Deltic 16

Guest 838rapid

Guest 838rapid

Copied from Preserved Diesels website.

Beaver Sports, the owners of 55022, have announced the completion of the purchase of D9016 'Gordon Highlander' after the proposed sale to DRS was not completed. It is planned for 55022 to collect D9016 from Barrow Hill early next week and move it to its new home at the East Lancashire Railway. Both Deltics should operate at the diesel event on Saturday January 9th. The new owners would like to express thanks to HNRC and Barrow Hill staff for their co-operation and to Dave Greenwood for spending all of today examining the loco prior to its move. Special thanks to the East Lancashire Railway for allowing the owners to base another locomotive there.

They are back together again.

What superb news.

Made my new year

wink.gif

Copied from Preserved Diesels website.

Beaver Sports, the owners of 55022, have announced the completion of the purchase of D9016 'Gordon Highlander'

They are back together again.

What superb news.

Made my new year

wink.gif

Excellent news - Good for Martin and the folks who are making a real effort to get 022 back on the mainline again so we can all enjoy her !

Who are Beaver Sports and why do they own two Deltics?

Just 'google' Beaver Sports, their website is very informative, if you click on links, you can find the 'Class 40 preservation society' link. I used to to see Martin regularly when I worked on the station at Huddersfield, he's done very well for the 'Deltic' cause and their history in preservation would surely have been depressingly different if he hadn't stepped in. Personally, I want to say 'thanks' for keeping the memory alive, and wish him all the best for the future

this is the plan of action for deltic 16 in the short term

It is also planned to have both locomotives running on the ELR on February 13th, after which the operational engine from D9016 will transferred to 55022 as a short term measure to get RSG back into full working order at the earliest opportunity. Once the overhauled unit is completed, the plan is to use D9016 as a running in test bed for this unit

this is the plan of action for deltic 16 in the short term

It is also planned to have both locomotives running on the ELR on February 13th, after which the operational engine from D9016 will transferred to 55022 as a short term measure to get RSG back into full working order at the earliest opportunity. Once the overhauled unit is completed, the plan is to use D9016 as a running in test bed for this unit

Engine swap, test bed?? Sounds like a donor

Martin Walker has made no secret about his reasons for buying D9016.

To quote (originally posted on the Yahoo Deltics group so it's in the public domain)

"Think it's pretty damned obvious to anyone with half a brain why I've purchased

16!!

My intentions are clear and remain as stated since purchasing 22 and as

displayed on the RSG site since it's formation. "Our Mission is to ensure that

55022 is preserved in running order with mainline certification".

OK, you can add to that hauling passenger trains which it can't do much of and

doesn't receive the required support when it does.....

Obviously we would like to see both 16 and 22 operating on twin engines on the

mainline and that clearly is the goal, however in the meantime we will endeavour

to restore 22 to passenger work and 16 to preservation running as soon as

possible and preserve both locomotives in as good condition as possible backed

by a regular and thorough maintenance regime.

So if anyone has plenty of spare time on their hands and is not shy of getting

dirty, may be some would like to come and help us??, 16 needs plenty doing to

him.

For the Knockers out there, don't worry chaps, expecting plenty of moaning as

it's clear you can't do Sweet FA without some whinging ;<) and if you don't like

it, then that's just tough ###### I'm afraid!!!

Cheers,

Martin XXX"

Excellent news - Good for Martin and the folks who are making a real effort to get 022 back on the mainline again so we can all enjoy her !

Jonny - As far as I know 55022 hasn't been "off" the mainline since Martin Walker bought the loco. "RSG" went out from Bury to Barrow Hill yesterday to bring 9016 back to Bury and there are some very nice snowy shots of the pair at Bury after 9016 towed 55022 along the provate line.

Jonny - As far as I know 55022 hasn't been "off" the mainline since Martin Walker bought the loco. "RSG" went out from Bury to Barrow Hill yesterday to bring 9016 back to Bury and there are some very nice snowy shots of the pair at Bury after 9016 towed 55022 along the provate line.

I know what you mean, what I was referring to was getting some railtours going again - 22 is still mainline certified but limited on one engine - Martin did try to run a tour before christmas with a reduced load, but cancelled due to lack of interest - I know the intent is to be back on the mainline on 2 engines which is what I was really referring to !!

I fancy a nice Kings Cross to Carlisle Via the S&C, and then a run across to Newcastle and a charge back down the ECML in the summer !

Archived