If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

A newbie Scouser living in North Yorkshire

YK 50A

Hi,

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.  I'm a 43 year old full-time Father of 4 and am currently reliving my childhood with my soon to be 10 year old son.  My 13 year old daughter also has an interest, although she hasn't inherited the OCD gene!

Most of our stock dates from the TOPS era, although there is some blood and custard, steam and green diesel in there.  My son was not around in the 1970's, so unlike me, has no interest in recreating it - he likes trains!  I do not have the patience or the skill for super detailing, although I've spent good time "restoring" old Triang-Hornby era loco's from my childhood which now run far better than I ever remember them running when they were new.

My interest is in amongst Hornby RailRoad Stanier coaches, Triang-Hornby Type 3's and early tooling Bachmann engines (for example), is having a 2 or 3 fairly prototypical rakes of coaches and appropriate and relatively accurate and well detailed motive power to haul them.  The rest is upto my son!

I have experience of managing a profesional online user group and was also a moderator for a Liverpool Football Club fanzine forum.  I will do my best to ask questions in the appropriate areas and research all I can before coming here.  However, I am sure I will make mistakes at some point, so please bear with me.

Thanks,

Alun

Hi and welcome Alun,

I'm a (plastic) scouser living in Norfolk - we have to do our bit I guess.

Never be afraid to ask you will get plenty of assistance.

Welcome to the forum Alun. There is always advice and interesting stuff that other modellers are doing on here if you need inspiration.

Thanks to you both - already getting some great info.

Hello Alun,

Welcome to the forum.

I can understand where you coming from, as a father of 4 also!

My youngest (12) is also into railways, but he's a Gresley fan.  :secret:

Jeff

Nothing wrong with Gresley!!  Although the closest we have to anything to do with him right now is his bogies under a Mk1 Restaurant Car. :wink_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alun and Welcome,

Room in this parish for all and ask away - the rest of us do!

4! I tip my hat to you sir.

I have 1 and that's bad enough.

He's now 5 and half and dosn't show any extra interest in railways above the super interest he shows in everything!

Kev.

(Manchester.)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alun, welcome aboard to you and your team.

Hope your daughter takes up the opportunity to join in - I never had that chance as a kid so now it's like teaching an old dog new tricks well beyond its best by date.

At 13, I loved history:  I would have been the ideal person to send off to Google something - had we had computers in those days, of course.  I'm sure she has some brilliant talents and to have a good team with lots of different attributes is a God send.

Hope to see your posts on here - lots to keep you informed, on track and amused as well.

Polly

Hi Alun and Welcome,

Room in this parish for all and ask away - the rest of us do!

4! I tip my hat to you sir.

I have 1 and that's bad enough.

He's now 5 and half and dosn't show any extra interest in railways above the super interest he shows in everything!

Kev.

(Manchester.)

The North West and transpennine services over to York and Newcastle, then Deltic's and Duff's to London and Scotland.  Recreating a little of that is where I'm at.  Sky Sports at 1pm though.  :wink_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Hi ALun and welcome aboard

As you're already finding this is a friendly and helpful forum - so dig in, and you'll get all the answers you need - and if you can't find anything, just ask.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

The North West and transpennine services over to York and Newcastle, then Deltic's and Duff's to London and Scotland.  Recreating a little of that is where I'm at.

Hi Alun,

The Newcastle/Scarborough-Liverpool/North Wales TP services were brill.

From Class40 haulage and "rasping" TP units (Class124), then generators (early class47s), then Peaks (Mainly class45/1s) but with the - creme de la creme - Deltics sprinkled in to the mix until their demise in Jan82.

All with lots of gradients, tunnels and stations starts - glorious...

Kev.

Hi Alun,

The Newcastle/Scarborough-Liverpool/North Wales TP services were brill.

From Class40 haulage and "rasping" TP units (Class124), then generators (early class47s), then Peaks (Mainly class45/1s) but with the - creme de la creme - Deltics sprinkled in to the mix until their demise in Jan82.

All with lots of gradients, tunnels and stations starts - glorious...

Kev.

I remember a few Class 46's and a good number of Class 31's (31/4's?) working hard on the trains over from Manchester and Liverpool too.  The Trans-Pennine 124's were almost as big a treat as loco hauled, but not a Class 40 or a Deltic.  I remember them after they'd had their buffet cars taken off them.  I'm not sure if the timetable has improved much since then.  As a child, I remember it taking roughly 2 and a half hours to get to the NRM and it now takes roughly 2 and a half hours to take my children "home" to Liverpool.

It's a shame I didn't realise the significance of what was happening until the late 1970's.  I took all sorts of wonderful things for granted, like a Gresley Buffet in a mixed rake of Mk1's and what I imagine were the original Mk2's, mixed rakes of Stanier and Mk1 BG's, the earlier classes of electrics on the west coast, double headed Class 25's as station pilot at Victoria and a Class 44 shunting at York (very rare I think) to a backdrop of 45's and 46's in the yard.  When I win the lottery, etc, etc, etc, a fictitious junction "somewhere" on the East Coast, with Deltic hauled 12 and 13 coach rakes of Mk2D's with a Mk1 BG, RU and RMB along with mixed rakes of Mk1's and Mk2's making their way over from Liverpool with any number of different classes at the helm.  And a Trans-Pennine DMU of course!

For now, I can just about get away with "representative" 5 coach trains and to be fair, not sure my son notices, lol.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alun,

You need to add the "Heaton-Redbank" returns (Sunday) for double headed class25 leading a class40 pulling a rack of 20+ (very) odd assortment of vans/coaches/brakes/cct/BG/GUVs/etc of varying ages and sources - A whole history lesson in one train!

Kev.

Hi Alun,

You need to add the "Heaton-Redbank" returns (Sunday) for double headed class25 leading a class40 pulling a rack of 20+ (very) odd assortment of vans/coaches/brakes/cct/BG/GUVs/etc of varying ages and sources - A whole history lesson in one train!

Kev.

While not familiar with this particular working, I remember similar.  A Class 24 on it's way up from Shrewsbury (I think) with said mixed rake of history and a couple of Mk1's apparently just in case.  You wouldn't believe it was possible these days.  Then there was all the titles my team won - and the football specials - Class 40's and Mk1 and Mk2Z SO's and TSO's!!!

Archived