Wire, HELP!

ess1uk

• RMweb Gold

Can I use 3 pair telephony cable to wire up my layout?

Will it handle the current?

Cheers.

Best not, telephone cable is VERY small cross section and would lead to voltage drop and poor performance.

Andi

The BT engineer who used to maintain my telecomms network wired his layout using "offcuts", using standard Krone insulation displacement connections and boxes. It was very neat and quick to do and very reliable.

I have used ordinary telephone cable far less neatly but just as effectively. I don't think I've had any voltage drop issues.

It is not ideal being solid conductor and small cross sectional area, but if you are used to using it and restrict its use to short runs (less than 2m) on low current circuits (less than 0.25A) you should not have too much trouble. I am quite amazed at how successfully it has been used by some modellers who have a ready source of it and know how to terminate it reliably!

Wire is not expensive (compared to most modelling supplies), so it is well worth buying more suitable wire like the 24/02 or 16/02 flexible wire for general wiring and eliminate any potential problems before you start. If you have solenoid point motors think about larger wire sizes because the currents involved are very high (typically 4A or more) and the effect of losses in the wiring are much more significant.

The BT engineer who used to maintain my telecomms network wired his layout using "offcuts", using standard Krone insulation displacement connections and boxes. It was very neat and quick to do and very reliable.

I have used ordinary telephone cable far less neatly but just as effectively. I don't think I've had any voltage drop issues.

Never thought about the IDC blocks, bet it looked the business.

It may just about be OK with an analogue layout but I wouldn't recommend it for a DCC layout where the current flowing, especially though a power bus, can be much greater.

Yeah I did wonder about the current being drawn.

Want to be able to convert to DCC so that's why I'm making sure I get it right first time.

It is not ideal being solid conductor and small cross sectional area, but if you are used to using it and restrict its use to short runs (less than 2m) on low current circuits (less than 0.25A) you should not have too much trouble. I am quite amazed at how successfully it has been used by some modellers who have a ready source of it and know how to terminate it reliably!

Wire is not expensive (compared to most modelling supplies), so it is well worth buying more suitable wire like the 24/02 or 16/02 flexible wire for general wiring and eliminate any potential problems before you start. If you have solenoid point motors think about larger wire sizes because the currents involved are very high (typically 4A or more) and the effect of losses in the wiring are much more significant.

Thanks Suzie.

I will drop by Maplins and pick up some bigger wire.

I've just bought flexible 16/0.2mm (though annoyingly Maplins didn't have brown) and am going to use some flat T+E (the sort you'd wire sockets with) for the feeds/DCC bus (when I convert).

I did wonder about T+E but thought it might be overkill.

When ever I have had to scrap a car, I have stripped it for spares to keep the replacement going. ( I rarely change my car, preferring to maintain it; I sometimes acquire a similar one just for spares). So in my garage loft I have a large plastic tray with many many coils of different coloured wire stashed away for possible use. A very cheap source of wire for layouts.

As for Maplins, very expensive. Try Farnell or Google for other suppliers, you will save a fortune.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

There are different weights of telephone wire which can cope with different currents. The exterior ones were rated at so much a mile from about 2lb up to around 10lb. A lot of these were vaseline filled and could be useful for an outdoor layout. However if is has aluminium wire forget it. Telephone wire is normally pair internal wire usually has a white pair to go with the coulur ones. By using both as a single wire you can double the capacity. Smaller sizes have the pairs as blue with white paired with white with blue, the same for orange green etc. Single cored wire is ok for fixed wires but subject them to flexing and you can have problems. However for DCC I would recommend going for thicker wire You can buy cables in 1.5mm, 1mm amd 0.75 sizes which are usuful for connecting up the buses to the command station or linking between boards. Because these come sheathed it keeps the two wites together with a tough outer. Use the 16/0.2 for droppers ( definitly not solid wire for droppers as the rail can move with expansion.

Don

OO gauge. Not that big at the moment but growing slowly.

A lot will depend on how long your cable runs will be.This should ultimately decide what wire to use.

It is better to over engineer than under engineer.

You'll find plenty of wire online here at Rapid.

http://www.rapidonline.com/SearchResults.aspx?kw=equipment+wire&srb=0&dir=0&icl=1&cat=7047

There are plenty of DCC sites on line where you can get proper advise on the correct wire to use.

A lot will depend on how long your cable runs will be.This should ultimately decide what wire to use.

It is better to over engineer than under engineer.

You'll find plenty of wire online here at Rapid.

http://www.rapidonline.com/SearchResults.aspx?kw=equipment+wire&srb=0&dir=0&icl=1&cat=7047

There are plenty of DCC sites on line where you can get proper advise on the correct wire to use.

The longest runs will be no more than 2m as the shunting layout is only going to be max 2m long and the other bit is the oval anyway.

Thanks again to you all.

The longest runs will be no more than 2m as the shunting layout is only going to be max 2m long and the other bit is the oval anyway.

Thanks again to you all.

If you're only talking 2 mts long then 16/0.2 will do you fine for both bus & droppers wires.

For a layout 2 mts long you wont need much wire so there is no point in scrimping on the quality.

You will find coils of wire 10mts long on E bay. Just get yourself a few coils of this & you're away.

Archived