Plean Station Photo wanted (as rare as hens teeth)

Hugh Flynn

Hi all

I am looking for a photo of Plean station near Stirling in Scotland I have never seen one and always wondered what it was like.

I did take photos of signal box in the 70,s I have searched internet with no luck at all.

This is for sentimental reasons to show my dad as he used to pick the papers from the train then deliver them to homes in the area.

Thanks to you for looking and good luck.

Hugh

Hi all

I am looking for a photo of Plean station near Stirling in Scotland I have never seen one and always wondered what it was like.

I did take photos of signal box in the 70,s I have searched internet with no luck at all.

This is for sentimental reasons to show my dad as he used to pick the papers from the train then deliver them to homes in the area.

Thanks to you for looking and good luck.

Hugh

Photo hopefully attached, acquired as part of my research into the model i have built of Plean, although my model only takes in part of the station northwards passed the yard and sidings.post-2402-0-45400800-1356125803_thumb.jpg

Hi

Just as an update my dad looked at picture and recognised it straight away then started telling me that the main station building was behind the nearest building and the paper boys would wait in a room for the train to drop off the papers then their was the line to the lhs which went to Cowie pit and a line to the rhs which went to plean pit also other side of the bridge (photo end) was a small yard hope I might find a photo of yard one day?

Hugh

Funny how old photographs spark memories, I was stood in a park today for the first time in about 30 years, whilst I remembered the boating lake it looked smaller and i couldn't remember other points of interest - bet if I saw an old photo of it though it would come back like it was yesterday.

Hugh, I'm amazed how little is recorded of Plean station.  Even the usual guaranteed source - RCAHMS - hasn't any photographic records that I could find.  If we keep this bubbling on here though, there may be contributors with better access to archive material than us!

When I get some time I will post some more details I have, there are indeed very few photos of this area as I found out. There is a photo of 60023 passing through the yard and another of 60532 but these are, I suspect copyright, both I think are WAC Smith's photos and have been published. My model is mostly based around Ordnance Survey maps etc. I have y own photos of the signal box before it was extended and then demolished ( all within a year or two) . Will post a couple later, might even post a couple of the layout which I hope would give you some idea.

The first photo is of the signal box which was situated at the North end of the station.

The second view is of the station, facing north and shows the rest of the station not shown in my original posting.

The third shows the line bearing of to the right towards Plean village itself and is referred to, I believe as the Plean Branch. The building is still extant today and is now a nice dwelling. I think, and am open to correction that this was the former station masters house, and can be seen at the end of the station in the second view above. By this time, of course the station has long since disappeared as has now also the branch!

I have also pics of the inside of the signal box, if anyone is interested.

Photos of my model of Plean will follow once I have taken some!

The first two photos are looking North towards Stirling and are taken from (in theory) the road bridge at the north end of the station beside the signal box. On the first pic the line curving off to the right goes to the colliery sidings beside Cowie.

The third pic is in the opposite direction looking towards what would have been the station, long since gone in my period. The old station masters house is just past the signal box. The train is sitting on the Plean Branch, the limitations of space means the main line and to some degree the branch are curved to the left rather than straight on, and in the branche's case going off to the right.

The fourth pic is the box.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, I have always found taking pictures of models quite difficult to get right!

Hi

Thanks guy’s its great when you ask and members help.

photos and layout fantastic never thought anyone would have built a layout of Plean.(any chance of a couple of signal box photos)

Ok the memory bit ,I remember my dad taking me for walks up to watch the steam trains and we would wait for the bells from the signal box with it being close to tracks so I would be about 6-7 years old .Then moved from Cowie to Yorkshire (dad was a miner) I still think it was a government plot to show Yorkshire folk how to be generous (sorry failed on this one) but on the way we looked after their women??

Anyway a couple of photos from late 70,s to early 80,s

Again many thanks

post-7432-0-83495600-1356734997.jpg

post-7432-0-91554400-1356735006.jpg

A few more shots of Plean Junction box, courtesy of Robert Dey:

post-7032-0-01169100-1356899339_thumb.jpg

The frame, in 1994 ... note the draught-excluder carpet over the quadrant plate for the levers working the sidings: presumably more or less disused by this date:

post-7032-0-00845000-1356899347_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-11204800-1356899352_thumb.jpg

and the block instrument to Larbert North:

post-7032-0-70708900-1356899360_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The box has now gone, as you say the transfer to colour lights in this area ended its usefulness. They did, for some reason, extend the box and then within a couple of years demolished it.

I believe it was extended to improve the toilet and messing facilities - carried out at the same time that the 'box structure was given a very thorough 'going over' (which totally ruined its appearance).  This is what it looked like (in closer view) on 15 April 2003 - with the extension on stilts) at the Stirling end plus a new metal staircase -

post-6859-0-67927000-1356915661_thumb.jpg

Archived