4mm scale Jaguar XJ mk1 or mk 2 - any models available?

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Having tried a quick internet search for either of the above and found nothing, I thought I'd consult the collective wisdom of RMweb and see if anyone could point me in the right direction for a 4mm model of one of these Jaguar saloons.

Many thanks.

Neil, I'll dig the Corgi & Zylmex out and measure them. I suspect they'll be around 1:70, possible on the 'wrong' side.

Corgi Juniors varied in scale, like Macthbox, but sometimes you get lucky. For example, if your a 3mm scale modeller, they did a rather nice Duple Bella Vista 25 that's practically spot on (though the Whizzwheels version suffered with poorly reworked wheel arches).

Here they are:

post-1877-0-87834800-1498930353.jpg

Both seem to be to the same scale*, though the poorer fitting bumpers of the 'Summer' (not Zylmex) coupe make it longer, so I scaled on the measurements of the Corgi and it is almost precisely 1:67 scale.

*The coupe, though s.II, kept the original shorter wheelbase of the original s.I saloon. A longer wheelbase s.I saloon was added  to the range (XJ6L), but s.II saloons only had the longer wheelbase. Both models are the same width and wheelbase, and have the same length from headlight cowl to rear wing tip, but the coupe is 2mm longer over the bumpers.

I have one of the earlier Corgi 'Rockets', which contributed to a part of the Junior range later. While it is quite a nice model it is definitely too large for OO. As Bernard says, it comes out at 1:67, as near as makes no odds.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Bernard, looks like I'll need to be patient and wait till something suitable arrives from one of the die cast companies.

That's a posh motor that you need Neil! Has Morfa gone up in the world?!

Ah well, I thought a Jag would be suitable set of wheels for a certain visitor to mid Wales, but I could always go the Range Rover route.

Archived