London Underground. Birthday When Was It?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

When exactly did the first bit of the Metropolitan Railway open?

Most of my literature says 10th Jan 1863, however some quote the 9th!

Which date is correct (even Royal Mail and some newspapers say the 9th) and why the discrepancy?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

The point is, I think, that the "Eastern Counties" did not start off as part of the Underground.   Presumably it went through ownership by the GER and then the LNER first.

Best, Pete.

Indeed. Leyton was not served by underground/tube trains until 5th May 1947.

• RMweb Premium

There was a train for Directors and invited guests (600?) on Jan 9th - public service started on 10th.

Thanks

That could explain the discrepancy 

And sources frequently say that they completed: 150 years of running on 10th January 2013. Which implies it started on the 9th January.....

Best, Pete.

Pete

Wouldn't that mean it started on the 11th? e.g. one complete year is from 11th jan to 10th jan.

Keith

And sources frequently say that they completed: 150 years of running on 10th January 2013. Which implies it started on the 9th January.....

Best, Pete.

Pete

Wouldn't that mean it started on the 11th? e.g. one complete year is from 11th jan to 10th jan.

Keith

I hope this question is settled soon; one of my great-nephews was born on 20 January 2001, so I'd like to know whether I should take him his twelfth birthday present on the 19th or the 21st rather than the 20th, the day he usually receives it.

• RMweb Gold

I hope this question is settled soon; one of my great-nephews was born on 20 January 2001, so I'd like to know whether I should take him his twelfth birthday present on the 19th or the 21st rather than the 20th, the day he usually receives it.

I think if he was born on the 20th Jan he should get a present on 20th - it being the anniversary of his birth not the start or end of any year.  However, if you want to annoy people with pedantry you can state categorically he was born in the first month of the new millenium.

(There is no year zero, hence the millenium really started 00:01 01Jan2001 but there were many less people around to party with at that time) 

Thanks

That could explain the discrepancy 

Pete

Keith

"Frankly, my dear, I do not give a damn" :drag: Just quoting sources................ :senile:

Best, Pete.

Just in case anyone is still interested in the original topic, perhaps we should go on what the Metropolitan Railway itself said in its booklet "Diamond Jubilee of the Metropolitan Railway Sixty Years of Public Service", which was published on 1st January 1923  to celebrate its 60th Birthday.

"On the 10th of January 1923, the Metropolitan Railway will celebrate its Diamond Jubilee, for sixty years ago on that date its line first opened to traffic".

On that basis if it was up to the Metropolitan Railway Co Ltd.it is the 10th, i.e. the first day open to traffic. That's good enough for me.

• RMweb Premium

Just in case anyone is still interested in the original topic, perhaps we should go on what the Metropolitan Railway itself said in its booklet "Diamond Jubilee of the Metropolitan Railway Sixty Years of Public Service", which was published on 1st January 1923  to celebrate its 60th Birthday.

"On the 10th of January 1923, the Metropolitan Railway will celebrate its Diamond Jubilee, for sixty years ago on that date its line first opened to traffic".

On that basis if it was up to the Metropolitan Railway Co Ltd.it is the 10th, i.e. the first day open to traffic. That's good enough for me.

Cheers.

That settles it for me!

Keith

Most of us have never actually rhett that book.   Coat on, door ajar........

[useless Trivia Department]

If you had, you'll know that the actual quote was without "my dear", the words were inserted by Clark Gable.

[/useless Trivia Department]

I picked up a (rare) copy of " The Story of London's Underground" at the St Alban's show yesterday. This was the 1974 edition of the book that was originally written for the Met centenary celebrations in 1963 and goes in to detail about the public opening on January 10th.

It depends on how far you want to go on the 150th anniversary front.  The City and South London (now part of the Northern Line) opened for business on November 4th 1890 and the Inner Circle was completed and opened for business on October 6th 1884.

Moorgate celebrates 150 years on December 23rd 2015 so that gives me a little target to work to with my layout.

Archived