Caley Pug - none made it?

RedgateModels

There were only two built and both were sold by the LMS in 1935 with one scrapped c1940 and the other one scrapped 6/56 when at Corby steel works.

Eh, sorry but what were all the ones I've seen in BR livery doing?

Dave.

Guest stuartp

Industrial -  Are you getting mixed up with the Barclay pugs the CR inherited from one of it's joint lines ?

Redgate - It depends how much work you want to do. New cab uppers, stovepipe chimney (?)  and dumb buffers as a minimum. The Hornby one is overlength though to fit the GWR 101 chassis - if you correct that (Branchlines do a chassis) you'll only have the saddle tank and smokebox left from the Hornby one.

Guest stuartp

They were originally a Neilson* standard industrial design, later bought by the two mainline companies with minor alterations. There was a genuine industrial one (i.e. not a main line cast off) still in NCB service in the 1960s at one of the Ayrshire collieries although the LMS and BR later sold some out of service. 

The Hornby Caley pug is indeed a Caley pug but stretched a bit to fit an existing chassis, other than an oversized backhead to clear the motor there's nothing wrong with the body that chopping 8mm out of the saddle tank doesn't cure. The Branchlines chassis gives you both options, either scale or stretched, see my signature for a link to a (so far incomplete) build.

(*Or possibly Dubs - distentangling which Scottish loco builders went bust and were bought out by whom and in what order is a bit like trying to keep track of who Liz Taylor is married to.)

• RMweb Gold

Carry on the discussion chaps, all very enlightening :)

There was of course a reason for my original question and that was I'd put a cheeky bid in on eBay for a kit that in the end got sniped away from me at the end, so panic over for me :lol:

Would be nice to have an O gauge Caley in full CR livery as I have the Hornby version from my childhood collection (with a spare body sprayed LMS black)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link to your pug project Stuart.

I had no thoughts about one until I saw a recent article in Bylines on Dundee Harbour lines which featured one with an 'attractive' looking wooden tender. Lovely!

Archived