Images of Lost London 1875 - 1945

Penlan

Picked up this book in Smiths at Truro (Treliske) Hospital.

No trains, a couple of bridges, BUT the photo's are terrific, the detail on the glossy pages from them, well, have a look sometime when your in a Smith's.

If you like social/street views of former times, go no further than this.

This book is card covered (and apparently abridged), it has 167 pages, approx 300+ photo's mainly around the turn of the century (1900).

Terrific atmosphere and all for £5.99. One of the best value books I've bought in a long time.

Images of Lost London, 1875 - 1945, Atlantic Publishing, ISBN 978-1-909242-04-3, Published in 2012.

And certainly available in Smiths (It's also in Penzance I noticed this morning.

Picked up this book in Smiths at Truro (Treliske) Hospital.

No trains, a couple of bridges, BUT the photo's are terrific, the detail on the glossy pages from them, well, have a look sometime when your in a Smith's.

If you like social/street views of former times, go no further than this.

This book is card covered (and apparently abridged), it has 167 pages, approx 300+ photo's mainly around the turn of the century (1900).

Terrific atmosphere and all for £5.99. One of the best value books I've bought in a long time.

Images of Lost London, 1875 - 1945, Atlantic Publishing, ISBN 978-1-909242-04-3, Published in 2012.

And certainly available in Smiths (It's also in Penzance I noticed this morning.

Hello Penlan,

A good reference. I invested in a copy a week or so back, principally for genealogy information (some of my ancestors lived within a stone's throw of Whitechapel Road), but the modelling information is even better.

PB

Burgundy,

Yes, some photo's are from that collection, I recognise origin of that collection 'The Oxford Arms Galleries' by Boyle.

Away from home at present so can't confirm if all those photo's are in the book, I doubt it though.

Many thanks for that reference to the collection.

PhilJ W, £45, not even on my Christmas List at that price, though I admit the quality of the photo images would be worth it.

I assume (dangerous) they were originally on 'Whole Plate' negatives.

I also bought it a few weeks back, terrific value and some great photos. According to the blurb inside the back cover, the original book is £29.99, and is 368pp and nearly 600 photos, as against 144pp and over 240 photos in this volume. I suspect the £45 hardback is the same book as the £29.99 - which is presumably a softback version.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a copy of the hardback for £17 when it was on a deal when it first came out. Many of the photos are reproduced in other books I have on Victorian and Edwardian London, but the reproduction is of a very high quality. I saw the abridged version in Smiths a couple of weeks ago, and for that price it's a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered it after seeing a reference in another thread.

Fascinating.

Hard to pick any highlights but just at first glance.

The Doric Arch.

Butchers shop with a Christmas display.

Columbia Road Market that I know so well.

Graffiti present in the 1900-1912 period came as rather an eye opener.

The motley collection of East European economic migrants is rather poignant.

No photographs of streets known to have been lived in by the family but at least three that come very close.

Excellent value considering the volume of material it contains.

Bernard

Brilliant Book.

The highlight for me (actually one of many) was the sheer exuberance of poster advertising at the turn of the last century. One building had to have cut outs for the windows, 1905 I think.

My problem is that I don't have a book shelf to fit it (if I left it on the coffee table my dog would eat the spine).............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant Book.

The highlight for me (actually one of many) was the sheer exuberance of poster advertising at the turn of the last century. One building had to have cut outs for the windows, 1905 I think.

My problem is that I don't have a book shelf to fit it (if I left it on the coffee table my dog would eat the spine).............

Best, Pete.

If only it was in colour. Actually computer programmes have been developed which can actually read the 'colour' of a black and white print but like a lot of such technology the cost is horrendous.

If only it was in colour. Actually computer programmes have been developed which can actually read the 'colour' of a black and white print but like a lot of such technology the cost is horrendous.

Agree entirely, but can you elaborate please Phil? I know of chroma-dot recovery which can unpick the electronic colour signal from monochrome TV film, but is there really software that can interpret (prints from) glass negatives made by the collodion wet plate process which was blind to the red spectrum?

• RMweb Premium

That must be what I was thinking of. Experiments have been made by shining different coloured lights through glass negatives and combining the results but it only works on certain types of negative and then only on the negative itself, not on a print.

Archived