LB&SCR coaches

My 9-year-old son (with help from him mum) gave me a Hornby OO Terrier in LBSCR livery for Christmas. This is a great-looking loco & runs well, but I don't really have any rolling stock for it other than some Southern Railway 4-wheel coaches (also have a few Midland and S&DJR 4w coaches).  Does anyone know if it's possible to find any LBSCR coaches from current model shops?  I've searched online & can't find any -- or maybe I should simply run it as a good train?

Thanks!

Rob

There are no ready to run LBSCR coaches out there unfortunately.

http://www.lbscr.org/models/4mm.html - this is a pretty comprehensive list of LBSCR items that are or have been available (mainly kits). The chap who runs the site, Dave Searle, helped me source a loco that I was after (probably around 10 years ago) and I'm sure could help you if you had any questions about the list.

Many Terriers are preserved and so can be seen hauling Maunsells (provided by Hornby) on the Bluebell Railway and Kent and East Sussex, or generally Mk1s elsewhere. They are generally restricted to trains of 2 Mk1s or lighter.

My layout at the moment tends to run on the 'My Layout, My Rules' ethos with trains made up in formations commonly seen in preservation. I will therefore run my LBSCR liveried Terriers with a couple of Hornby's Olive Green Maunsells.

I hope this is useful to you!

Rob

I am afraid that you may find yourself on a slippery slope!

As Torn-on-the-platform has said, there is nothing available RTR, which leads you down the path into kits. The obvious vehicles to go with a Terrier in the Stroudley livery would be some Stroudley 4 wheel coaches, for which there are a number of options.

Roxey mouldings do some very nice etched brass models

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/category/31/4mm-scale-lbscr-stroudley-coaches/

K's whitemetal coaches are often available on e-bay although you may want to do a little bit of work to them. My thread at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59091-butchering-k’s-stroudley-4-wheelers/

describes my own efforts, although you might not want to bother with quite such a complete rebuild. However, I would suggest dumping the cast whitemetal roof and replacing with something lighter and remounting the wheels so that they sit perpendicular to the sides.

The third option is Smallbrook Studio

http://www.smallbrookstudio.com/page_1201119033296.html

who produce the same vehicles in resin.

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Gold

Yes, there were still plenty of 4-wheel coaches around when the Terriers were built. But by the turn of the Century, the LBSCR was getting into much more modern ideas, with the carriage superintendent, A H Panter, building swish bogie sets for the main line services. By the time the Southern Railway was formed in 1923, I'm not sure 4-wheelers were in much regular use, on the mainland at least.

Face it - if you want to have affordable fun, the Hornby 4-wheelers are probably the best bet. If you hanker after something more "credible" then the suggestions already made are a much better bet. You aren't the first modeller to have that dilemma, and you won't be the last, either.

I agree with Ian, as usual! A few Stroudley coaches have survived into preservation, but most are/will be on modified van underframes with the body having survived as part of a house or a garden shed.

My knowledge of terriers in their earlier years is a bit weak but I can't see why the would not have been employed on freight duties. I remember reading somewhere that their success on suburban trains into London was their own downfall for that particular traffic as demand increased and trains grew to long for them. and the fact that so many survived into BR ownership shows that they must have found other duties! I believe their main purpose from this time on was auto-train working and shunting but I couldn't rule out freight traffic. (Other companies purchased them too, including the SECR, GWR and private companies)

I always used to run my terriers with the 4-wheel Hornby coaches, exactly the same as yours. I still have 4 of them as I highly doubt that I could get enough for them to be worth the time and effort put into trying to sell them! But yes, unless you want to throw yourself into kit building and amassing stock for an LBSCR layout, these would be the way to go for now. Old Hornby LBSCR brake vans will appear on eBay from time to time as well.

Out of interest, which terrier is it that your son got you?

Rob

As others have said, it all depends on how picky you want to be. You say that it is in LB&SCR livery; does that mean the version with a name and the Improved Engine Green (yellow to most people), or umber with LBSC on the tanks? If the former, then you are looking at a livery that was discontinued in 1905 - and then resurrected in the preservation era (in which case, pretty much anything goes). If the latter, then it was in use from 1905 to 1923 and bogie coaches would be appropriate. In either case, if you want a "correct" livery, it should mean a respray to produce mahogany/brown vehicles.

I am sure that Terriers could have been seen on goods trains (although there are very few such photos other than Fenchurch at Newhaven Harbour): and I believe that they were also used on mixed trains on the Hayling Island branch.

Best wishes

Eric

Alternately you could "sell" the Terrier to a light railway and pull anything you like!  :lol: A lot of 4 wheelers from a variety of lines were used by Col. Stephens on his various lines. That's what I have in mind for mine.

Cheers,

David

Stepney is in 'Improved Engine Green' (looks like mustard yellow to me!).

The Hornby coach is 'generic' and too short - most 4 wheel coaches had four or five compartments. (I gather the S&DJR did have some similar 3 compartment coaches though.)(It's also single class, as all the compartments are the same size.)

The K's kits are probably difficult to find in Canada - they're quite rare here - and in any case are rather heavy and possibly beyond the haulage capabilities of the Hornby model - they were intended for K's own Terrier in white metal.

I'll probably run it as a goods train for now, or possibly with the SR olive green coaches (even though that's not accurate).  I'll give some thought to the kits.  Or maybe I could paint & modify some of my existing coaches -- that might be the best option?  I always thought that the LBSCR was fairly popular, so I'm surprised so little is available.  I know that one guy, here in the Toronto area, has an LBSCR layout but it's S gauge!   Still, he might have some ideas.

Most R-T-R seems to be geared to the post WW II period or at least post 1930. A lot of what appears to be earlier is, in fact, as preserved. Probably your best bet is to treat your loco as a preserved loco, in which case olive green coaches would be fine. An alternative is to treat her as 'sold out of service' as an industrial loco.

This is my excuse for running the GWR 0-4-0T no. 101, which was scrapped in 1911. I'm still undecided about the CR 0-4-0ST. She looks smart in blue, but I doubt these engines ever wore this livery.

The  Ratio  Midland  Railway  short  bogie  carriages  are  passable  for  Brightons.

These  are  a  plastic  kit  and  are  lightweight.

Painted  into  LBSC  colours  they  would  look  better  than  the  Hornby  4  wheelers.

3  off  these  would  make  a  realistic  train.

Pete

The  Ratio  Midland  Railway  short  bogie  carriages  are  passable  for  Brightons.

These  are  a  plastic  kit  and  are  lightweight.

Painted  into  LBSC  colours  they  would  look  better  than  the  Hornby  4  wheelers.

3  off  these  would  make  a  realistic  train.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. I might consider this. Hope they're not too difficult to find or too expensive?

RobPresumably it looks something like thishttp://www.semgonline.com/steam/a1x_08.html- your local example of Stroudley's Improved Engine Green.Best wishesEric

Thanks, Eric. Yes, I actually saw Waddon in 2010! During a trip to the east coast we stopped at Exporail and I had a really good view of Dominion of Canada (as per my avatar) as well as Waddon. However, Waddon appears more brown/orange while Earlswoods looks more mustard yellow.

Do you think this Liliput MR coach is suitable?

Not if you want to be at all accurate. Apart from being of a Prussian prototype, it's also too small (HO) and fitted with a clerestory which the Brighton only had on its Pullmans. The Terriers were really small engines and were visually overpowered by bogie coaches, including the LBSC's own 'Balloon' autocoaches.

Not if you want to be at all accurate. Apart from being of a Prussian prototype, it's also too small (HO) and fitted with a clerestory which the Brighton only had on its Pullmans. The Terriers were really small engines and were visually overpowered by bogie coaches, including the LBSC's own 'Balloon' autocoaches.

Thanks!  I also have several 4w coaches in my collection -- I think I'll use those for now.  The most appropriate ones probably have MR livery.  I might post pics of some of these later as well.  Cheers, Rob

Archived