Hornby's GWR Shunter Truck

Garethp8873

Hornby have announced another interesting wagon to the 2013 range; the GWR Shunter truck. There are four coming out, two GWR (Acton and Gloucester) and two BR (Reading Central and Park Royal)

GWR version

http://Hornby.co.uk/shop/2013-range/wagons/r6642a-gwr-shunters-truck-gloucester/

BR version

http://Hornby.co.uk/shop/2013-range/wagons/r6643-br-shunters-truck-reading-central/

I do hope that the model version will possess the same charm that the prototypes have. Having seen SVR's 41736 and Didcot's 100377 these are one of my favourite wagons. However is it me or is one of the numbers on one of the two GWR Shunter trucks wrong? For the GWR version you have GWR Gloucester 41886 and GWR Acton 40148. From what I know, shouldn't it be 41048 rather than 40148?

Garethp8873.

You could well be right. Atkins et al. mention 41048 at Acton and there's no trace of any 40xxx numbers in their diagram list for M4 or any other M diagrams.

Nick

I noticed this myself when looking at the excellent article GWR Shunters Trucks by Steve Daly on the gwr website and again I haven't seen a number 40148. I just hope that Hornby have noticed this error and will rectify it before decoration goes on.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about the numbers without checking but I'm more concerned to see the inaccurate livery on the BR version.  While they might have been grey at one time in BR ownership they were latterly painted in the standard colour for departmental wagons, i.e. black and they were lettered in yellow.  I must admit that it's almost 45 years since I last stood next to one in a yard (Reading West Jcn) but it was definitely black with yellow lettering and so were others I can recall seeing around then or a few years earlier.

I don't know about the numbers without checking but I'm more concerned to see the inaccurate livery on the BR version.  While they might have been grey at one time in BR ownership they were latterly painted in the standard colour for departmental wagons, i.e. black and they were lettered in yellow.  I must admit that it's almost 45 years since I last stood next to one in a yard (Reading West Jcn) but it was definitely black with yellow lettering and so were others I can recall seeing around then or a few years earlier.

Perhaps that will be a future livery option for Hornby, I can't believe they would make a new tooling just for two livery variants! The old Severn Tunnel Junction model was one of my first wagons thirty-odd years ago so it is great for me to finally have access to a more realistic ready to run model. Having said that I have just bought a Cambrian kit one to build in the meantime to see if I can do as well as Hornby!

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps that will be a future livery option for Hornby, I can't believe they would make a new tooling just for two livery variants! The old Severn Tunnel Junction model was one of my first wagons thirty-odd years ago so it is great for me to finally have access to a more realistic ready to run model. Having said that I have just bought a Cambrian kit one to build in the meantime to see if I can do as well as Hornby!

Having done a bit of delving on the web one site I have found (the only one!) quotes the BR livery for departmental wagons as black with yellow lettering - although possibly some might have appeared with white lettering on black as did some other departmental wagons.

And someone on the Hornby 2013 thread said I hope teh toolbox won't be too difficult to get off in order to re-letter it.

• RMweb Gold

On the basis of Hornby not doing the black Trout because they can't find a picture, presumably they do have a pic of this shunter's wagon?

IIRC last year there was hot debate about one of the Castle options and Hornby produced photographic evidence.

• RMweb Gold

On the basis of Hornby not doing the black Trout because they can't find a picture, presumably they do have a pic of this shunter's wagon?

IIRC last year there was hot debate about one of the Castle options and Hornby produced photographic evidence.

There are indeed pictures (on the 'net) of GWR shunters trucks in a grey BR livery - only problem is that they are preserved vehicles which have very clearly been repainted in preservation, and in at least one case do not carry the 'OD' branding.  Equally there is a picture on the 'net of one in black BR livery but with white lettering and which might be authentic as it is branded 'OD' and the letters and numbers are in the right placed - but then it might have been modelled on a b&w photo.

It is of course quite possible that late survivors were painted in a colour other than black once black was superseded as the livery for service vehicles and there might be pictures of them somewhere.

It is of course quite possible that late survivors were painted in a colour other than black once black was superseded as the livery for service vehicles and there might be pictures of them somewhere.

Mike,

how quickly do you think shunters' trucks in particular would have been totally repainted - other than perhaps a slap of paint lying in the yard shed and renumbering into 'OD' branding? What would have triggered a re-livery of a shunters' truck? Living as they did in the yards, there wasn't much corporate image value to anyone other than for the railwaymen who used them. Perhaps this model is plausible for the very early 1950s?

I ask from pure ignorance here on my part.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

how quickly do you think shunters' trucks in particular would have been totally repainted - other than perhaps a slap of paint lying in the yard shed and renumbering into 'OD' branding? What would have triggered a re-livery of a shunters' truck? Living as they did in the yards, there wasn't much corporate image value to anyone other than for the railwaymen who used them. Perhaps this model is plausible for the very early 1950s?

I ask from pure ignorance here on my part.

I honestly don't know - all, of the few, pictures you see of them 'in traffic' show as looking fairly grubby although they probably didn't suffer as much in that respect as wagons running in trains which got far more brakedust, and possibly loco smoke etc, weathering than wagons which spent most of their life going no further than the far end of their home yard. And of course by their very nature lots of surface dirt was rubbed straight off by Shunters' macs or overcoats rubbing against them.

I suppose I was taking notice of them as a vehicle from around the late 1950s and my memory suggests they were all black - or rather all those that I saw were black and i definitely cannot recall seeing any in new paint, of any colour.  So to me I remember shunters trucks as black, others may have different memories of course.

... my memory suggests they were all black - or rather all those that I saw were black and i definitely cannot recall seeing any in new paint, of any colour.  So to me I remember shunters trucks as black.

Thanks Mike.

With any luck the model will be reintroduced in the future in departmental black.

It seems to be that they have done plenty of research into the GWR livery but not enough on the BR livery. I am still looking forward to seeing the final product as this is a much needed wagon in the RTR scene. Would I right in saying that the the GWR Shunter truck is the smallest OO wagon on the range overall if you include the other big OO manufacturers?

When did these wagons last through until? I'm just wondering whether they could be used in conjunction with BR blue diesels? Did any find further use as match trucks for 03s or other classes?

Jenny, I found this of Mike (Stationmaster's) from a couple of years ago:

Definitely one at Reading West Junction in 1966/7 but I can't recall any in use in any South Wales yards in 1971 (or elsewhere come to that) so they probably went around the mid/late 1960s at the latest.

One reason for their demise would have been the increasingly widespread use Of 350hp diesel shunters which (officially) had footsteps on which a Shunter was allowed to ride and changes in rerailing practice (and management thereof) which meant yards were no longer supposed to keep re-railing equipment of their own. And no doubt they were pretty worn-out by then anyway.

from this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14376-gwr-shunters-trucks/

• RMweb Gold

When did these wagons last through until? I'm just wondering whether they could be used in conjunction with BR blue diesels? Did any find further use as match trucks for 03s or other classes?

Adding to what 'Chard has already very kindly linked on the WR there would have been no need, apart from their intended purpose, to use them with 204hp/Class 03 shunters because on the Western these could generally be relied on to operate track circuits unlike the situation on certain other Regions.  And I seriously doubt that any other Region would have been interested in taking over redundant shunters' trucks when the Western had finished with them - but you never know ;)

Jenny, I found this of Mike (Stationmaster's) from a couple of years ago:

from this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14376-gwr-shunters-trucks/

The one at Burry Port and Pembrey lasted until the yard shut (1984); it saw not just blue diesels but the TOPS era. I think it was kept to facilitate shunting the Marcroft wagon works.

The GWR Shunter Truck (41736) which now resides on the Severn Valley Railway was moved from Canons Marsh Goods Depot in Bristol in 1974. The Wagon Survey lists 9 preserved examples of GWR Shunter truck. The exceptions being 100377 and 96845 which were built from GWR Mink A Vans. I am guessing the majority of the preserved examples would have been purchased from the goods yards when they were no longer required.

• RMweb Gold

The GWR Shunter Truck (41736) which now resides on the Severn Valley Railway was moved from Canons Marsh Goods Depot in Bristol in 1974. The Wagon Survey lists 9 preserved examples of GWR Shunter truck. The exceptions being 100377 and 96845 which were built from GWR Mink A Vans. I am guessing the majority of the preserved examples would have been purchased from the goods yards when they were no longer required.

If one came from Canon's Marsh Goods it had 'no longer been required' for quite a while, the goods depot and the line to it were closed in 1965.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

In regards to my comment on the now locked "Hornby GWR Shunter's trucks... OUT NOW!"

See my reply to your OP in this topic. It's an error, it should be 41048. Not sure about the Gloucester one, though, it doesn't appear in any lists I've seen. See Atkins et al. and gwr.org.uk (with linked allocation list).

Nick

Thanks Buffalo, I did bring this up myself when the wagons were first announced. Brought up the "number" on their Facebook page but looks like no one listened. Seems like Hornby should have done some more research into these wagons. Nevermind though...

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as the brake is 'on', would I need to file some flats on the wheels?

Regretfully, I don't recall one being allocated to Llantrisant.

Did Radyr have one? Can't remember.... How about Cathays?

Ian

Archived