Hornby's GWR Shunter Truck

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

This is really in response to Buffalo's comment on the locked topic.

Not sure about the Gloucester one, though, it doesn't appear in any lists I've seen.

I wonder what Hornby's basis is then? Presumably the OYD after Gloucester is "Old Yard"?

• RMweb Gold

That looks like the original Hornby catalogue illustration so it might not, hopefully, confirm what colour it is (but if it is grey it is wrong; all the Reading ones were very definitely black)

My Acton version just arrived from Hatton's. Although I've not taken it out of the box yet, it looks good to me. The brake levers appear to be separate mouldings, so shouldn't be much effort a] to move them to 'off,' and b] for Hornby to ensure future versions have them set to 'off' in the factory.

In  Lord & Butler in Cardiff this morning as they took delivery of the BR version. They are weathering them if required - I've asked for mine to be really grotty; should be ready at the beginning of next week.

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

In  Lord & Butler in Cardiff this morning as they took delivery of the BR version. They are weathering them if required - I've asked for mine to be really grotty; should be ready at the beginning of next week.

Regards,

Dave

What colour are they Dave - did you get a chance to see?

What colour are they Dave - did you get a chance to see?

Sorry Mike, four parcels from Hornby were coming in through the door as I was leaving - I will be collecting my weathered version the middle of next week and will post a picture,

Regards,

Dave

That looks like the original Hornby catalogue illustration so it might not, hopefully, confirm what colour it is (but if it is grey it is wrong; all the Reading ones were very definitely black)

Hi Mike,

Kernow have received all there versions, and the Reading version (the GWR version) is Grey and not Black:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/39560/R6643_Hornby_Shunters_Truck_number_DW94955_BR_Grey_

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Kernow have received all there versions, and the Reading version (the GWR version) is Grey and not Black:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/39560/R6643_Hornby_Shunters_Truck_number_DW94955_BR_Grey_

Simon

Thanks Simon - yes I found that earlier this evening on the Kernow newsletter.  I have a pre-order in for one mainly for sentimental reasons and I will stick with it but it's great shame that having produced what looks like a reasonable job (even with the brakes 'on') Hornby couldn't have got a basic detail like that correct.  But not to worry too much as the Bachmann ones in BR livery should be in black if my conversation with them at Ally Pally was duly heeded.

• RMweb Premium

I can't resist adding some photos to the thread.....

I have taken a bit of a summer off from modelling, hence why there has been no posting about progress with Wharncliffe for a while. But when the Summer newsletter came through from Hattons, I could not resist. (Working on the basis that when the Bachmann one comes out, I might not be quick enough!!)

First the plug for Hattons - the newsletter came through on Thursday.... I ordered it on Saturday, with their standard delivery of £4... received an email to say it had been packed yesterday (Sunday). At 8am I received a text to say ot would be delivered today and at about 10am a courier pulled up outside work, with my parcel - wow! Terrific service from Hattons thank you.

Ok now the Hornby review:

Like a lot of people on here, I too have been critical of Hornby of late, due to all the recent issues. But this model is terrific.

Ok so I know the brake handle is in the wrong position, but I reckon it will be easy enough to change that. then I might go further and make it a bit scruffy and I reckon that will be all the work needed to have a cracking little model. But don't take my word for it, have a look at the photos:

This is almost full-size. The only adjustment in photoshop has been to change the brightness / sharpness etc. No other adjustments have been made.

post-6981-0-76106500-1375125485.jpg

post-6981-0-85540000-1375125653_thumb.jpg

post-6981-0-47165100-1375125652_thumb.jpg

Now if they can make a model as good as this for £9...... 

I was originally thinking about giving it pick-ups to connect onto the 57xx, but there is not much room!

post-6981-0-33824300-1375125639_thumb.jpg

post-6981-0-48626500-1375125659_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal

I assume you have somewhere to leave it park up out of the way on your layout or are you going to mangle :butcher:  the brake handles into the off position. :jester:

They are nice photo's but I won't be in a hurry to get one I've spotted more things on it I would not be happy with.

Thanks for posting.

i will be changing the Mortons brake handle. 

Whilst some of the photos show the handrails not exactly straight, by the time you look at the actual model (smallest photo), they pale into insignificance. (in my mind)

Ok I agree it forces me to change a few things, but I am happy with that. I will change the brake handle and weather it, to tone down the very white handrails.

It will look fine, behind a 57xx pottering around Wharncliffe when finished!

I received my two GWR Shunter trucks from Hattons today. Although I have said I have some moans with the Hornby version, I have got to say that despite this they do radiate charm. I still keep thinking I am holding a Cambrian version and not a RTR version!! Briefly pushed one up and down the track this evening and they run very smoothly. Which diagram has Hornby gone with for their Shunter truck by the way? Also, am I right in saying that this is the smallest wagon on the RTR market at the moment in time?

Garethp8873.

Collected my weathered BR Shunters Truck from Lord & Butler this morning. They offer various degrees of weathering - I asked for mine to be grotty:

post-7048-0-09473400-1375181251.jpg

post-7048-0-40687200-1375181251.jpg

post-7048-0-75172800-1375181251.jpg

and one with the obligatory pannier

post-7048-0-13583900-1375181252.jpg

L & B charge £13.95 for the weathered version.

Usual caveat,

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Dave - and it raises an interesting question - do you put the shunters truck in front of the loco or behind it?  (Sorry that is actually a rhetorical question, but it could be fun seeing how the answers are arrived at ;) .)

It would definitely look better with close coupling as well.

I have just received my pair of shunters trucks from Modelrailwaysdirect. The BR version is definitely dark grey (darker than the GWR version) and not black.

I was very pleased to see that Hornby have weighted the truck so it is much heavier than it looks. As such there should be no danger of it derailing when being pushed.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Dave - and it raises an interesting question - do you put the shunters truck in front of the loco or behind it?  (Sorry that is actually a rhetorical question, but it could be fun seeing how the answers are arrived at ;) .)

It would definitely look better with close coupling as well.

All right. I'll have a go! Pure guesswork as I'm not familiar with how the little beasties were used.

I'd put it in front of the loco because placing a low wagon between it and the wagons being shunted would improve visibility for the driver in that direction (the view which is obstructed by the tanks). Tin hat now on!

Definitely agree about the close coupling.

John

All right. I'll have a go! Pure guesswork as I'm not familiar with how the little beasties were used.

I'd put it in front of the loco because placing a low wagon between it and the wagons being shunted would improve visibility for the driver in that direction (the view which is obstructed by the tanks). Tin hat now on!

John

John,

The DVD is a "B & R Ultimate Archive Steam Series Vol 160 - Steam in Wales and the Borders Part 3". shows a shunters truck at Pontypool Road at 38' 55" coupled behind the loco; that accords with a 55 year old memory of mine!

The one I've purchased will be left like a poor lost orphan at the end of a siding since a station the size of Danemouth wouldn't need one - I may well remove the couplings,

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

John

That represents the ideal I reckon John - most engines, including diesel shunters as it happens, were more comfortable to drive for shunting with the chimney/front end towards what was being shunted.  If they were cab end leading the Driver would be spending time part twisting round to watch the Shunters.  Now as the Shunters, or one of them, might well ride on the truck for some of the time while shunting it made it better for the dDriver to have the Shunters' truck ahead of the loco and between it and what it was shunting.  

All well and good in yards which had separate Up & Down pilots but could get a bit awkward if the single pilot had to shunt in both directions at some time or other.

Edit to correct typo

Archived