what would be the best controller for DC

jimikelly

Hi there ,I have a fairly large DC layout 16 x 16 x 16 x 16  double line ,right now I am controlling it with 2 x Hornby 2000,are these ok or would I benefit from a upgrade to a stronger unit ,I only need to power the track as the lights are powered by a 3amp transformer ..any suggestions ???? I also have a section ;loco depot ;;running in DCC, this I am using for sound and effects only with no locos on the DC track..only as static, or with light movement...

• RMweb Premium

Any reason why you think you might need a 'stronger unit'? Having a DC controller with a higher output means that you could run more locos on a train, i.e. double or triple header. Perhaps you meant a controller with better features? The Gaugemaster ones would certainly be better.

But, since you apparently already have some DCC, why not go down this path, rather than spending money on another DC controller?

Any reason why you think you might need a 'stronger unit'? Having a DC controller with a higher output means that you could run more locos on a train, i.e. double or triple header. Perhaps you meant a controller with better features? The Gaugemaster ones would certainly be better.

But, since you apparently already have some DCC, why not go down this path, rather than spending money on another DC controller?

I would go down the dcc way,but the cost of chipping all locos was a bit  O T T not to mention the wiring nightmare

What wiring nightmare in DCC? A well wired DC layout is ready to go DCC, and  may subsequently be progressively simplified by removal of unnecessary section switches and the like. Decoders are not that expensive now if good deals are looked for.

...I have a fairly large DC layout 16 x 16 x 16 x 16  double line ...

This alone is worthy of discussion. How many modellers short of space would benefit if you might be peruaded to reveal your secret?  ;-)  (There should be a clown smiley here, but today the smilies don't want to come and play.)

I'd be lost without my old AGW inertia controller (PE401 I think), but I'm a bit of a Luddite. Actually I think it's older than both my kids combined. Unlike them, it works perfectly and always does what is asked of it...

It was a tragedy that the best controller, the H&M Walkabout, disappeared when Hornby took over H&M.  To me, it was an act of coorporate vandalism.

I bought six when a local supplier, actually the local garage, sold up in 1976.  Sadly they are now beginning to fail one by one and only two remain.

If I have to replace them, it will most likely be with Gaugemaster although they are not in the same street as Walkabouts.

Derek

Archived