Industrial Railway Locomotive Sheds

Gordon A

Today I paid Simon Castens well known railway book emporium Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop on the edge of Bath a visit. I purchased a copy of Adrian Booth's Industrial Railway Locomotive Sheds - A Pictorial Selection for £12.95

As the tital states this book contains 146 black and white pictures of industrial loco sheds in alphabetical order. The book covers a wide range of track gauges from standard 4ft 8.5" down to 200mm. Contained within the black and white photographs of the subject are a good selection of steam and diesel locomotives in industrail service.

All the pictures contain information such as location, when the picture was taken, the basic structure and layout of the building as well as details of any locomotives (And the occasional crane) contained within the pictures.

I have just spent an enjoyable couple of hours working my way through the book looking through all the pictures and captions.

For any one interested in industrial railways I would say that this is money well spent, and as a modeller as well there is plenty of inspiration contained within the photographs.

Gordon A

Bristol

• 1 month later...

Hi

Is there much of the Scottish coalfields, I am on a budget these days and unfortunately the is nowhere near where I live that has this book.  I don't want to buy it and be disappointed, any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Hi there,

I did browse a copy, at the Shepton Mallet Narrow Gauge show the other week
I was sorely tempted, but put it back down....

... On returning home, I wished I'd bought it....
Ah well, next time! - Or perhaps Simon will have somethnig else to tempt me with? ;)

Looks a fab book

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I did glance at this book last time I was in Simon's shop I don't recall detail of its content, other than it's probably a lifetimes worth of industrial modelling inspiration.

I'm sure Simon would be more than happy to advise you it's content by e-mail simon@titfield.co.uk , or if you ring him he'd leaf through it while you are on the phone summarising the content - 01225 462332.

No connection, other than as a frequent customer, tea drinker and biscuit muncher at the shop!

Adrian

Hi

Is there much of the Scottish coalfields, I am on a budget these days and unfortunately the is nowhere near where I live that has this book.  I don't want to buy it and be disappointed, any info would be helpful.

Thanks

1 image each of:

Burntisland, Fife

Comrie, Fife

Costains, Newmains, Strathclyde

Frances Colliery, near Dysart, Fife

Polkemmet, West Lothian

Waterside, Patna, Ayrshire

Total number of images in the book = 146

Of course if you join the Industrial Railway Society you can acquire this book and many others they publish at a discounted member's rate ...........

Of course if you join the Industrial Railway Society you can acquire this book and many others they publish at a discounted member's rate ...........

Unfortunately raising the postal rates to 20% offsets much of the savings, unless your order is over £60 (post free).

Archived