RMweb

Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

Just been notified by Hattons

"Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item(KOGC non DCC) will arrive with us on or after Friday 31st January 2014"

Well that's 13 months since ordering, and there I was worrying about a cash flow problem with other orders!

11? Surely not!

but I take my job as spokesperson for Hornby PLC SERIOUSLY

It does look like they have added wire cab side rails.

Sorry my photo was photo-edited shamelessly, as mentioned in the post.  I will put up a comparison here; this is pretty much what the camera saw, although it's two pics crudely joined to extend the focus.

post-7929-0-84670500-1389036738.jpg

post-7929-0-15518300-1389037024.jpg

Edited by robmcg

Paranoia reigneth....is it infectious ?

There will be unrest, rioting in the streets, markets will tumble,  Hornby have got it wrong again!

oh,   no,     wait, 

and as to the editing of shadow under the cab handrail, apologies to those who thought it was genuinely a wire handrail.  I also add shadows all over the place, change dimension, paint or move cab fall plates, and generally try to create a more realistic view of the model.  Narrowed wheels, I though rather gave the game away, and we all know that Swindon experimented with 11 spoke wheels about the time of The Great Bear... 

Actually the two photos above show how little the cab handrails matter in the appearance of the model, in my humble opinion, including the cab and tender solid vertical rails, equally the wheels..   of course 10-spokes would be better, but they aren't exactly scale in anything other than diameter. 

I have just successfully found a new RR Duke of Gloucester and will enjoy making it look as good as a Brit, I hope....

• Like 1

Actually the two photos above show how little the cab handrails matter in the appearance of the model

Rob, as you know only too well, this is a function of viewing angle and the light. Sometimes the 'rail' looks OK, sometimes it looks like a shelf - particularly from above with lighting from above.

It is what it is and we knew what to expect ahead of time.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

here was a response from a gentleman in another section, upon reading my admission of error re spokesman for Hornby PLC

>>HEAR YE! HEAR YE! HEAR YE!

All is asunder in the fair city of Swindon unless some knight will come to remove this erroneous spoke from our midst!

The very water in the well will turn to oily slush and cheese will become like stone, our fair maidens will grown old and haggard unless this offence is removed!

HEAR YE! HEAR YE!<<

I do not want people to think that my pictures are anything BUT edited...

here is the other, before-and-after.   

post-7929-0-39366100-1389040890.jpg

post-7929-0-86059400-1389040920.jpg

Rob if your work tells me (aside from your skill in photo editing and capturing excellent scenes) it is that Hornby should have simply included a painted piece of wire for the discerning customer to fit on the cabside, and left two holes moulded in. your small edit makes a HUGE difference.

Thankyou, I admit I took the photos in a hurry, so pleased as I was to receive from Hattons what appears to be still quite a rare model.

From the angles I looked at it, the moulded handrails did not stand out, to my eye at least, but I can see how they would jar , when a wire version, (or my painted version),  looks nicer.  ..and they would not have been a very expensive thing to add to assembly costs. I suppose there were lines drawn, decisions made, tooling available/not available, I have no idea exactly but maybe the drilling of the requisite holes in the cab side was left out early in the design stage?

The wire handrail conversion shown a few posts back certainly looks like hard work for most buyers, and does add considerably to the look of the model.  ( post 1269 from Coach Bogie )

Edited by robmcg

My Glastonbury Abbey arrived this morning. Its proved to be a very nice runner indeed, but it wasn't in very good condition when it arrived. Floating in the box was the screw from the tender side of the drawbar, the tender water scoop and one of the tender water standards. When I released the plastic tray off the top of the loco, the chimney and one of the tender tool boxes fell off.

At first I thought it was all just poor gluing, but it wasn't - all of the pieces had been snapped off at their bases - the fixing lugs of each piece were still glued in place in their holes. The tender drawbar screw had fallen out because its housing was split and one side had come away. It looks like the screw had been force tightened during final assembly as the thread in the housing was stripped. 

The loco was well held by its plastic packing shell, so I don't think this was transit damage - the outside of the box is not damaged. My guess is that the person doing the final packaging probably made a mess of it and snapped bits off - they must have been under quite some pressure to meet the Christmas deadline and I suppose their supervisors didn't want to hear about factory damage.

Anyway all was easily fixable, and Hornby can keep their QC batting average intact as I won't be returning it. Its slow speed running is really pretty impressive.

• Like 1

Swindon engines making all that smoke.....Churchward would have the shed forman on the carpet. Maybe it is because the engine is still in mid gear/neutral :mosking:

Outstanding effects

Mike Wiltshire

Isn't it something to do with the quality of the coal. Towards the end of steam the good welsh coal just wasn't so readily available

• RMweb Gold

Isn't it something to do with the quality of the coal. Towards the end of steam the good welsh coal just wasn't so readily available

The last Star was withdrawn 8 years before the end of WR steam.....and there was certainly plenty of it around then.

The loco was well held by its plastic packing shell, so I don't think this was transit damage - the outside of the box is not damaged. My guess is that the person doing the final packaging probably made a mess of it and snapped bits off - they must have been under quite some pressure to meet the Christmas deadline and I suppose their supervisors didn't want to hear about factory damage.

Anyway all was easily fixable, and Hornby can keep their QC batting average intact as I won't be returning it. Its slow speed running is really pretty impressive.

Congratulations for not showing too much angst, and I am mystified as to the damage, wondering if the engine had been subjected to a lot of vibration or , more likely, impact damage from being thrown, as it's my impression that temporary postal and courier workers are often the same people who are rubbish collectors. 

I have had two instances of chimney off and other damage this month.

I just don't see how a chimney off could leave the factory, even if the assembly worker doesn't know a lot about BR steam engines.

edit; actually it does look like seriously incompetent assembly, with the parts broken off with bases still glued, I didn't read your post carefully enough

Edited by robmcg

Swindon engines making all that smoke.....Churchward would have the shed forman on the carpet. Maybe it is because the engine is still in mid gear/neutral :mosking:

Outstanding effects

Mike Wiltshire

Noted.  Thankyou.  For forward gear would the arm be forward?  I do so few GWR engines I rather forgot the niceties of visible valve-gear controls.

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Geoff Davis at Steam Tuesday morning, he had dispatched about 25 orders to Southern Hemisphere customers on Monday. So my star will be rising from the west soon! He had held them as they had missed Christmas posting deadline with the delay in reprinting the certificates. Good job I didn't wait outside Swindon for it, in march SK had indicated that it would be available when I was in the uk last June!

• RMweb Premium

I notice the speedometer bracket is bent inwards somewhat.

I have the same problem with a Bachmann "Hall",  it seems overly flexible and it occasionally catches on the crank-pin causing a lock-up

Keith

Really good Rob, and really like the crew. Do you start with 00 figures on the footplate and work on them or do you layer them in later?  Anyway, great stuff.

I take images of any suitable size and re-size, move limbs,  paint, re-colour, and generally mess around. Sometimes I start with actual model figures too.

Cheers.

Noted.  Thankyou.  For forward gear would the arm be forward?  I do so few GWR engines I rather forgot the niceties of visible valve-gear controls.

Example of Castle in full forward gear

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5268833358/in/set-72157627624236395

and in reverse

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/6646804641/in/set-72157627624236395/

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie