RMweb

New member from Jersey

hospitaltrain77

Hi all, Im new to this forum but Ive had an interest in model railways for most of my life. My main area of interest is GWR/Western, although my layouts have generally varied from the small country branchline terminus. My very first serious layout was fictitous pithead involving real lumps of coal, since then Ive modelled fictitious locations as depicted during the height of the Blitz c1940/41. This involved an urban viaduct, complete with bombed buildings. My first attempt at modelling a real location doubled up as a GCSE  CDT design and realisation project (we had to make 3 products-wood, metal and "other materials")my "other materials" project was a model of Torquay railway station and I have to say it was a success. The only sad thing was that I had no room for it, however the sale of which funded my first car! As I left home, university, then life took over and I had to store all my collection. I have recentely re-started the hobby and am in the process of building a small diorama of a branchline termini,although this is a variation from the norm-this is Shipston on Stour, set immediately at the end of the Second World War, goods only,in a poor state of repair and strewn with weeds. When I get a bit more space (and time!!) I hope to model the rest of the branch in a simalar fashion, eventually achieving the junction, moreton in the marsh, bring this forward in time to represent the time of very early nationalisation.

My name implies a somewhat "hospital" theme-I do indeed work in one of these institutions as a registered nurse. I live in Jersey with my wife and 2 sons,however we are planning on returning to the UK in the next couple of years. I am originally from Newton Abbot, hence the GWR interest

Hi,

Brother in law lives on Jersey so know it quite well. Do they still have their annual show ?

Welcome to RMweb.

Stu

yes they do at St Peters Hall and its usually over Easter weekend. My wife usually comes with me and bans me from taking my wallet as I get a bit carried away at these things-its a nice afternoon out for my boys as well

Welcome to the forum! Having stayed at Corbiere on numerous occasions, I have walked the route of the Jersey Railway many times....

(My father is currently building a model of one of the JR/JER locos and I've got an idea on how to do one of the railcars if I can find a Triang Southern Electric trailer car at a sensible price!)

• RMweb Gold

Hello and welcome. If you have any questions or need any info, just ask. Somebody usually has the answer. 

A lovely place to live, is Jersey.

I've always had an interest in the JR&Tramways (and the GWR as well of course!)

A model of St Aubin Station has always been a wish of mine.

• RMweb Gold

Hi and welcome,

Good luck with your next project.

As you know already, search or ask. I'm sure the answers (and responses) are here.

Kev.

Welcome to the forum! Having stayed at Corbiere on numerous occasions, I have walked the route of the Jersey Railway many times....

(My father is currently building a model of one of the JR/JER locos and I've got an idea on how to do one of the railcars if I can find a Triang Southern Electric trailer car at a sensible price!)

By the triang, do you mean the old 2-BIL model? I know Hornby have started making one but I dont think its very cheap. There were 2 railways in Jersey-the western (3ft gauge) and Eastern, from St Helier, via, St Clement, le hocq, following the coast up into Gorey. The Western was also from what is now Liberty Wharf in Town, via west park, skirting the seawall to St Aubin, in the same fashion as Dawlish Warren (minus, of course, the red sandstone cliffs), then spur up to Cobiere, via LesQuenavais/ Red Houses. Corbiere railway station remains extant as an extensively refurbished dwelling. I would love to hear from anyone who has attempted to model any aspects of these railways and am interested in your fathers work

Hello and welcome. If you have any questions or need any info, just ask. Somebody usually has the answer. 

A lovely place to live, is Jersey.

I've always had an interest in the JR&Tramways (and the GWR as well of course!)

A model of St Aubin Station has always been a wish of mine

St Aubins railway station is now St Brelade parish hall, so the building is easily captured-not sure on the track layout though. St Aubin would be a lovely backdrop to model

By the triang, do you mean the old 2-BIL model? I know Hornby have started making one but I dont think its very cheap. There were 2 railways in Jersey-the western (3ft gauge) and Eastern, from St Helier, via, St Clement, le hocq, following the coast up into Gorey. The Western was also from what is now Liberty Wharf in Town, via west park, skirting the seawall to St Aubin, in the same fashion as Dawlish Warren (minus, of course, the red sandstone cliffs), then spur up to Cobiere, via LesQuenavais/ Red Houses. Corbiere railway station remains extant as an extensively refurbished dwelling. I would love to hear from anyone who has attempted to model any aspects of these railways and am interested in your fathers work

Yes, that's the model I mean. I have a broen-off driving end fished out of a scrapbox, which with the jumper cables etc removed makes a reasonable pass for the boiler end of one of the railcars. Matching unpowered trailer cars do turn up from time to time, but the cheapest I've seen so far is £20, which still seems quite a lot for something I'm going to hack about. Hopefully the prices/availability will drop when the Hornby model appears - it's remarkable to see how many "rare as hen's teeth" Triang Blue Pullmans are turning up now Bachmann have done theirs....

When I said I'd walked the Jersey Railway, it was the western line I meant (though its official title was I believe the Jersey Railway & Tramway) as I have often stayed in Highlands Hotel (opposite Corbiere station), which for some years had a coffee bar styled on one of the JRT carriages (now sadly removed). I have also had lunch at Millbrook station, and have walked the last mile or so of the JER at Gorey.

My father's loco is based on one of the JER 0-4-2Ts, using a Hornby 14XX chassis - I'll see if I can get him to provide a photo or two. Though it's somewhat of an interloper on his layout, which is firmly mainland based!

Archived