Would this Kernow Models 'bargain' be a good start for an O/ 16.5 scratcher?

Chubber

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/33942/30921_Bachmann_Junior_060_Saddle_Tank_in_BR_Lined_Black

Well, I've been thinking about NG for some time....OO/9 or O/16.5?

Comes down to start-up costs, I think I could cobble together a NG loco in O gauge, but starting with an N gauge chassis fills me with trepidation ....to say nothing of the trackwork :O

I wonder what the minimum radius this would negotiate?

Doug

• RMweb Premium

Nice find and at a very reasonable price. This looks to be about the only chassis that hasn't been used yet by Smallbrook Studio for 7mm Narrow Gauge - if you look on this page you will see lots of different loco kits to fit both Hornby and Bachmann mechanisms - perhaps you could get something to fit or ask Michael if he has any plans to use the 0-6-0 as he already does a body for the Bachmann 0-4-0. As it is from the 'Junior' range I would say that it would negotiate set track curves which go down to about 15inch.

http://www.smallbrookstudio.com/page_1201118902437.html

7mm Narrow Gauge Assocoation has a very good book 'Getting Started'

http://7mmnga.org.uk/publications.php

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I've seen that too, Doug, and I keep meaning to go in and ask Chris T how weill it runs at low speed.

Won't get there till after Christmas (when I get to spend from my newly credited account :locomotive: ), if that's any help...

Stu

It's cheap, but no I don't think it would. There are no outside cylinders, and inside-cylinders on NG locos are virtually unknown, as clearly there is so little space between the frames. You can of course add them, perhaps from Hornby spares, but that adds cost and complexity.

If cost is a significant factor I would recommend 009. There is a good range of kits for locos and stock at reasonable prices. If you are happy with diesel locos or steam-locos with tram skirts, the Kato tram chassis or Bachman Plymouth diesel are good runners and around £20 new - check out my blog (link below) for an under-construction loco using a Kato chassis, or the excellent new kit from Narrow Planet. Once you know what to look for there are useful n-gauge steam chassis (such as the Fleischman piccolo) on ebay at reasonable prices. Join the 009 society and you'll not only get discounts with the main suppliers but access the huge range of second-hand sales, for getting started this is especially useful, good (working) loco chassis are usually in stock. Peco make track of course (and soon to make wagons and coaches).

Of course you can scratch-build cheaply in 7mm scale too, but generally the kits are more expensive (there is a lot more material in them!), as is the track. 009 points are around £10-12, O-16.5 around £16 each. Also don't forget the scenic accessories required to complete a layout. In my experience figures, vehicles, and details are much cheaper in 4mm scale.

• RMweb Gold

There are no outside cylinders, and inside-cylinders on NG locos are virtually unknown, as clearly there is so little space between the frames.

<snip>

If you are happy with diesel locos or steam-locos with tram skirts...

Not meaning to argue with your obvious knowledge of narrow gauge modelling, but, if Chubber used the indicated chassis with a body as you suggest, wouldn't that work in O/16.5 ?

Stu

Mt first thoughts were that it would be a possible chassis or modification for a skirted loco, not knowing the size of this chassis would it fit under the Peco GVT kit?

Regarding cost of points, I know that they can be purchased at around £14 each and if you are only building something small,as in my case, 4/6 points the extra cost is not worth worrying about.

Doug - unless it has "blind" centre drivers ie no tread, it may not make it around radius1 curves, but will probably need radius 2 for a minimum. I have an eejit on one of my other groups, trying to post creating hell about a US Bachmann 2-8-0 not going around setrack radius 1 type curves and calling them con-artists, despite having been explained to that the wheelbase is too long

Phew! Lots to think of.....

Foremost in my mind is a recent deterioration of my left eye, I'm struggling with 4mm at the moment, e.g. five attempts to cut out a simple station sign. I'm hoping that I'll be able to 'scenic' better in a larger scale as that is my primary interest.

Thank you for those links, Mike, lots of 'Oohs' and 'Ahs' there, thanks also, MJ for the outside cylinder slant on the problem...I hadn't even considered that [ :scratchhead: ] but tram skirts don't scare me too much, I quite like the idea.

A bit more thinking to do before I float the idea to my domestic environment manager, still, it's good to know there is help/advice available in both scales, and that Chris Trerise at Kernow will give up to 30% discount to modelers over 70 years of age who attend his premises accompanied by both parents in a horse-drawn vehicle...... :sarcastichand:

Doug

Not meaning to argue with your obvious knowledge of narrow gauge modelling, but, if Chubber used the indicated chassis with a body as you suggest, wouldn't that work in O/16.5 ?

Stu

Yes of course! If you are going down the tram skirted loco route, you can get away with any number of wheels, steam or diesel outline! And it's hard to beat as a new chassis at that price. 

• RMweb Premium

Smallbrook studios diesel loco "Cardea"  may be a good starting point, but I could be wrong.

Good point - I hadn't spotted that when I looked at the Smallbrook site as I was looking at the steam locos - it was originally designed for the Hornby Toby Tram chassis - I wonder how that compares in size to the Bachmann loco??

Mike

Mt first thoughts were that it would be a possible chassis or modification for a skirted loco, not knowing the size of this chassis would it fit under the Peco GVT kit?

Regarding cost of points, I know that they can be purchased at around £14 each and if you are only building something small,as in my case, 4/6 points the extra cost is not worth worrying about.

the wheel base is only 45mm so way to small for the GVT kit a beter chassie would be the honrby old ~08 chassie which was used in most of hrnbys 0-6-0

Archived