SOUND MODULES FOR DC

jimikelly

I,v been looking on the internet for a sound module system to fit on to my baseboard .maybe on to a wagon behind the loco ,but nearly all sounds a bit naff . loke someone playing around with a synth,s white noise  ,,,,does anyone know or can put me on to a realistic sound module for OO .

Some would suggest if you do not have feedback controller nor high frequency track cleaner to use a DCC loco sound chip as many are set by default to operate on DC.

Do you mean ,that a DC loco can have a sound chip installed  with a bit of rewiring... 

I,v been looking on the internet for a sound module system to fit on to my baseboard .maybe on to a wagon behind the loco ,but nearly all sounds a bit naff . loke someone playing around with a synth,s white noise  ,,,,does anyone know or can put me on to a realistic sound module for OO .

DC KIts have some, but they are only for shortish sound files, on the site I saw them.

Keep an eye on Ebay.com for a MRC  SynchroSoundbox (no longer made). This is a black box that connects to the track and has press-buttons that simulate the various sounds - available in Steam/diesel/both - I feed the output into a set of powered speakers, under the board, intended for a computer and turned UP a diesel horn is loud enough to practically make your ears bleed! - They are currently becoming a bit hard to get hold of, but are available now and again. MRC also do a control unit to operate DCC sound  in locos running on DC

MRC is Model Rectifier Corporation. You want a version that runs on 16vAC - remember that mains in USA is 110v!

Do you mean ,that a DC loco can have a sound chip installed  with a bit of rewiring... 

Most locos can quite easily be fitted with a DCC sound decoder.  Many of the newer ones are just simply taking out the blanking plug and then plugging in the decoder.

As I said before these only work if you do not have a feedback controller or a high frequency track cleaner such as RELCO.

With steam the operation is pretty good but there is a disadvatage with diesels as you go through the engine startup sequence each time you start or change direction.  I ran a couple of sound fitted locos on my DC testtrack just for fun a while ago.

If you know someone DCC you can even get them to randomise some of the aux sounds.

.....MRC also do a control unit to operate DCC sound  in locos running on DC.....

Just a note of caution and a correction.

The MRC Tech 6 range of controllers, do not provide sound on DC, except for what can be had from any (non-feedback) DC controller; i.e. basic sounds.

These controllers provide two modes of operation.....

Standard Mode

Ordinary DC operation for non-DCC fitted analogue locos (DC locos).

Basic sounds can be obtained from sound decoder equipped locos, just as on other DC controllers.

Dual Mode

To access the full range of sounds and decoder functions. 

This is a very basic implementation of DCC and can only be used with DCC decoder fitted locos, both sound and non-sound.

All non-DCC locos, i.e. DC only analogue locos, must be removed from the track before this mode is selected.

In other words, the same rules apply as for DC locos on a DCC powered layout.

If already in possession of a perfectly good DC controller, there is no sense in buying one of these hybrid controllers.

In order to get the DCC functionality, it will be more cost effective to purchase a budget DCC system instead and simply switch over from DC to DCC when required.

The only difference between doing that and theTech 6, is that with the Tech 6 there is no need to switch between controllers, only the switching of modes.

However the Tech 6 has to be disconnected from the mains when modes are changed, so the advantage of having a single controller largely goes away.

The benefit of buying a budget DCC system instead, is that it will give access to full DCC capability, rather than the stripped down version being provided by the Tech 6, and probably for a lower price.

• 5 months later...

I thought i better add something on here .I have a Tech 6 and never disconnect it from the mains to switch modes.Just push the buttons .Its a good solution for what it does and it does it well .You can also change CV's with it on track but cannot read any values .I have used to program Tsunami CV's

Martin

Archived