my hearing.

Hearing the hiss on the V4, QSI and Tsunami chips, and reading your explanation, the odds must be that it may be present on Zimo too though I've no first hand experience to confirm that opinion. 

Interestingly, I don't hear the hissing when watching (over and over again!), your YouTube videos. Maybe the compression "softens" that particular frequency range.

Happy New Year to all.

Ian

Archived