RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Well said,James.It takes courage.....yes,the word means guts....to apologise. Now,here's a thought....I wonder if others will take their cue from you and do likewise.Thank you for reminding us of the rules of this website.Either they are unread or there is a kind of collective amnesia abroad. I suggest for "homework",we all read,mark,learn and inwardly digest them. Otherwise,we'll go on taking challenge to unacceptable limits.Pressing a button of any kind does not guarantee anonymity. If we have sincerely held views,can we all agree to debate in civilised manner without causing offence.....please?

=================================================================================================================================================

I agree 100%

• RMweb Gold

The last time Rob had a separate thread for his images, it was removed at Rob's request for various reasons.

Maybe it's worth another try in say 'Model Musings and Miscellany' with a thread for edited images.  Those that don't want them can pass by.

I have to say that in general I like Rob's images.  After all when we buy that loco, or dream of that layout we're building, don't we all dream up images like this in our heads, and Rob is simply turning these into more tangible images?  However, I can understand that some folk don't want to see too many manipulated images in threads which notionally about how a paricular model looks/performs.

If we have a thread on the Hornby P2 we don't need a continuing set of photoshopped pictures however nice or technically advanced they may be. I believe you all may have missed this from Coachmans entry. One or two yes but rafts of them no - could you not start a seperate thread Rob as I am certain they would provide even more enjoyment to all? The thread name would mean that people would be able  to see it at once rather than stumbling across it in this thread.

So the P2.. having seen one (which had a straight chimney) and having seen its fairly hefty pulling powers - has anyone a photo (or photos) of how it comes apart as it seems this can be a little tricky?

I didn't notice the arrangement for the trailing truck - how does that work?

How easy is it to change the motor? 

and... has any one done a spring balance haulage test? Assessing it using a rake of Hornby or Bachmann stock is no good to me - I need it to pull kit built coaches...

Ta for the replies

Info sent by e-mail Barry.

Good news about the main range version being ready for delivery.

Maybe it's worth another try in say 'Model Musings and Miscellany' with a thread for edited images.  Those that don't want them can pass by.

I have to say that in general I like Rob's images.  After all when we buy that loco, or dream of that layout we're building, don't we all dream up images like this in our heads, and Rob is simply turning these into more tangible images?  However, I can understand that some folk don't want to see too many manipulated images in threads which notionally about how a paricular model looks/performs.

====================================================================================================

I don`t mind Rob posting his photos as he dose in threads.

But how about the modellers   photo`s /  photography section .But why should Rob stop posting photos

for the sake of the odd winger . .. 

D.R.M.

Thanks for that .

I have 6B but that just adds to my confusion.

As pointed out by spet0114 the cab cut outs were altered, as were the cab hand rails and seat backs were added at this time.

There appears to be no tablet fittings and appropriate hole in the tender side sheets, so this dates it as prior to going into service in Scotland.

That does tie it down a bit.

Which leaves the question of a date for the wheel rims changing from polished to painted.

Bernard

Looking at the footage of 2001 in the P2 Trust's promotional video, it appears that the tyres were painted by the time the locomotive was sent to France for testing, as were the handrails.

Hi all. Progress report on The Earl.

Most of my limited P2 modelling time has been taken up with removing & making good the area affected by the water heater 'lump' on the side of the boiler, but thats boring & not very forum-genic so here's a pic of where I'm up to with the front end.

15211197205_66f909f8d4_c.jpgDSC02145 by will5210, on Flickr

Removing the higher CotN running plate under the smokebox door was tricky & involved lots of careful scalpel work.

I've since run out of (left the cap off & it evaporated) plastic weld to finish the plasticwork, so I cut down the front fairing & started on the nickel silver deflectors.

The main sheet is 10thou with Mainly Trains rivet strapping along the bottom & .45 brass wire along the top & sides.

15188354396_ed65d6836c_c.jpgDSC02139 by will5210, on Flickr

Here it is compared to the real thing. The curve of the deflector needs a tweak but I'm happy enough for now.

15024645717_84421b9659_c.jpgDSC02153 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers

Edited by will5210
  • Like 9

http://www.Hornby.com/lner-2-8-2-cock-o-the-north-p2-class.html

I've had the stock alert from Hornby

=================================================================================================

I got one as well never even asked about a P2 from Hornby though.

D.R.M.

I was in Monk Bar models, York earlier, and a full range P2 was brought down from the attire room for a quick run on the behind counter test track. It looked gorgeous! Contrary to the Railway Modeller review, the buffers aren't sprung, which is neither a big issue or a surprise.

It was only a quick glimpse, but certainly whet my appetite for when mine arrives at some stage.

Usual non connection disclaimers to the emporium, and I haven't a clue how many they have in or if they are spoken for. They did have the RR version on display though.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

I was in Monk Bar models, York earlier, and a full range P2 was brought down from the attire room for a quick run on the behind counter test track. It looked gorgeous! Contrary to the Railway Modeller review, the buffers aren't sprung, which is neither a big issue or a surprise.

It was only a quick glimpse, but certainly whet my appetite for when mine arrives at some stage.

Usual non connection disclaimers to the emporium, and I haven't a clue how many they have in or if they are spoken for. They did have the RR version on display though.

Cheers

J

Could have been mine James - I bought one from them at about 1520 this afternoon!  Pure indulgence on my part; it has no place on a c1960 layout, but as a lifelong fan of Gresley's big engines I just had to!  And very nice it is, too....

I should have said before, the enhanced version R3207 is the one in my photos with the additional lining and other decoration, and is now in stock at www.digitrains.co.uk  at £114.40, ZIMO P2 sound decoder at £85.

KInd regards,

Paul

Not any more they haven't!  I've just bought the last one.  I went into KS Models earlier. He had just had a delivery from Hornby with six Cocks of the North to divide amongst 12 pre-orders, and said he wouldn't be getting any more.

Anyway I have broken all my loco-buying rules

It isn't weathered

more than a hundred pounds

bought without seeing it let alone test run

and of course completely out of period.  Perhaps Thompson didn't happen and Peppercorn had it restored to original spec and preserved it. The P2's would have been useful loco's during the war.

Ed

• Like 2

Top marks to Hornby for choosing to produce a model that seems to have made many of us impulse-buy, breaking our loco selection rules in the process. Lots of Hornby models in the shops now. RRP being charged by box shifters for main range Cock o' the North. Retailers and Hornby's cashflow must be looking healthier. Good news! Long may it continue.

Has anyone had an email from Hattons about the Higher detail P2? I haven't yet.

I've not heard anything yet either.

Are you worried you are going to end up in the same boat as Hitler?

I contacted Hattons on Thursday.

But the person I spoke to couldn't tell me if my pre-order would be fullfilled this week.

In fact I got the impression they were unsure if they would be getting any stock this week.

Just out of interest, when did you place your pre-order?

Mine was placed in May 2013.

• Like 2

I've not heard anything yet either.

Are you worried you are going to end up in the same boat as Hitler?

I contacted Hattons on Thursday.

But the person I spoke to couldn't tell me if my pre-order would be fullfilled this week.

In fact I got the impression they were unsure if they would be getting any stock this week.

Just out of interest, when did you place your pre-order?

Mine was placed in May 2013.

Not sure exactly when I pre-ordered but it was quite soon after the initial announcment. To be honest I'm pleased to have a little extra time as it'll be a bit easier on the wallet, but I wanted to make sure they hadn't forgotten me!

Sorry I just had to...

Disclaimer: Any mention of known retailers is purely in jest.

@Coldgunner 

I've seen this clip with subtitles 3 times before in different iterations but this was the only one that had tears rolling down my cheeks - Thanks for sharing

I'll never look at eBay quite the same way again!

Peter

• Like 4