RMweb

Coalville Engine Shed Leicestershire

Philip52LC

Hello all,

I've suddenly developed an interest in this location partly due to a large number of my late relatives living in and around the town and working in the mining industry. Despite spending well over an hour trawling the internet last night, I couldn't find too much about the time when it was a steam shed, though I found a site with loco allocations.

Is there anyone out there who could point me in the right direct for information regarding the shed, track formation and surrounding area please?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Philip

There were two other sheds at Coalville (one LNW at Charnwood Forest Junction, and the other LNWR somewhere near the LNWR station of which little is known)

The main (LSR>MR>BR) shed to which you probably refer has the following history. I have a 1901 track plan but it is virtually unchanged from the 1938 plan given in the above reference (except that by then the single track shed had been demolished). There are also a few good (and no so good) photos in the same reference.

It is quite a cramped site and lends itself well to a model layout.

There were two other sheds at Coalville (one LNW at Charnwood Forest Junction, and the other LNWR somewhere near the LNWR station of which little is known)

The main (LSR>MR>BR) shed to which you probably refer has the following history. I have a 1901 track plan but it is virtually unchanged from the 1938 plan given in the above reference (except that by then the single track shed had been demolished). There are also a few good (and no so good) photos in the same reference.

It is quite a cramped site and lends itself well to a model layout.

Not counting the engine sheds at quarries and collieries their were only two engine sheds at Coalville - The main MR shed at Coalville Town and the LNW shed at Charnwood Forest / Coalville Junction - This one served the LNW engines using the A&NJR - It was a single track and of wooden construction - it had a turntable and a very large water tower - The shed was demolished in the inter-war years but the water tower survived into the early 1960's. The Charnwood Forest branch station was at Coalville, East but it didn't have an engine shed - The only shed and water supply on this branch was at Loughborough, Derby Road station.

I would recommend a CD from the Leicestershire Industrial Society called "The Leicester to Swannington Update 2010:Compendium" which covers Leicester West Bridge to Swannington - it concentrates more on the Desford to West Bridge section of the line but still has some interesting information and photo's in the Coalville area.

I've got several books at home that cover the Leicester to Burton line so I'll compile a list for you. There are scale drawings of the Coalville MR Shed in one of the modelling magazines which I'll dig out as well. Finally I've got lots of photo's and maps of the Coalville area and The Charnwood Forest branch so if you're stuck for anything let me know.

The RCTS have quite a few photo's ...... http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/search.htm?company=&subtype=&class=&location=Coalville&srch=&page=0

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/index.htm?location=coalville&srch=&page=0

I would strongly recommend that you write to the Kidderminster Railway Museum......... http://www.krm.org.uk/ , email :- photographs@krm.org.uk

The Midland Railway Study Centre ........... http://www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/catalogue.php ...... do a search on Coalville (case sensitive)

e-mail...   enquiries@midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk

63091.jpg

63150.jpg

63239.jpg

63530.jpg

63887.jpg

65355%20Photograph.jpg

65356%20Photograph.jpg68487%20Coalville-98008%20Compressed.jpg

68488%20Coalville-99231%20Compressed.jpg

11071%20Poster%20Compressed.jpg

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

Paul

All,

Thank you so very much for all the info and photo's and I will certainly be following it up in the next few days. I initially placed the enquiry partly out of curiosity as to whether I'd get replies, but quite frankly I'm overwhelmed by the response . I've been contemplating modelling a MPD for the past two years but could never make my mind up. Looks now though that I've got a potential site, though all the A1,A3 and A4's I've collected look as though they need exchanging for 3F,4F and 8Fs.

Once again many thanks to all who have taken the trouble to reply.

Regards

Philip 

If your local, there is some useful reference material available at the Snibston discovery centre shop in Coalville. I also seem to remember there was a wagon works nearby off mantle lane. A lot of my relatives, like yours mined and worked on the railway from Coalville, my great uncle was an engine stoker and my grandad and great grandad all mined in the area.

A pictorial Record of the Leicester and Burton Branch Railway / H.N. Twells / Trent Valley Publications / ISBN 0 948131 04 7

Leicestershire's Stations - An Historical Perspective / Andrew Moore / Laurel House Publishing / ISBN 0 9533628 0 9

Railway Connections - Steam Days On The Leicester To Burton Line / Ken Hunt / Coalville Publsihing Ltd. / ISBN 1 872479 17 0

For some excellent drawings of the engine shed and sand house at Coalville Town......

Model Railway News January 1965 - Two Shillins and Sixpence from all good newsagents !! :-)

I have contacted Kidderminster Railway Museum and they do have lots of photo's around the Coalville Area

Cheers

Paul

Dave,

Thanks for the info but unfortunately I live in deepest Wiltshire but will contemplate a trip to the area in the spring. Otherwise I might try and persuade my brother in Derby to venture out.

Paul, 

Again, many thanks for additional info. I've had a quick look at both the Kidderminster and Midland Railway Study Centre sites and will delve further into obtaining photo's. also thanks for contacting the formrt, much appreciated.

eaa1uk,

Thanks very much for the photo.

Regards

Philip

Archived