RMweb

Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Always need a few Grids on shed! Still waiting for Hornby’s Large Logo beast…….
The floor will really change the whole look of the inside, especially once weathered and covered in clatter. Getting closer to the finish line……

Hi Ian, I agree, 001 would look nice with Test car 6.

This would be nice to model:

6089335456_c91f977580.jpg02.03.85 Toton MPD   58005 & 58004 by philstephenrichards, on Flickr

And then this:

8534681246_50649b80d5.jpg60001 Toton TMD 28-12-89 by Wilbert B, on Flickr

• Like 7

Hi Alex, great to see your progress as ever. The info on the pit lighting is very interesting and looks superb the way you are modelling it. I must admit I do like seeing the EWS traction appear on shed and blue 56006 is a cracker. That last photo of 60001 though is very nice its a favourite loco from the early lima model I got years ago when it first came out.

Look forward to seeing more

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for your comments. I sometimes think about modelling the late EWS and early DB period but then the amount of stock I would need to cover both modelling periods would just be ridiculous! Oh and I am not sure I could bring myself to purchase lots of 66s!
I too had a few Lima 60s, not quite up to the Hornby version! I definitely will have to model 001. Plan to have quite a few of the first ten 60s, 002,003, 004, 005, 008 and may be 010. Might even have the first 20 or so! May be I am just getting carried away…..

I totally agree class60lover, any 60 is nice! I am getting excited about getting the floor down, it will be a big step forward for the whole project.

Just found these superb photos on Flickr so thought I would share them:

Nice variety here, I like the 25 with snow ploughs:

15621256570_5a59ed3f5f.jpgWorks029 by D863, on Flickr

15806105075_4daff0d69b.jpgWorks028 by D863, on Flickr

Nice Large Logo Grid on the wheel lathe:

15620917107_3b6d2eac5e.jpgWorks021 by D863, on Flickr

Now this is just quality:

15782435396_f321aa2c25.jpgWorks019 by D863, on Flickr

Some lovely clatter here:

15804216721_11d9a44dd1.jpgWorks016 by D863, on Flickr

• Like 9

Hi Alex, Some excellent shots there, like the large logo blue grid on the lathe. Have you thought about 20088 https://www.flickr.com/photos/16819691@N08/7395566506/in/photolist-cgwdgm-dJcJ3p-e2X3RX-dCNZNS-icqSTi-k7du8L-pkLbY6-icrpA8-eeXuoU-fMWYCw-9LYD5j-ahDdrj-9LVTp8-9LYC9C-9a2DZ3-dpFxZv-ohgRTVI only saw it once and that was at Wigan Springs Branch, managed to get round the depot one cold Sunday morning and it was sat inside, think I was about 12 at the time! Now I feel old. It did not hang about for long, think it may have done a few Parkside and Bickershaw jobs then returned to Toton diagrams.

Cheers

Simon

Nice shots of the test car, Alex. Some good ideas there. An excuse to run two 58s together too! I know they occasionally used to be double-headed at weekends as well. Rubs hands with glee.

I'm hoping to find time this week to sneak off to the railway room to paint my depot floor.

Cheers

Dave 

Hi Simon, they did look good in Large Logo. Whilst I don’t always visit the different sections of the forum I must have missed the announcement that Hornby’s Large Logo 56 has been delayed again and put back to next year. I see it was mentioned in the latest Rail Express Modeller. Typical!
So we now have to wait until next year and no doubt with a price rise too…..never mind, might have to ask Father Christmas for a couple more 58s instead!

Lovely photo of 20088. Yes I have thought about having a model of it but with snow ploughs. I am now trying to remember if I ever saw it!
I feel old too, thinking back to those days when I was also in my early teens!

Not sure if I have posted this link before but I plan to model 088 as it is in this video:

If like me you enjoy that period it is a great watch, 13:57 and then 17:32. Lovely choppers!

• Like 2

Hi Dave, I really am going to have to get a model of Test car 6. I seem to recall that over the Christmas periods in the mid to late 80s they used to double-head workings that were further afield as insurance against failures.

I hope you manage to find time this week, looking forward to seeing your results!

Hi Mark, thanks for your comments. I sometimes think about modelling the late EWS and early DB period but then the amount of stock I would need to cover both modelling periods would just be ridiculous! Oh and I am not sure I could bring myself to purchase lots of 66s!

I too had a few Lima 60s, not quite up to the Hornby version! I definitely will have to model 001. Plan to have quite a few of the first ten 60s, 002,003, 004, 005, 008 and may be 010. Might even have the first 20 or so! May be I am just getting carried away…..

If you start running 66s then my finger would have to poise over unfollow! Haha.

Some great pictures though Alex. I wish I could get away with 60001bob test but its just a tad too late on.

Not really as 45110 was binned in july '88 and 47190 was repainted around august of the same year. I only have a window of may to july '88 in order to run those locos with 37688 in contruction sectir colours! '89 is a push unless I dont run 45110 or 47190.

Could you not have say a running session where you start in 1988, use the stock from that year and then as time goes by so does the period and changes to traction? Then as the 45s are withdrawn you can then introduce different stock and finish in 1989 with 60001.

I have considered doing something similar. My period stretches from 1988 to 1992. So was thinking of having some locos which were in the same livery both in 1988 and 1991/92 and then others for specific periods. Need quite a bit of stock mind!
We shall see.

Might just stick to 1991!

I could but it feels like a waste of stock to not run some of it at times. If I were not being so anal about this layout I could just not care and hope no one notices but I'll know its not right. Would make and interesting train though going up the bank fron Derby RTC to peak forest with test car 6 and some hoppers in tow!

Hi Dave,Me too! I often browse YouTube and spend a couple of hours reminiscing!

Another one:

http://youtu.be/cvYPyLT1zHQ?list=UUbKXxNaPQoFqeypqkhr_eBQ

If you really want to go to town and love nostalgia this is your place to visit!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UU976FPan_haqrdYQhQvZufw

Enjoy!

I cannot wait until I can play trains!

• Like 1

I know what you mean, it would be a waste and you want it to be as right as practically possible. I keep thinking about modelling my depot around a set day. Either the 20th of February 1988, when I first visited Toton or July 1991. Then all the stock would be right for that specific period.
But then is that just a bit ridiculous?!!

Like this?:

5064241575_2fa5aa9f0c.jpgEgginton Junction, 60001 by Walnut Rede, on Flickr

4820012517_dcd6aeb90f.jpg04/06/1990 - York. by 53A Models, on Flickr

I think you should!

• Like 4

Last night I finished off the drawing ready for getting the pieces of mdf for the depot floor laser cut.
The floor will be worked on and installed in three phases. Phase 1 will be the area west of road 1 all the way to the other side of the shed wall, covering all the dead end roads (5 to 15). Phase 2 will be the area east of road 1 to the other wall and also to include the lathe road, road 16. The final phase will include the outer shed area, concrete area to the south of the shed, concrete around the outside of the shed and then the area to the north of the shed where most of the stabling occurs including in between certain tracks. Hope that makes sense!

• Like 2

Hi Ian, I do wonder if I should go back a few years to 1985/86 to allow for the addition of more peaks and 25s. Whilst it is just a bit before my time I do like the idea of having lots of BR blue but with a small splattering of Railfreight Grey and a decent variety of loco classes. May be if I win the lottery!

• Like 2

Hi Alex,

Yeah you should be just like old times. I was born in 75 so I remember stuff from 1979 loads of 20's, 25's, peaks, 08's and some 31's. I used to have a pic of me in the cab of a 31 down at Murphy's oil terminal when they came to pick the tankers up. It is just a shame that the locos were slowly withdrawn from service. The only way nowadays to experience it now would be to go to a preserved railway.

Hi Ian, memories, it is nice to remember the days of our youth! I am sounding old.....

This is how I plan to remember my first visit to Toton, by hopefully recreating scenes like this:

15661117979_d6f5484d34.jpg

image by AP474, on Flickr

15846509932_c0d7863e9b.jpg

image by AP474, on Flickr

Railfreight Grey, lovely!

Tomorrow with the help of Grimley Senior we are planning to try and install some working lights to one of the through roads inspection pits. Time to get on with the inspection pit lighting as I want to get the depot floor down.

• Like 6