Bachmann Midland Compound problem

wilfy

I recently recieved a Bachmnn Midland Compound 4-4-0, model number 31-931. I have to say this model was a big disapointment, specifically the tender wheels. The metal on the running surface of the wheels (the bit that rests on the track top) was paper thin. This was so bad that there were patches of the plastic wheel centre showing through. It really looked like it had had long term running even though it was brand new. I have no confidence at all that it would stand up to extended running without wearing out quickly. It reminded me of the old Hornby "Silver Seal" wheels where the chrome plate came off in patches with use. I looked at a replacement in the shop and although it was slightly better it still had the plastic coming through (on the pony truck this time) and a strange patternation on the tender wheels running surface. Result, order cancelled and that for the yet to be released weathered 9F. I need to know that the 9F will have straight running plates and a decent amount of metal on the wheel rims. The shop staff were very helpfull, this is a very well known big player in the market based in the north Midlands. The propriater told me that the current 9F stock had been sold off cheep because of the non-straight running plate issue. I can confirm this myself as I bought the Bachmann 9F Evening Star at a very reduced price and yes, the running plate droops a bit at the front.

I would recommend people to get a hands on look at these models before they part with there hard earned, which makes mail order a problem unless you are prepered to return the model. But how do you know the replacement will be any better.

In balance I have bought Bachmann models both new and second hand and been well pleased with them, but it seems caution is needed now.

In balance I have to give the reply received from Bachmann when I asked them about this. I still have my doubts but here is what they said.

Thank you for your enquiry. I'm sorry to read your email, however the wheels of the Compound are all metal, not plated plastic, and I think you are seeing on the treat of the wheel the chemical blackening that is applied to them.

I have to own up and say it looks like I was talking a load of tosh. The only thing I can say in my defence is that when I looked at the wheel rims they did look dubious. From the info and replies received the wheels are proper metal as they should be.

I wonder if I could consider the topic resolved and closed.

Archived