Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dream layouts

Julia

• RMweb Premium

Lickey Incline in 7mm scale with sound & smoke generators.

Well OK, perhaps compressed a little, but modelled in different eras with a large number of storage loops, would provide a large variety of trains & bankers going flat out, or creeping down.

Even a Peak, getting away from a 20 mph restriction at the foot sounded cool (the only time I've travelled up the bank).

Exeter St Davids around the 1860s/70s. Bristol and Exeter Rly broad gauge trains from the north, South Devon BG from the south, North Devon broad gauge from Bideford, and some narrow gauge L&SWR from Queen Street and Bideford.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly Hellifield, pre World War 1, or perhaps Nottingham Midland.

Alternatively Nottingham Victoria, but I'm not sure of the time period to choose - perhaps I'd need three sets of stock, GCR, LNER and BR.

• RMweb Premium

Possibly Hellifield, pre World War 1, or perhaps Nottingham Midland.

Alternatively Nottingham Victoria, but I'm not sure of the time period to choose - perhaps I'd need three sets of stock, GCR, LNER and BR.

Stick to Hellified and include the carriage shed and the L & Y shed.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Leeds - all main line stations c 1952 in 4mm

Hinton (C&O) as you can run big coal trains with huge H-8 Allegheny 2-6-6-6 pulling them 

(then I find out a guy is building a model already!! but all the research is available)

• RMweb Gold

Dumbarton East to Dalreoch Junction in the 50's in 4mm for me.  2 goods yards, 3 stations, a loco depot, industrial sidings, great railway and local architecture, the bridge over the Leven, West Highland trains, ex CR/LMS and NB/LNE suburban traffic and the opportunity for some very social building and operating.

For me it would have to be Fareham. Lines radiating to Portsmouth, Gosport, Southampton, Funtley tunnel avoiding line and Eastleigh / Meon Valley line. A fairly large goods handling facility based around the end of steam with green diesels on the scene. It would have to be based on the days when the Portsmouth or Southampton to London lines where closed of course for even more excuses to run whatever I liked.

Why? Simple really, I used to live there as a young boy.

This is quite a difficult one to answer, because I've never seriously considered modelling a real location as I don't feel my skills are up to it. But if we are assuming a huge improvement in my ability and/or the money to pay someone else to do the stuff I can't (as well as plenty of time and space), then my former home city of Ely would be high on the list.  

Wow, lots of great responses I think to add my own personal view to this, one station I would really like to see modeled is Dover Marine, I think not only is it an interesting station, but it has a considerable historical significance for the Nation.

A bit further afield I think Jenbach in Austria would be an interesting model to build. 

J

If it has to be a station then another vote for Exeter Central.

However as I like watching shunting then Exmouth Junction Up yard would be a choice,

apparently my parents would take me for a walk around there in my pram, I still love the sound of clanging buffers.

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Leicester Central 1912. Nearly happened but the negotiations for the space needed didn't quite come off!

Just look at "William Bradshaw - Leicester Railway Cameraman" to see why. Lots of activity. Terminating trains, loco changes and even a bit of GWR thrown in. Some of the Dean singles even appeared there in their last years.

Still, 10 layouts ought to be enough!

For now.......

• RMweb Gold

Wow, lots of great responses I think to add my own personal view to this, one station I would really like to see modeled is Dover Marine, I think not only is it an interesting station, but it has a considerable historical significance for the Nation.

A bit further afield I think Jenbach in Austria would be an interesting model to build. 

J

Marine would be interesting in any era. I like the BBC film there in 1978 for the final episode of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, which shows it at its least loved, perhaps. Passengers crossing the tracks with their luggage. Jenbach is a good choice, too, with both Achenseebahn and Zillertalbahn to contrast with OBB. I haven't been there in more than 40 years, sadly, but found that the standard gauge kind of added a time-conscious contrast to the delicious narrow-gauge steam operations.

• RMweb Premium

I'd go for Hellifield on the Leeds-Morecambe line, sometime in the mid 50s - early 60s.

Why? It has strong links to the S&C, which I'm currently modelling.

Before being allowed to "run down", the station buildings were quite spectacular.

There is plenty of scope for extensive mainline, branch and goods operations.

I used to pass through, on a frequent basis, travelling from uni (Leeds) to Carnforth en route to home (Barrow).

Massive range of loco power, incl. DMUs, green diesel and tons of steam.

Jeff

No restrictions on anything? How about the entire Minehead branch from junction to termi in 00 and a G gauge Snowdon Mountian Railway in the garden. Might need a lot of soil and stone to represent Snowdon........

Archived