Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

RE: Tender lining is correct too, on the tender chassis/footplate, not on the tender body as with C of Aust.  Also the LNER on the left hand side of tender looks correct.

I have left my order for Sir Nigel Gresley with a box shifter, but am not fussed if I miss out.

MArk in OZ

And they tell me the models will be sent now in 2 separate deliveries - 3 mid august and the other 3 end august.  Not 1 per month as previously stated.  So the full set in the next 2 months.  (That info came from Hornby)

Nrm at SHildon knew how many sets they were getting and sold their last one on Sunday.  £999.00

Further to this and Nelson's post earlier...anyone know where individual loco's may be available?  Or anyone out there willing to transfer an unwanted pre-order? 

I was too late to get a pre-order in and would like a BN, UoSA and SNG.

Martin

Thanks for that Andy.

Was going to notify the forum, but found you already had!

By pure coincidence I phone Hornby at about 11.25 and was informed of the steps they were taking. A copy of my pre-order was promptly emailed over to them. Hopefully all done and dusted... much joy.

Edit - you might want to pin the Hornby notification?

I can't help but conclude that Hornby are missing out on a significant marketing opportunity there -

It's worth clarifying that Hornby wouldn't have been in a position to be retailing at the event as it would have required manning a sales stand for the duration and also the NRM ensured that retail sales would be through their shop or any stands or societies linked to the locos or the museum.

It's worth clarifying that Hornby wouldn't have been in a position to be retailing at the event as it would have required manning a sales stand for the duration and also the NRM ensured that retail sales would be through their shop or any stands or societies linked to the locos or the museum.

Fair enough, but they could have supplied the NRM. There have already been tens of thousands of visitors to the event - it really is a lost opportunity for Hornby

Fair enough, but they could have supplied the NRM. There have already been tens of thousands of visitors to the event - it really is a lost opportunity for Hornby

Sorry, but having spent virtually all my working life in a different industry but where similar situations have occurred as have happened with Hornby and certain suppliers this year I feel that the following business rules / ethics should apply:

1) Manufacturers should not sell directly to the public

2) All franchised dealers should have equal access to the available stock

3) No one should be able to buy cheaper from the manufacturer than a franchised agent.

To be honest 30 plus years of experience tells me that whenever a Manufacturer gets involved with retail sales it just cocks things up totally. Manufacturers do not understand retailing and if I had a £1 for every time I have seen a manufacturer screw up a market place  (and including for themselves) I would be a very wealthy man.

Sorry for the post-York mega-posting atm!

Managed to get a few individual shots of the pre-production(?) models (below)

Generally look good. As noted above, the chrome trim on 4489 is on the tender chassis and thus in line with the loco. Good listening by Hornby

My main gripe is with 60009. The crest is now central in the numbers (unlike the CG mockups and the previous Commonwealth Collection loco) BUT it looks a little too large - the crest is the size that the crest panel should be. A shame.

Also the Springbok looks like it is printed on. In the case of the speed record plaques this is not a problem as an etch can be stuck on top. With Number 9 it is more complex since any etch should be fixed slightly proud of the body (e.g. with dot of 0.5mm plasticard as a bracket), thus there should be green underneath. I'm probably splitting hairs here, and I hope it is just thick mockup and not a reflection of the final model.

Generally looks good, especially Mallard with its burnished handrails!

post-4226-0-66035400-1373577983_thumb.jpg

post-4226-0-53328100-1373578019_thumb.jpg

post-4226-0-70939300-1373578147_thumb.jpg

post-4226-0-92154400-1373578192_thumb.jpg

post-4226-0-23484400-1373578230_thumb.jpg

post-4226-0-19102000-1373578338_thumb.jpg

post-4226-0-35108900-1373578387_thumb.jpg

Want on Sat' to the NRM, we waited almost an hour to get in, 3 people passed out in the queue with the heat. :nono: The place was packed got a number of great photo's of people's heads, and one woman's hand after she pushed me out of the way saying  " her son had to see the trains" :triniti:

Thats all six now as Dominion of Canada was completed tonight. i must say i am happier that i put effort in and very pleased with the outcome. no i wont get the glass cabinet but i have my own. these six can join my other 14 Hornby A4's in there

attachicon.gifDSCF0791.JPG

Looking good. I just want the 6 from the Gathering!

Went along to Great Gathering on Sunday and thought Hornby would have made more of it. I know people mention the shop is there so sales might be difficult, but what would have stopped them adding a sales stand to the stall they could have had and it all went through the NRM books. I looked at the cabinet of A4s and thought Hornby would have made more of that too, as a sponsor for the event they were more noticeable on the headboards than any stall or merchandise they had there. I know if would have been difficult to staff it for a fortnight but surely given other areas like the NYMR had something there, Hornby could have done something akin to a stand they have for a model railway exhibition somewhere. I think it was a missed chance -  a shame as it would have brought Hornby right up to new people and children that could have taken an interest from an event like that...

Pictures I took at the event are here if anyone is interested. http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p718273101

• RMweb Gold

Went along to Great Gathering on Sunday and thought Hornby would have made more of it. I know people mention the shop is there so sales might be difficult, but what would have stopped them adding a sales stand to the stall they could have had and it all went through the NRM books. I looked at the cabinet of A4s and thought Hornby would have made more of that too, as a sponsor for the event they were more noticeable on the headboards than any stall or merchandise they had there. I know if would have been difficult to staff it for a fortnight but surely given other areas like the NYMR had something there, Hornby could have done something akin to a stand they have for a model railway exhibition somewhere. I think it was a missed chance -  a shame as it would have brought Hornby right up to new people and children that could have taken an interest from an event like that...

Pictures I took at the event are here if anyone is interested. http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p718273101

But let's not forget that every single photo taken, let alone published, of the front end of any of those locos will reveal Hornby's name while many will show the banner.  That is an awful lot of exposure of a business name and that will help to keep it in peoples' minds - sponsorship isn't just about selling, it's about presence and promotion of brand and it's sure doing that - to thousands of people.

But let's not forget that every single photo taken, let alone published, of the front end of any of those locos will reveal Hornby's name while many will show the banner.  That is an awful lot of exposure of a business name and that will help to keep it in peoples' minds - sponsorship isn't just about selling, it's about presence and promotion of brand and it's sure doing that - to thousands of people.

At last someone understands. Brand promotion and awareness is the responsibility of the manufacturer and retailing is the responsibility of the retailers.  Apart from any problems with the NRM shop if Hornby started retailing at the exhibition, they may have had problems with Monks Bar Model Shop. Hornby always used to have a requirement that two shops selling their products had to be a certain distance apart - If Hornby had set up a sales stand at the NRM they may have run into problems with local retailers regarding contractual arrangements.

Hornby always used to have a requirement that two shops selling their products had to be a certain distance apart

Oh how times have changed in the retail sector.

Back around Christmas 1948 when I received my first Hornby Dublo set there were two shops selling them at either end of the main street in a small north west home counties market town.

Bernard

At last someone understands. Brand promotion and awareness is the responsibility of the manufacturer and retailing is the responsibility of the retailers.  Apart from any problems with the NRM shop if Hornby started retailing at the exhibition, they may have had problems with Monks Bar Model Shop. Hornby always used to have a requirement that two shops selling their products had to be a certain distance apart - If Hornby had set up a sales stand at the NRM they may have run into problems with local retailers regarding contractual arrangements.

Surely this is a non-problem! If Hornby had actually had models of the locos on display ready for sale, I have little doubt that the NRM (which normally sells Hornby products in its shop anyway) would have been keen to sell them. Can't see that this would have caused a problem. However, if they ain't available they can't sell them

Evenin' all,

We made the drive from North Staffs to York today to see the spectacle of the 6 A4s together...doubled as a father's day outing for my dad. We arrived at the NRM at 10.45 just as the queue to get in was rapidly expanding back towards the station. It took around half an hour to enter the museum and we headed straight for the great hall. The spectacle of seeing them all together was well worth the effort and expense of getting there. Photography wasn't easy (a few clips included below)...given the crowds and the positioning of the locos but the obvious success of the event in terms of visitor numbers was part of the day.

Well done to all involved in putting on this fine show.

Dave   

Guest spet0114

However, if they ain't available they can't sell them

This is the one minor niggle I have about the whole Great Gathering thing. To illustrate :

In 2011 I went to the 'Scotsman Relaunch' at York. Had a great time, wanted a souvenir, bought an NRM exclusive model (the black Scotsman)

In 2011 I went to the 'Deltic 50' event at Shildon. Had a great time, wanted a souvenir, bought an NRM exclusive model (weathered DP1)

In 2012 I went to the Railfest 2012 at York. Had a great time, wanted a souvenir, bought an NRM exclusive model (3717 City of Truro - which was giving rides in the yard)

but

In 2013 I went to the Mallard 75 at York. Had a great time, wanted a souvenir.....couldn't get one.

First of all, there was no suitable NRM exclusive model available.  [i like to give the NRM money when I can and I've already got the Midland compound, Butler-Henderson and 47 798]. Second, the six GG-themed Hornby A4s had all sold out months ago (incidentally, in the Hornby catalogue the GG models have the NRM logo attached to them - as do several others (2-BIL, M7 etc) - but do the NRM get any financial benefit from this 'endorsement'??) and the nearest I could find on the day were those dreadful Corgi A4s, some of which represented the A4s present at York. Besides, I like to go to the event then get a souvenir, not have to pre-order one six months beforehand!! :(

In short, a really wasted opportunity. Even if Hornby didn't want to 'dilute' the collectability of their GG A4s by making more than 500, or 510 or whatever number, then they could have produced something (e.g. Dominion of Canada in pre-restotation condition, a double-tender version of Bittern, the dynamometer car) and made it available in the NRM shop. It would have sold like hot-cakes. I presume that Hornby's sponsorship would have come with conditions ensuring that Bachmann didn't get a look in? I'm sure they'd have jumped at the chance to shift a few more A4s....

Anyway, a minor niggle with an otherwise excellent event and one that appears to be bringing people to the NRM by the thousand.

Cheers

Adrian

I agree Adrian.

Out of interest and apologies if I missed it in the preceding 8 pages but does anyone know how many sets of all 6 are being made?  I'm confused by the total number of loco's - are the loco's in the set counted in the 510 or does that number cover just the single models?

Martin

Archived