Newhaven Harbour

Colin parks

• RMweb Premium

The 2Bil units were coach-bolted through the steel body sheets to the wooden frames beneath.  Technically not rivets but definitely standing proud of the body side.  I would suggest the laser-scan of 2090 has translated into oversized mouldings on the model.  They are there but should probably appear flatter than Hornby has them.

Oh dear!

I hope a 'rivet war' is not breaking out here! I had a good look at the side sheeting of the 4 COR motor coach at the Bluebell Railway. (The 4 COR is the 2 BIL's near contemporary and in terms of construction, both date from Maunsell/Lynes design period '5' according to David Brown.) It had what looked like no. 12 slotted-head screws holding the sheeting in place. (Don't worry Rick I didn't remove one to see what size it was, there was a loose one hanging out a bit!)

post-8139-0-93651800-1378065197_thumb.jpg

Terminology aside, the side sheet 'fixings' on 2 BIL 2090, screws or not, have slotted heads and are much flatter than the Hornby model in effect (especially after many re-varnishings). What can be said, categorically, is that no 2 BIL had its window frames fixed on with raised-head fixings; the first ten had wooden fillets around the panes and the 'production' series had Alpax aluminium frames, which were held by counter-sunk slotted fixings.

Colin

A couple of things I would like to comment on having worked at Brighton as a guard in the late 70's to late 80's..

1. The Newhaven station building you have done is very similar in appearance to West Worthing station and must have been fairly 'stock architecture.

2.  You must include the Martini tankers that used to be collected from Newhaven yard for transportation to Southampton.  Many an empty coffee jar was filled by the train crew from the outlet on the tanker.

3.  The station totem signs in the Brighton west coast area were replaced over quite a wide period.  I worked at Worthing in the late 70's and I remember Ford was replaced around then as one of the station senior railmen was a Ford and managed to get hold of a green totem.

Great photos of your modelling, keep up the great work.

A couple of things I would like to comment on having worked at Brighton as a guard in the late 70's to late 80's..

1. The Newhaven station building you have done is very similar in appearance to West Worthing station and must have been fairly 'stock architecture.

2.  You must include the Martini tankers that used to be collected from Newhaven yard for transportation to Southampton.  Many an empty coffee jar was filled by the train crew from the outlet on the tanker.

3.  The station totem signs in the Brighton west coast area were replaced over quite a wide period.  I worked at Worthing in the late 70's and I remember Ford was replaced around then as one of the station senior railmen was a Ford and managed to get hold of a green totem.

Great photos of your modelling, keep up the great work.

Thanks for your comments lightengine.

As I have said many a time in the past, the layout does not look like the real Newhaven Harbour! The station building was based on Seaford/Kemptown/London Road (Brighton) but adapted to fit the area available on the base board.

I have not heard about Martini tankers at Newhaven. When did they run?

The totems and other signage at Newhaven Town were changed for the corporate image during 1976. I hustled the manager at the Newhaven Harbour office until he gave in and sold me one for a donation of five pounds to the Railwaymans' Orphans Fund. (Forgive me those who have heard this tale ad nauseum!)

The next layout will hopefully be of a prototype location!

All the best,

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

If I remember rightly we picked the tankers up on a Saturday morning.  We never went through to Southampton as we were Brighton crew so I guess we changed at Chichester or Havant.  The stuff in the tankers was lethal to drink, it was reputedly about 26 times the strength of the finished bottled product!

If I remember rightly we picked the tankers up on a Saturday morning.  We never went through to Southampton as we were Brighton crew so I guess we changed at Chichester or Havant.  The stuff in the tankers was lethal to drink, it was reputedly about 26 times the strength of the finished bottled product!

[/quot

Hi lightengine,

I would be interested to know when it was that you worked these tanker trains.

All the best,

Colin

I was at Brighton traincrew 78 to about 82. It was a Brighton job but it was during the week (not Sat as I thought). The yard was Brighton side of the station and probably built on now.

Hi lightengine,

I left Sussex in Jan. 1979. This might explain why I do not remember tanker traffic of the alcoholic kind at Newhaven. However, I do remember that locos used to lay by in the old West Quay Branch spur just south of the goods shed at the town yard. But that was in the mid-seventies.

Interestingly, in the last year, sidings have been re-laid at Newhaven Town. These are sitiuated approximately where sidings for aggregate traffic were situated in the 80's for transportation of fly ash from the incinerator on the North Quay. I am not sure if they are in use yet.

All the best,

Colin

I was around the area until 88 and left BR then.  One of my 1st trips out as a guard was 3 Bridges to Newhaven freight.  We got just past the Eastbourne road and ran into a herd of cows on the track.  I still have my road learning notebook showing the position of crossings/stations/boxes etc in 78.

• 2 years later...

Newhaven Harbour - layout for sale.

00 Gauge,  DCC control  11' x 16' in four sections.

Due to health complications, this layout is going to be put up for sale to a good home.  It will be sold in good working order and full exhibition condition, including lights, stands and cloth skirting.  The layout will not be sold with stock or control equipment. Location: Mid Wales

I am open to reasonable offers.

post-8139-0-78528900-1466974012.jpg

I would like to thank all those who have followed, commented on and supported Newhaven Harbour both here on RMweb and at shows.

Colin Parks 

• RMweb Premium

If I were anywhere within reasonable distance or it were viable to ship it here I'd have sent you a PM.  As it is I can only wish you and the layout the best futures as you go your separate ways.  

• RMweb Gold

I can only echo what's been said before me this is one of the layouts that may have pushed me to try modelling 3rd rail electrics.

If I had an idea of funds as I have the space but transporting would be the major obstacle for me.

So I hope it goes to a good home and possibly continue on the exhibition circuit.

Cheers

Colin

Many thanks for your comments.

I am really hoping to sell NHH as a going concern as it has been great fun to operate over the years.  It is interesting to reflect on the fortunes of Southern Electric modellers since I started in 2006, when all that was available as RTR was the Hornby/ex Lima class 73, with the hint of a 4 CEP some day.  Now there are more than enough electric units and rolling stock to get anyone going, even buildings ready to plant.  (Admittedly there are plenty of gaps, but I do not want to go down that road just now!)  

But one of these units in green would be rather fine:

post-8139-0-30512900-1467052276_thumb.jpg

Colin

Many thanks for your comments.

I am really hoping to sell NHH as a going concern as it has been great fun to operate over the years.  It is interesting to reflect on the fortunes of Southern Electric modellers since I started in 2006, when all that was available as RTR was the Hornby/ex Lima class 73, with the hint of a 4 CEP some day.  Now there are more than enough electric units and rolling stock to get anyone going, even buildings ready to plant.  (Admittedly there are plenty of gaps, but I do not want to go down that road just now!)  

But one of these units in green would be rather fine:

post-8139-0-30512900-1467052276_thumb.jpg

Colin

Another blue EMU!

This is Tin HAL 2698, out for the first time on the layout since having some minor modifications to add the water strips above the doors.  

post-8139-0-93984800-1467286966_thumb.jpg

(That old Shark model in the sidings really should not be on a third rail layout with those ploughs, but it has just turned thirty years old, so thought it deserved a run.)

Colin

Hi Colin,

Have just seen your post. The very best wishes to you. Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Whoever takes on the layout will be very lucky indeed. . 

Best wishes,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your comments.  I am aware that being right out here in Mid-Wales does make selling the layout more challenging, but hope I can find it a good home. In the meantime, some of the more recent stock like the Tin HAL is getting a run out prior to conversion to P4. (Wish my photographic skills were as good as yours!)

All the best,

Colin

"The train at platform one..."

post-8139-0-44104900-1467659569_thumb.jpg

That Tin HAL had a lucky escape when I accidentally left it on the track while running the layout in DC mode for half an hour!  It acted very erratically when DCC control was restored, but this seems to have been due to dirty pick ups (caused by the brief change in voltage perhaps?).  Glad the Bachmann decoder did not suffer and all is well again.

Hello Colin

Sorry to hear about your health problems, something I can empathise with at the moment; also sorry to hear that you are getting rid of your beautiful layout. I have always enjoyed seeing it on it's public appearances. My own SR layout Bedlam Heath is coming to the end of it's life with me and is now sold but has two more shows to go finishing at Tonbridge in February 2017. After 10 years I think it is time to call  it a day though as I have three more exhibition layouts I don't  think  I will be getting any rest any  time soon. Nice to the pictures you have posted on here, especially showing some of the more unusual  SR EMUs. Wonderful models. One of the things that always attracted me to the layout was the fact that my eldest son used to live up the road from there for a few years  so I used to visit from time to time. Anyway all the best and I hope that you build something else equally good in the future. 

Cheers

George

Archived