Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dream layouts

Julia

Several entirely fictional stations :)

London Olympia (My own place to run almost everything from the book 'Locos that Never Were' when i get around to building them :S

Arthurtown (My 0N30 mineral railroad terminus)

Long City (Somewhere to run protoypical length american 'HO' sutff. Big Boys, Cab Forwards and such)

I must confess a desire to build myself a 'Thomas' layout in the future as well :)

And a few others....

Amazingly, none of these plans bear any resemblance to anythign that I am actually doing :) 

Well I'd need to have my own castle/stately home and first priority would be a concert hall and recording studio but in the model railways wing, what stations ?

1. Bournemouth Central as it's where I spent many happy summer (and winter) days in the last 5 years of steam. Massive, constant movement and interesting mix of locos and trains.

2 Shoreham-by-Sea. It's where I was born. There was main line and branch line steam. Early Southern electrics plus the harbour, the airport and 3 interesting bus companies. I guess that's why I grew up liking transport3 Weybridge to watch the Bulleids hurtling through full tilt

4 Brentwood - where my grandparents lived - in the steam/diesel/electrioc crossover period

5 Ddaullt - I worked there as a volunteer during the summer holidays when I was in 6th form. It was the terminus then.

You see I model what I remember.

I'd have either Sydney's Central Station, made so it is era interchangeable between the steam days and now, or York (including the NRM) as it is now.

If anybody has a large hall I'd be willing to negotiate...

Ludgershall GWR/MSWJR 1923-1940, with No compression in space.

The Q

currently modelling .... er still working on the building the shed for....

Ludgershall GWR/MSWJR 1923-1940, with No compression in space ( 54 ft X 12 ft).

The Q

• 11 months later...

For me - either a single track narrow gauge trundling through stunning landscape that can be made night time or day and include lights + smoke generators.

Or; A Dockside standard gauge with lights and smoke with the capability to go night or day time

Or; a MPD of late steam early diesel era.

In that order, best top down to bottom :)

J.

London Marylebone circa 1922-25. 

Why?  The locale because it gives me the excuse to build and run pretty much all of the major classes of GCR locomotive built from 1902 onward, and the period because I can run a full gamut of liveries from GCR brunswick green through the transitional GCR-LNER liveries into early LNER livery proper. 

either Leeds in the early 1990s or Birmingham New Street in 2007ish or KGX now. I grew up in Leeds, went to uni in B'ham and am doing my 2nd degree in London but my fiancee lives in Coventry and we still meet in the West Midlands area. Thus all of those stations are stations I frequently use. St Pancras is perhaps the prettiest station I've ever seen though and thus that would probably be top of the list. It's right next to KGX and has trains to Leeds so still counts  :blum:

I love the design of Leamington Spa as well but operationally would be a little boring.  

I'm not sure it would be my absolute dream lay-out, but as a project...

Shrewsbury station, early 20th century, heading South-east. The main station is built partly across the River Severn rigth next to the castle. Then there's a big junction with a massive signal box, followed by the Abbey church, and then the terminus for Col Stephen's line into mid-Wales (the Potts line). It would also include a bit of Gay Meadow, home of Shrewsbury Town FC from 1910. During WWI the football ground was turned into a rifle range, which would be an unusual cameo scene.

I really don't know how you could build all that and make it operational and be able to reach into the middle to poke an engine if it got stuck on the pointwork. Even in N gauge.

• RMweb Premium

I'm building a representation of Prestatyn in N gauge at the moment but would love to be able to do a more accurate model in 4mm or even 7mm, and include the branchline to Dyserth; N gauge is a useful compromise as I can run proper length trains and capture the 'feel' of the area, but I just don't have the dexterity to do justice to all the little details that 'make' the station what it was for me in the '70's, and nowhere near the space to include the scenery around it...! 

David

• RMweb Premium

Bangor station with engine shed and goods yard, North Wales.

See the section Bangor Yard now and then - report by Jim Johnson on:

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1109b.htm

In 1976, I bought two 4" to the mile Ordnance Survey maps.

Scaled down to N gauge, we may have been able to squeeze it into our sitting room (max 11ftx12ft) had the stairs and fireplace not been in the way and we would have had to push through to our kitchen in one direction and into nextdoor, in the other to gain fiddleyards beyond the tunnels.

We did see one magnificent Bangor Station (00) in someone's loft but I don't think he did the complete landscape.

Reading station in the early 90s (including the triangle).

The variety of traffic, 31s, 37s, 47s, 56s, 60s, HSTs, 101s, 121s, 117s, Turbos, Thumpers, EMUs and the occasional 158 and steam special. Also it's the time when I spent many an afternoon at the end of the old platform 5 watching the comings and goings at the west end of the station. Bliss.

Operationally, it would be quite good fun too, with all the sidings and depot to the west, and the triangle.

• RMweb Gold

I would rule out quite a lot of stations on the grounds that they are in cuttings and don't show off the trains to the best advantage.

Hellifield would certainly appeal as does Llandudno Junction (preferably with the branch to Llandudno as well) or Rhyl. And since money no object, it would have to be in 7mm scale.

Liskaerd in the 50s.

not a very big station itself but I'd also model both viaducts, the Looe branch terminus, the loop back under the Liskeard Viaduct down to Coombe and up to the shed on the other side of Moorswater, so there would be quite a bit of scenery (what? you said no space limit!)

also, I could operate it all quite comfortably by myself, otherwise it would be Paddington. :D

edit: re above post: well Liskaerd is in a cutting but the viaducts will show off the trains nicely :)

• RMweb Premium

Bangor station with engine shed and goods yard, North Wales.

See the section Bangor Yard now and then - report by Jim Johnson on:

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1109b.htm

In 1976, I bought two 4" to the mile Ordnance Survey maps.

Scaled down to N gauge, we may have been able to squeeze it into our sitting room (max 11ftx12ft) had the stairs and fireplace not been in the way and we would have had to push through to our kitchen in one direction and into nextdoor, in the other to gain fiddleyards beyond the tunnels.

We did see one magnificent Bangor Station (00) in someone's loft but I don't think he did the complete landscape.

Bangor certainly does lend itself to modelling with the two tunnel entrances/exits and was a consideration for me at one time; I could compress the length, but couldn't scale down the width in my available space without losing most of the yard which seemed a bit pointless (sorry!).  As with a lot of these stations, they really did expand away from the mainline so modelling them properly needs a completely different approach!

Now, if Pete Waterman gets bored and starts looking for a side project... :jester:

David

I would just like a long (around 150ft!) stretch of generic 7mm scale main line with two goods loops passing through some idyllic countryside with a river or two & non era specific. And then lots & lots of steam locos from the start of railway time, through the big 4 era, then BR steam, through to green then blue diesels right through to sectorisation & early privatisation. All sound equipped with smoke generators for the steamers (& maybe for some clag from the diesels as they pull out of the loops!), & of course a rather large amount of passenger & freight rolling stock for them to haul! So a rather large acreage of fiddle yards too! And then I can just sit back & watch my favourite trains roll through the countryside all day!

And then upstairs a P4 model of Swansea High Street complete with fishdock road, carriage sidings & main line out to Landore shed, blue diesel era....!!

Right I'm off to buy my Euromillions ticket!

For my dream layout to be based on a real station it would have to be based on one of the following:

Sheffield

(The current Midland one) I know the station like the back of my hand having worked there in the past and passed through it on many occasions.

Penzance

Spent time on the station during family holidays down in Cornwall and mainly for the scenery, great views looking out to sea as the train arrives/departs from the station.

London St. Pancras

Architectually, seeing a model of the station building & hotel would be great. Imagine trying to build all that cathedral - esque spires and towers in any scale! The modelled station would be set in the present day with all of Eurostars, HST's, Meridian units & the domestic High-Speed units that serve Kent arriving and departing.

Plus I would have to model all the new shopping arcade and the Eurostar check in desks for up to date accuracy & the thousands of passengers that use the station!

Sam

• RMweb Premium

Bangor certainly does lend itself to modelling with the two tunnel entrances/exits and was a consideration for me at one time; I could compress the length, but couldn't scale down the width in my available space without losing most of the yard which seemed a bit pointless (sorry!).  As with a lot of these stations, they really did expand away from the mainline so modelling them properly needs a completely different approach!

Now, if Pete Waterman gets bored and starts looking for a side project... :jester:

David

with help from us, two, of course....  :D

• RMweb Premium

Doncaster between the North and Hexthorpe Bridges and part of the plant too :) circa 1980

Not quite the same period but a friend of mine is doing Doncaster dead to scale in a 54' loft, in EM, set in the early 1970s. I am helping out on the track building, which has just started.

The scenic section is around 40' long and 5' 6" wide, from Platform 1 to the front of the "plant" offices.

Tony

The whole of the old central division of the North Eastern in 4mm scale modelled in it's totality circa 1910.Just think of all those mines,bridges,shipyards,docks,steelworks and rolling stock you'd  have to make.Fantastic.

What is more it's so more practical than modelling Newcastle,admittedly you'd get to build some pretty good bridges but all those diamond crossings would be a nightmare! It just wouldn't be practical.

For me, it would have to be Durham on the ECML in the 1950s/60s steam/diesel transition era including the viaduct over the town and the castle and cathedral in the background. Mind, you'd need a barn or aircraft hanger to put it all in.

Regards,

Archived