The Denver & Rio Grande Western in 0n3

PGH

post-14569-0-99207800-1358110532.jpg

I haven’t found a great deal with regard to modelling the D&RGW narrow gauge on RMweb, or 0n3 Scale or mixed gauge trackwork so I’m not sure what interest there will be in this topic and how far it will go.  Also the USA & Canadian Railroads Forum seems rather lacking in narrow gauge, hence its inclusion under Narrow Gauge Modelling.  Despite the above photo the layout is primarily narrow gauge but with some mixed gauge track for added interest.

The story of this layout probably begins with the acquisition of a 0n3 scale loco.  I have dabbled in American 0 Scale (standard gauge) for about 30 years, running stock on friend’s layouts or the local Gauge 0 Guild’s test track.  However my prototype interest has always been more inclined to the Colorado narrow gauge and I decided to buy just one 0n3 loco (thanks to Ebay), which was duly mounted on a short piece of track and set in a display case.  That was to have been that, but then I bought another loco, then another……….!!!!  Another factor in deciding to construct this layout was a desire to use DCC sound with all the lights, bells, whistles, etc, associated with American locomotives.

The recent past few years have been a particularly opportune time to start in 0n3 scale with the availability of reasonably priced die cast locos from Mountain Model Imports and ready to run rolling stock from San Juan Car Co and AMS.  Also some of the Bachmann 0n30 locos are readily converted to 0n3.

The space available for the layout comprised a room measuring just under 13 feet x 12 feet, less the area of a chimney breast, and with a fairly large window and (of course) a door.  Into this space it was proposed to fit an end to end layout running from a hidden staging (fiddle) yard via a through station, with passing loop, sidings and a loco shed, to a terminus which would be constructed with mixed narrow gauge and standard gauge track.  The layout was also to incorporate a continuous run and the obligatory timber trestle.  To date the benchwork, most of the trackwork and wiring have been completed, together with operating turntables at each end.

Next, the track plan

• RMweb Gold

There certainly are a fair number of us interested including Paul at EDM too ;)

I've a reasonable collection in On30 with the aforementioned models and two of the Broadway C16's as well. It's on the one of those days lists for a layout. I've fitted my K27's with the Tsunami sound decoders which are still my favourite for functionality due to the brake option.

• RMweb Gold

I always regard On3 as the "pure" end of quarter-inch modelling, while those of us who accept On30 standards are a bit OO! I have several Bachmann steamers, a BLI C16 and a couple of their Galloping Geese, too. My focus is the Rio Grande Southern at Ophir, Colorado, and I have a few structures to show for it, too. Still need to complete a roof for the infamous skewiff-y tram-house (nothing to do with trams, it was the terminal for an aerial ropeway bringing precious metals across the mountain).

In short, anything more the OP can bring us on here will be appreciated!

A bit more exotic than Walkden Philip!! Looks very promising, I look forward to following your progress.

I run some Bachmann G scale stuff in the garden, not my serious modelling, but a lot of fun. If you're interested here's a brief YouTube clip of my K27 double heading. Both locos have Phoenix sound cards but with radio control.

Thanks for all your interest

It may be more popular if the thread was in the USA and Canada section.....we could use more steam era Rio Grande.

Best, Pete.

I wasn’t sure where to put it, a toss up between Narrow Gauge and USA & Canadian, or even Layout Topics, although there it would have been lost amongst all the 00 BR main line layouts  :boredom:   I’m not averse to moving it if I can work out how, but for the moment I think I’ll carry on here.

There certainly are a fair number of us interested including Paul at EDM too ;)

I've a reasonable collection in On30 with the aforementioned models and two of the Broadway C16's as well. It's on the one of those days lists for a layout. I've fitted my K27's with the Tsunami sound decoders which are still my favourite for functionality due to the brake option.

Yes, I like the Tsunamis and all my 0n3 locos are so fitted.  The two standard gauge locos are fitted with Loksound XLs because they take well over 1 amp motor current and despite a lot of time spent on a Lokprogrammer they are still not as satisfactory as the Tsunamis.

I always regard On3 as the "pure" end of quarter-inch modelling, while those of us who accept On30 standards are a bit OO! I have several Bachmann steamers, a BLI C16 and a couple of their Galloping Geese, too. My focus is the Rio Grande Southern at Ophir, Colorado, and I have a few structures to show for it, too. Still need to complete a roof for the infamous skewiff-y tram-house (nothing to do with trams, it was the terminal for an aerial ropeway bringing precious metals across the mountain).

In short, anything more the OP can bring us on here will be appreciated!

Ophir – a spectacular location on a spectacular railway, and only three turnouts to construct.  I would guess that there are probably more layouts based on it or including it than any other prototype location in the world.

I love the moxed gauge trackwork, is it all handbuilt.

Jamie

Yes it is, details later

Thanks for the clip Arthur - spectacular,  if only I had a decent size garden I wouldn't be fiddling around in a 12ft x 13ft room !

The Track Plans:

post-14569-0-43273200-1358209253.jpg

Starting from the lowest level there is a five road staging yard with turntable connecting the end of three tracks.  From the staging yard the line climbs at a gradient of 1 in 25 and then levels out to emerge from the hidden track and cross a timber trestle in front of the window opening at a gradient of approx 1 in 60.

post-14569-0-54866800-1358209262.jpg

The through station and sidings are on the level, but at the end of the passing loop the line splits, one track descending at 1 in 60 to join the hidden line from the staging yard and form the continuous circuit and the other track climbing at 1 in 30 and joining a standard gauge line as mixed gauge track to the top level terminus.  The standard gauge heads in the direction of the doorway and could be extended to a future staging yard outside the room.

The basic idea for operating the layout is that trains run from end to end but with the option of extending the trip with a few turns round the continuous circuit in between.

The layout does pack rather a lot of track in a limited space in contrast to the spacious stretched out layouts of prototype D&RGW stations.  Also the scope for scenery is somewhat limited, probably reflecting the fact that I prefer laying track to building scenery.

TBC

I should have added in the previous post that the minimum radius on the 0n3 is 42” and on the mixed gauge 48”

On to the woodwork:

The baseboards comprise 3 main units including 8 separate sections all pinned, bolted or hinged together.

The double-deck through station and staging yard unit is shown in cross section in the sketch below

post-14569-0-84660300-1358363736.jpg

Legs are 2” square with 2” x 1” cross members supporting the three 2” x 1” longitudinals carrying the 13mm ply staging yard baseboard.  The legs extend upwards to support the 2” x 1” timbers carrying the top baseboards – shown in blue.  These have 3” x 1” side members and 2” x 1” cross members with 13mm ply on top.  They are in two sections approx 5ft long, joined together with steel dowels and bolts and are not fixed to the supports but merely rest on top of them.  The idea of splitting the top into two was so that they could be lifted off if required, such as when the point motors and wiring was done, but they are flippin heavy !

post-14569-0-94596800-1358363747.jpg

post-14569-0-48985800-1358363755.jpg

post-14569-0-06383400-1358363764.jpg

View of the staging yard.  The back of the panel controlling the turnouts on the upper level is on the left, connected to the top baseboards by multi-pin plugs.  Track supply goes up by the red and white wires on the right.  The 2” x 1” laid flat between the supports for the top baseboards prevents them from dropping down when they are slid off the rear support.  The two vertical rods mark the position of the Kadee magnets on the rear two tracks when cars parked in front obstruct the view .

The largest ‘unit’ is an L shape with two levels on one leg and three levels at varying gradients on the other.

post-14569-0-04263800-1358377182.jpg

Bottom level track base complete and track laid.  The train at left has just reached the top of the 1 in 25 gradient from the staging yard, the other is on the continuous circuit.

post-14569-0-21064500-1358377191.jpg

Looking the other way, the rear of the train is crossing what will be a stone retaining wall.  The trackbed on the gradient up to the top terminus is in place.

post-14569-0-32066100-1358377208.jpg

At this point I decided that the track laid on plywood and two 1/8” layers of cork was a little too noisy and changed the trackbed to plywood + Sundeala + one layer of cork.

post-14569-0-38017300-1358377217.jpg

This was changed to MDF + Sundeala + cork for the terminus as it would make a neater job of the hole for the turntable pit.  I think the Sundeala probably does make some difference to the noise, but with the DCC sound on you don’t really notice the improvement.

post-14569-0-93299100-1358377226.jpg

Terminus baseboard is now complete with ties laid up the gradient for the mixed gauge track and turntable pit ‘excavated’.

post-14569-0-23989000-1358377247.jpg

The track in the foreground and most of the plain track is PSC (Precision Scale Co) flexitrack.  The layout was designed on a CAD program and this was invaluable when cutting the plywood profiles on this section with three trackbases at varying gradients

post-14569-0-27053800-1358377263.jpg

post-14569-0-19482700-1358377416.jpg

post-14569-0-30677800-1358377273.jpg

Hinged doors allow access to the track under the terminus baseboard

I hadn't realised you had been photographing this layout as you progressed. It has turned out to be very usefull seeing as so much is currently out of sight. I remember seeing all those sleepers laid and the prospect of the spikes you would have to hammer in when laying the rails. Let me see now, my shed is 14 foot long and the track has been laid and ripped up four times to date. Mmmm, that means I've laid 56 feet of track in five months.........I'm glad it didnt have to be spiked down...! :biggrin_mini2:

The third major item is the trestle section across the window.  I wanted this removable for possible future access to the window, but at 78” width between the other adjacent sections it would have been too large to suspend between the two and so it was made as a free standing structure.  The actual trestle is some way in the future and at the moment there is just a temporary "bridge" across the gap.

post-14569-0-57584500-1358433588.jpg

The problem was that the space between the other two sections tapered out towards the window and if it had been made as one single unit it would have been impossible to get it out.

post-14569-0-97811200-1358433598_thumb.jpg

Therefore a small triangular section was provided at one end.

post-14569-0-83584600-1358433641.jpg

By removing this first and then rotating the unit it can then be removed.

post-14569-0-97996300-1358433650_thumb.jpg

The triangular section is located by hinges with removable pins.

post-14569-0-85188200-1358433662.jpg

and the main unit by similar means in the back corners

post-14569-0-58405300-1358433682.jpg

and a turned steel bolt fitting into steel sockets at the remaining corner.

post-14569-0-47034200-1358433691.jpg

The last items to complete the baseboards are the two hinged flaps across the doorway.

post-14569-0-15270100-1358436983.jpg

post-14569-0-02444400-1358436995.jpg

Track power is carried across through the hinges.

post-14569-0-34114700-1358437004.jpg

The drop ends are located by hinges with the pins removed. 

Also shown here is the steel U shaped rod which acts as a safety stop at the open track end. 

post-14569-0-40591900-1358437013.jpg

The rod is automatically raised when the flap is lifted by a spring so it forms a barrier in the centre of the track.

post-14569-0-07099100-1358437023.jpg

Very neat work. Have you tried the power-carrying hinges before?

Best, Pete.

No Pete this is the first time I’ve used that method, and of course with DCC you only need two connections for any number of tracks.  On another layout with a lowering instead of raising flap I needed 6 connections for track supply and point motors on the flap and I used spring plungers from old bayonet light bulb sockets as shown below.  These were set in holes in the end timber with a wire soldered to the end and make contact with short lengths of brass rod similarly set in holes with wire attached (or brass drawing pins would do).  As the flap closes they make a slight wiping contact and have been 100% reliable in over 30 years of use.

post-14569-0-62186500-1358460866.jpg

Why crawl when you can build very neat lifting sections. I have to say this because I'm hoping Phil will build me one! Seriously though, it is hard to admit that crawling under things becomes more of a hazard as one increases in age. The occasional bump or scrape on the cranium can be a bother with no hair for protection. The odd crick in the lower back can render one useless for days and doomed to watching daytime TV. That notion alone is enough to make anyone settle for the safety of a lifting flap. :boast:

Your joinery skills seem pretty good, so have you thought about arranging the door to open the other way? That is not into the room but into the hallway outside. That will eliminate the lifting section altogether, unless you cannot crawl under the layout of course.

I hate duck-unders, I think they are an absolute pain, and as coachmann says when you get older they can involve actual pain.  I’ve experienced them on other people’s layouts and usually at some point manage to leave part of the top of my head (which has no natural cushioning material now) embedded in the underside of their baseboard.  Lifting sections may look unsightly when they are up (and I find they are much easier to use than lowering flaps) but they are the best alternative for me.

On to the track construction

The 0n3 track comprises three sections, all laid to a slightly different gauge.  First the hidden track and some of the visible plain track is PSC flexitrack with code 100 rail.  Points were custom made by Marcway to speed things up, as all the hidden track had to be laid before the baseboards could be completed.  They are very satisfactory in operation but I wouldn’t like to use them on any of the visible trackage.

Before leaving the hidden track it may be of interest to describe the turntable at the end of the staging yard.  There are two turntables on the layout, both very different in appearance and operation.  The staging yard turntable is merely a flat disc whereas the other has a girder deck and pit.  The only thing in common is that both are driven by means of rubber tap washers.

post-14569-0-81601400-1359214467.jpg

This photo shows the table and the ends of the three tracks connected to it.  On the far side is a foam rubber 'buffer stop'

post-14569-0-93601300-1359214473.jpg 

First a circular hole was cut in the staging yard baseboard using a Unimat.  This produced a circular disc for the table which was pivotted on a central ball bearing set into a baseboard cross member, seen in the centre of the above photo.  This photo also shows the two brass sprung plungers bearing on brass plates attached to the underside of the table which supply track power and automatically change polarity as the table revolves.

post-14569-0-94545200-1359214480.jpg

The table actually rests on three wheels situated at 120 degrees apart (an idea I ‘nicked’ from another 0n3 layout – always worth being nosey when you visit someone else’s layout and seeing what’s under the baseboard as well as on top !).  The wheels are large rubber tap washers fitted in brass bushes attached to steel axles.  The axles revolve in brass bearings set into wood frames secured to the underside of the baseboard with packing between to adjust the height of the table.

post-14569-0-88706800-1359214493.jpg

The table is turned by one of the wheels, which is driven by a motor and worm drive salvaged from an old video recorder, and some old Meccano gears.

post-14569-0-90554200-1359214504.jpg

Indexing of the table to the three tracks is by means of a brass rod or bolt (shown by the arrow in the above photo) which is driven by a Fulgurex point motor into holes in brass strips fixed to the edge of the table disc.  The change over switches on the motor are wired so that the table motor can only operate when the bolt is withdrawn and also track power is cut off at the same time.

post-14569-0-49384900-1359214529.jpg

The table is operated by the panel shown above.  With the left hand switch in the ‘lock’ position the table is secured with the bolt, the table motor is isolated and the track on the table is live.  Switching to ‘unlock’ the bolt is withdrawn, power is allowed to the table motor and the track is isolated.  The next switch controls the direction of rotation, and the next is the table motor switch.  When the table is fairly close to the required position the motor switch is turned off and any required final adjustment done by briefly operating the table motor by stabbing the push button on the right.  The final adjustment, say about 1mm, is done by locking the table as the locking bolt has a tapered end entering a chamfered hole in the brass indexing plate on the edge of the table.  To the right of the panel is the shaft of a rheostat connected to the table motor power supply, normally left untouched but can be used to speed things up if required.

• 1 month later...

Archived