Great Gathering A4 Collection

G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

It’s this coach..

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1922

35468 BSK Mk1, it was showing as allocated to Carlisle Upperby until 1990, as Intercity Charter Heritage use On loan.

i saw it in the courtyard as part of the restaurants / bars area last year.

i don’t think it’s used on the Mainline any more, 60103 is outsourced to Riley’s, and nothing else has been in NRM (or FNRM) custodianship on the Mainline for years.

1 hour ago, gregpokes1/Camden said:

So the support coach Mallard used is the same one used on Flying Scotsman with the same number but with "National Railway Museum York" instead of "Friends of the National Railway Museum"?  I've looked for ages trying to make out the number and can't seem to make it out clearly at all!

Read my post! I stated that the FNRM coach was used as an education facility and has now been sold, and that the current NRM support coach did not come into museum use until 1990!!!!

34 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

It’s this coach..

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1922

35468 BSK Mk1, it was showing as allocated to Carlisle Upperby until 1990, as Intercity Charter Heritage use On loan.

i saw it in the courtyard as part of the restaurants / bars area last year.

i don’t think it’s used on the Mainline any more, 60103 is outsourced to Riley’s, and nothing else has been in NRM (or FNRM) custodianship on the Mainline for years.

Um no. The coach in the courtyard is a Mk1 BG that was converted into a lounge/observation car and sold to the museum when the ban on Mk1s at the end of trains came in. This ban has now been lifted, so the BG could (or should imho) be reintroduced to the main line, but probably won't!

So to some up:

Mallard ran with now disposed FNRM BSK support coach.

Scotsman runs with NRM BSK support coach that was preserved in 1990.

A Mk1 BG is in the courtyard as a cafe.

BIG update on 4468 now, folks!  Unbelievable advancements on her are taking shape, and it's all looking up now!  We'll start off with the "worst" news.  The sound chip I thought I had doesn't work and I'd forgotten that it didn't.  Ah, well!  A new one has been ordered, so no worries!  Unbelievably, I've been able to sort out CUSTOM ETCHED "MALLARD '88" headboard and Scarborough borough council creditorial plaques for their involvement in fundraising the loco back to steam in 1986.  As if this couldn't get ANY better, Brassmasters has now offered me separate etches for a discounted price for the bogie and frame overlays, and  TMC models has agreed to customize a Bachmann MK1 brake coach and will renumber/rename it to the FNRM coach 4468 hauled between 1986 and 1988.  This is getting VERY exciting!

Gregpokes1. This is my Mallard with Alan Gibson scale wheelsets and brass nameplates , worksplates and plaques.  I painted the wheels a more brighter red then painted the rims silver/chrome.  Its also been glossed.  And for comparison 6229 Duchess of Hamilton underneath. 

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

That looks really good.  I've since done some work to mine I haven't shared yet!  Just cleaned up some of the painted areas, and painted the tender axle box parts and added some to the cartazzi pony.  Brassmasters bits and etched products are on their way to me!IMG_7574.jpg.3b7225569ad49a304858217e3e0f7355.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7580.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Mallard is nearly complete!  However... I'm celebrating the life of Dwight D. Eisenhower today.  Fifty years ago to this day, President Eisenhower passed away.  I've purchased a Hornby R2896XS 60001 'Sir Ronald Matthews' and renumbered and renamed her to 60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower.  Still in great need of polishing after I clear coated her, here are some photos of my model.  If you don't know the history of 60008, here is some background information I typed up!:

Fifty years ago to this day, the United States lost one of our best presidents: President Eisenhower.  Dwight D. Eisenhower and Great Britain had a wonderful relationship, and it’s no wonder a train was dedicated to his use in Great Britain during the second world war. Originally named ‘Golden Shuttle’ and carrying running number 4496, a London & Northeastern Railway A4 class streamlined steam locomotive was renamed to ‘Dwight D. Eisenhower,’ after the great president himself.  In 1946, the locomotive carried the number 8 pre-nationalization of the British Railways network.  In 1948, when all four major railway companies were nationalized, the locomotive gained a new running number: 60008.  The locomotive gained a double Kylchap blast pipe, like her sister ‘Mallard’: the fastest steam locomotive in the world at 126 mph shortly after.  To honor one of the best presidents in United States history, I have purchased a Hornby A4 class.  The model, originally numbered 60001 ‘Sir Ronald Matthews,’ was converted to 60008 ‘Dwight D. Eisenhower.’  The reason for purchasing the ‘Sir Ronald Matthews’ model was that the locomotive came pre-fitted with sound (at a bargain price!) and had the correct streamlined, non-corridor tender, which is how 60008 is preserved to this day.  Remembering one of the United States’ best presidents today.

image.png.2a69c11ace7c8e6a3139cb72d52643bf.pngimage.png.4984cf65834f800c4a9d60c7ff75a601.pngimage.png.909fe6b4fdf519e2b1dea20e0052d98d.png

Here is 4468, folks!  She's been in the works for a while, now. The front bogie (as I didn't understand the different gauges between OO and EM) was not replaced by the Brassmasters version.  It came from the same donor Bachmann A1 as the valve gear.  It's difficult to get a good angle of the front bogie so these photos will have to do for now.  On the topic of valve gear, the eccentric cranks were replaced from the Bachmann A1 after the connecting rod and crosshead.  The cylinder drain cocks are made completely from scratch using solid-core copper wire that was bent to shape with pliers and cut with scissors.  All six ipes (3 per side) were made individually and glued together to the original Hornby attachment.  The original Hornby attachment was used but the pipes were simply cut off and replaced.  The guard irons turned out great as did the front bogie, although difficult to see from most angles.  Unfortunately, after this, I decided I wanted to go the gloss route.  NOT A GOOD IDEA!  Mallard now is in need of a completely new body shell and tender shell.  Hornby has CLEARLY changed their painting process since the change of factories and it is painted rather cheaply.  To say the least, I am upset, but fortunately, the major modifications were only done to the chassis and the only modifications done to the shell were using paint.  I am upset because I was hesitant to gloss her in the first place.  A bittersweet moment here, as I am given a chance to paint the details better this time, though.  I am soon planning on ordering another donor loco for the body shell and tender so off we go again!  The support coach is on its way to (hopefully) be completed by the end of this week.  I have express headlamps and even a 'The Scarborough Flyer' headboard already lined out.  Wish me the best of luck on painting details on the new body shells!

IMG_7757.jpg

IMG_7758.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I hope one day Hornby reissue “The Great Gathering” and “The Great Goodbye” A4 models again with tweaks to bring them to current standards and maybe some or all with sound options.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I hope one day Hornby reissue “The Great Gathering” and “The Great Goodbye” A4 models again with tweaks to bring them to current standards and maybe some or all with sound options.

That’s not gonna happen. It’s called a Limited edition for a reason. They wont do them again. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

That’s not gonna happen. It’s called a Limited edition for a reason. They wont do them again. 

Well not in exactly the same form, but a successful seller does generally rise again, even if the differences are minimal.

4468 and now 4464 have been issued since 2013, I would consider theres a compelling case for a 60009 to appear in the short term too. It might not be a set of 6, but theres nothing stopping them coming back in singles.

This was a once in a lifetime limited edition...

https://www.vectis.co.uk/Bachmann-oo-gauge-2-6-2-lner-4771-v2-locomotive-green-arrow-in-wooden-display-box-with-limited-edition-certificate-no_459204

until this appeared with OHLE warning flashes..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/134761/Bachmann_Branchline_31_550A_LN_03_Class_V2_Gresley_2_6_2_4771_Green_Arrow_LNER_Doncaster_Green_National_Collection/StockDetail.aspx

and then this one with 21st century OHLE warning flashes...

https://www.hattons.co.uk/38460/Bachmann_Branchline_31_550B_Class_V2_Gresley_2_6_2_4771_Green_Arrow_LNER_Lined_Doncaster_Green_as_preserved_/StockDetail.aspx

Many other examples exist amongst several manufacturers. Limited Editions are limited only by imagination.

The V2 is a sore point with me. I didn’t like Bachmann’s limited editions in a wooden box because I felt I would destroy something special by messing around with it. Sticking real coal on and other suchlike activities doesn’t seem to matter so much on a bog standard release. However, I wanted Green Arrow and so bought the limited edition. I do remember thinking that It was foolish to limit the production of such a desirable locomotive. Of course, as you have pointed out, Bachmann came out with some flannel about an improved mechanism and continued to churn them out. Humph! :angry:

On 02/04/2019 at 11:34, Hilux5972 said:

What happened when you glossed it? I don’t see anything wrong with it 

These two pictures were taken pre-glossing.  I've decided to collect all great gathering locos now, or at least renumber/rename locos until I have all of them :)  I have a hunch that getting correct tenders for all six will prove to be the most difficult part...  I primarily model BR late on the mid-eastern region, but the Great Gathering/Goodbye locos are a must have for me!  I fit DCC sound to nearly all of my locos, as I get MUCH more enjoyment out of them this way.  I received my 'Golden Plover' in the mail yesterday and will rename/renumber her to 60017 'Silver Fox', as she is one of my all-time favorite A4s.

2 hours ago, Mersey507003 said:

With reference to the Alan Gibson driving wheels & axles, can I ask please if they fit the Hornby Gresley A1 & A3 locos and the peppercorn A1 aswell.

Also do I take it correctly that the valve gear screws just screw straight into the wheels without any modifications or is some modification required to do this.

Thankyou in advance for any replies given.

Alan Gibson wheelsets will fit A1 A2 A3 and A4, however make sure you the correct rim and diameter wheels as there are many variants.   All my LNER, LMS , Bullieds locos and Duke have them. 

Yes screws should go straight into he wheels. (could be wrong though) 

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

Archived