RMweb

Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

... (although I am not how you contact Hornby about it) ...

I contacted Hornby through the website, here http://www.Hornby.com/contact-us/

My replacement wheels arrived very quickly and are now gracing the front end of my star. I have to say that despite the niggles, I will be getting another - the WWI Princess Alice train pack is definitely on my shopping list... but when?  

The nameplates are etched. the whole splasher/nameplate is a separate painted etched brass section that has been slotted in. Turn the model upside down and you can see the locking tab sticking through the running plate. You can push it out to reveal a plain splasher

Mike Wiltshire

I have Knight of the Grand Cross which I think does not come with them. I cannot comment for Swindon's though.

Here is my Star with 4 other GWR locos. This will prove that GWR locos do not look the same.

In Order of appearence, Hornby Saint, Hornby Star, Bachmann Hall, Hornby Grange, Bachmann modified Hall:

post-15098-0-59643700-1391378064_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-69714400-1391378108_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-17988300-1391378141_thumb.jpg

Note, the Hornby Saint, being the oldest by far of the 5 locos, has certain inaccuracies. The smokebox, boiler and firebox proportions should be the same as the other 4 for a start.

I think the Grange and Halls are supposed to have the same tender (Collet 4000 gal?) but the Hornby one is about 1.5 mm less tall than the Bachmann one.

I have Knight of the Grand Cross which I think does not come with them. I cannot comment for Swindon's though.

My two Knights has the separate splasher/name etch. It is just not that obvious until you start altering them. I found out when I needed to shorten the backing plate for Knight Templar, assuming it was plastic and broke a craft knife blade discovering it is metal. Run your fingers over it and you may be able to feel the relief from the etching. Definately not the best quality with the letters soft on the edges.

My Glastonbury Abbey also has the separate etched splasher overlay.

Mike Wiltshire

I think the Grange and Halls are supposed to have the same tender (Collet 4000 gal?) but the Hornby one is about 1.5 mm less tall than the Bachmann one.

It might not be the same tender. There are variations of the Collett tenders and there are example of tender that are a larger veriosn of the type fitted to by Bachmann to the Collet goods. Taller than the small 3,500 gallon types but not as large as the 'standard' 4,000 gallon type we all know.

The top fender of the Hornby Grange has the distinctive curve to horizontal compared to the continuus curve to vertical of the 'standard' 4,000 gallon type. If you go on the site below an look at the line up on picture 4 of 2937. Compare to picture 5 with 2938 with the smaller Bachmann Collett goods type.

http://www.miac.org.uk/saints.html

The bottom of the fender lines up with the base of the cab cutout as per the Hornby Grange. In my opinion they are two different tenders.

This image matches the Hornby model

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16749798@N08/5581840174/

whereas this one doesn't

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1821.htm

Mike Wiltshire

Just had an email to tell me my preordered Knight of the Grand Cross (ordered Jan 2013) "is likely" to appear on or after 14th of June !

Hornby , you really are taking the P#ss now !!!!

Is this a DCC version? Either that or I have to assume your pre-order is with a smaller retailer.

Is this a DCC version? Either that or I have to assume your pre-order is with a smaller retailer.

It's the DCC ready version (first) ordered through Hattons .

A email of complaint to Margate telling them their production stinks methinx !

It's the DCC ready version (first) ordered through Hattons .

A email of complaint to Margate telling them their production stinks methinx !

A letter of complaint to Hattons seems more appropriate.

R3166 was available last year. I don't know why Hattons was unable to fill your order if you placed an order in January 2013.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

A letter of complaint to Hattons seems more appropriate.

R3166 was available last year. I don't know why Hattons was unable to fill your order if you placed an order in January 2013.

Luck of the draw I guess !

Only got my 52xx Oct/Nov and 72xx in late Sept both pre-ordered from same establishment.

Musta ticked someone off there !

Mind you was off out of the blocks on the new Bachy Dukedog !

The nameplates are etched. the whole splasher/nameplate is a separate painted etched brass section that has been slotted in. Turn the model upside down and you can see the locking tab sticking through the running plate. You can push it out to reveal a plain splasher

Mike Wiltshire

I agree, however I,m am used to seeing the name itself being etched in relief. Only the borders are so, the name being simply printed.

I received my Lode Star yesterday.  The model did not look right when I first pulled the sleeve off the box, and it turned out the body was not on the chassis correctly,  The brass press fit nut was pulled out of the body with the screw in it, which assembly should have been holding the whole loco together.  Try as I might, I could not make the body fit onto the chassis.  The inside steam pipes, which are cast into the chassis would not slip by the plastic body.  In the end, I took an Exacto knife to the plastic body, and shaved away a very small amount of plastic.  That did the trick.  I pushed the press fit nut back into the bodywork, and everything fitted together fine.  Other problems with this model include the too-delicate plastic whistles, which were partially broken right out of the box, and broke some more when I was trying to fit the chassis to the body, and the same with one of the water handles on the tender footplate, although it merely came off and I can glue it back again.  Also, the valve gear on one side is slightly out of alignment with the bodywork.  On my layout I briefly ran the loco and it runs fine, although it could only manage three or four of my Hornby teak coaches.  It has no traction tires, and so its wheels slip a good bit.  I am not that impressed with this model from a quality control point of view, although the detail is reasonable. It does cry out for etched nameplates, as all GWR locos do.

Edited by rgmichel

• RMweb Premium

On my layout I briefly ran the loco and it runs fine, although it could only manage three or four of my Hornby teak coaches.  It has no traction tires, and so its wheels slip a good bit. 

Sounds like something wrong.

My "Knight" will easily pull 6 Bachmann Colletts (old ones with plastic wheels - since replaced with metal) including going up some gradients.

Keith

Well the old Hornby teaks are quite heavy.  I have some Colletts and some clerestory coachs.  I will give them a try.  Some of my teaks have plastic wheels, some don't.  Also, my layout has a gradient in it.  I don't think anything is wrong with the chassis, but I do think it needs traction tires.

Edited by rgmichel

• RMweb Premium

It has no traction tires, and so its wheels slip a good bit.  I am not that impressed with this model from a quality control point of view, although the detail is reasonable. It does cry out for etched nameplates, as all GWR locos do.

Have you checked to make sure the bogie is not causing the front driving wheels to be lifted clear of the rails and reducing traction ?

If you can remove the bogie and run the loco as an 0 - 6 - 0, this will highlight or eliminate this as a cause of poor haulage.

A slight tweak to the bogie fixing bracket would resolve matters if this proves to be the problem.

Regards,

John

There have been a few people on this site complaining about haulage power of various RTR locomotives, I wonder how many of them bother to lubricate the bearing surfaces and check the axles are running free on their rolling stock, it does help, driven correctly with a Gaugemaster controller my Star will tow 9 coaches without slipping.

I use a standard set of Hornby teak coaches for this test.  Load Star pulls less than my other locos. I am sure lubrication of coach bearings would allow all locos to pull more.

Edited by rgmichel